Rock the Vote '24: update (09/10) - It's "Debate Night" - do yourself a favor and play a video game instead

7 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Someone on ResetERA posted an absolutely fantastic idea in response to the post I made about Project 2025:

Yeah - this is something that absolutely should be done!

We’re probably not getting much policy specific information and messaging until after the convention and the party platform is established

9 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

We’re probably not getting much policy specific information and messaging until after the convention and the party platform is established

We're not going to get much Democratic policy-specific information and messaging until then, but there's absolutely no reason to not go all-out in highlighting Republican policy-specific information right now!

I really, really like he idea of having the "Project 2025 Horror Show Post of the Day" on the campaign's Xwitter feed that describes the policy, its impact on the life of the ordinary person, and then directly cites the exact page/paragraph/author, etc. from the actual document itself.

RiAL8qo.png

Notable that Fuentes isn't pulling support because of any ideas or policy, it's because he thinks Trump is going to lose. There is nothing more dangerous to strong men than looking weak. Someone here pointed out a while ago that many people simply want to be a part of the winning team, no matter who that is. That's why when it looked clear that Obama was likely going to win, many people jumped on board the hype train. If the narrative becomes that Harris is popular and is going to/could win, then some people will move to her and abandon Trump (or at least just abandon Trump).

• stepee 1
  • Halal 1

I wish she would drill down into greater detail, and I don't necessarily buy that they have to wait til after the DNC to do so. Politicians do this more out of trying to broaden their appeal, with the conventional wisdom being that people don't want to be bogged down in the details, they just want someone that makes them feel good.

About the only person I personally know of that bucked that trend was Elizabeth Warren, and that was the main reason I voted for her in the 2020 primary. She didn't need a convention to come up with detailed plans and ideas, and in fact she made it her slogan, "I have a plan for that". Ultimately her primary bid failed, perhaps a knock in favor of the traditional broad strokes approach. But I still think a lot of people want and need to hear specifics about how their lives will be made better, and in my mind it can only help the campaign.

6 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Lol you guys think actual policy  matters to the American voter :lol:

It might if any politician ever actually fucking talked about policy! It's always catch phrases and overbroad terms like "infrastructure."

4 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

It might if any politician ever actually fucking talked about policy! It's always catch phrases and overbroad terms like "infrastructure."

Politicans in the past have tried to talk about policy and were derided as sounding too much like Professors. There's a WEALTH of information out here at anyone's fingertips If they want to know about policy they could find out. Union members voting Republican isn't any Politician's fault... that's on that Union member.

• stepee 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

RiAL8qo.png

Notable that Fuentes isn't pulling support because of any ideas or policy, it's because he thinks Trump is going to lose. There is nothing more dangerous to strong men than looking weak. Someone here pointed out a while ago that many people simply want to be a part of the winning team, no matter who that is. That's why when it looked clear that Obama was likely going to win, many people jumped on board the hype train. If the narrative becomes that Harris is popular and is going to/could win, then some people will move to her and abandon Trump (or at least just abandon Trump).

I mean it's what dems did so...

• True 2

8 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Politicans in the past have tried to talk about policy and were derided as sounding too much like Professors. There's a WEALTH of information out here at anyone's fingertips If they want to know about policy they could find out. Union members voting Republican isn't any Politician's fault... that's on that Union member.

How far in the past? I can't remember ever hearing a politician seriously talk policy in all my life. And by politician I of course mean a serious contender for POTUS, I think senators do a better job of running on policy at least somewhat. I feel like inbetween the catchphrases and the overbroad sentiment you could still squeeze real policy discussion in there every now and then, give people who do care about policy actual soundbites and videos they can use rather than, like, quoting a constantly changing campaign website. I remember some Republican candidate's website flipped their policy stance a few times during campaign season, which was wild. I don't remember if it was Trump or someone else, but some of the issues were the complete opposite at different points in the leadup to the election. :lol:

2 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

How far in the past? I can't remember ever hearing a politician seriously talk policy in all my life. And by politician I of course mean a serious contender for POTUS, I think senators do a better job of running on policy at least somewhat. I feel like inbetween the catchphrases and the overbroad sentiment you could still squeeze real policy discussion in there every now and then, give people who do care about policy actual sound bytes and videos they can use rather than, like, quoting a constantly changing campaign website. I remember some Republican candidate's website flipped their policy stance a few times during campaign season, which was wild. I don't remember if it was Trump or someone else, but some of the issues were the complete opposite at different points in the leadup to the campaign. :lol:

This was DEFINITELY a criticism levied at Obama, Warren, Kerry and ESPECIALLY Al Gore. In the case of Al Gore it was one of the reasons cited as to why he lost to Bush. Bush spoke plainly and was the guy you "wanted to have a beer with" while Gore was percieved as an elitist snob who talked down to regular Americans. The reason why polticians don't talk about policy or the issues more is because Americans collective eyes gloss over if they have to speak think to hard. It's sad but it's true. We have a dumb, intellectually uninterested electorate especially from Gen-X and up... the voters who tend to vote the most.

• Halal 1

24 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

RiAL8qo.png

Maybe it's the contrast they're finally seeing without Biden being the other guy.  Trump comes out, whines, when he takes questions his answers are clearly nonsense word salad or whining at the person who asked the question.  Trump got lucky Biden looked like shit at that debate, because Trump would turn every question into the stump speech about illegal immigrants.  Like Biden, Trump isn't what he was years ago and he's clearly scared of the fact that Kamala Harris is unafraid to get into a street fight with him and she's got all her senses about her.

Vance took up the mantle of whining about the press as well, he just sucks at it even more because he sucks at everything.  Someone asked him what makes him smile, he didn't answer his kids or meeting American people or anything, he laughed and said dumb questions from the press and how he's mad these days.  It's like the pitcher underhand pitches a slow ball right over home plate and he whacks himself in the head with the bat.

• stepee 1

WWW.COMMONDREAMS.ORG

"The FEC is the nation's election protection agency and it has authority to regulate deepfakes as part of its existing authority to prohibit fraudulent...

An announcement by the U.S. Federal Election Commission on Thursday that it will not take action to regulate artificial intelligence-generated "deepfakes" in political ads before the November elections amounted to "a shameful abrogation of its responsibilities," said a leading critic of the technology.

Cooksey, a Republican, said he plans to close the pending petition on Thursday without taking any action, telling Axios that rulemaking to limit or prohibit AI in campaign ads would "overstep the commission's limited legal authority to regulate political advertisements."

"The better approach is for the FEC to wait for direction from Congress and to study how AI is actually used on the ground before considering any new rules," said Cooksey.

In other words, said Robert Weissman, co-president of Public Citizen, the FEC will "wait for deceptive fraud to occur and study its consequences before acting to prevent the fraud."

• Guillotine 1

1 minute ago, Reputator said:

The better approach is for the FEC to wait for direction from Congress and to study how AI is actually used on the ground before considering any new rules," said Cooksey

Hello to the post chevron age

It depends on what you mean by talk about policy. Nobody goes into exhaustive detail on any proposed policy or reads out the draft language for proposed legislation. We do often get “we’re going to fix medicare” and then other times you get some high level details on what “common sense gun laws” are being proposed. 

town halls are often a great place to see some politicians get a bit more detailed as they are sometimes being asked direct questions and don’t have to deal with the time constraints of a debate. 

what is often interesting is seeing how those same kind policy questions are answered by an incumbent vs when they were running for their first term. They can speak less generally because they actually have first hand information and experience. So their answer isn’t “Im going to reduce government spending in the military” it’s more where they can spend money more efficiently by scaling back budgets jn specific out dated weapons systems and programs. 

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

town halls are often a great place to see some politicians get a bit more detailed as they are sometimes being asked direct questions and don’t have to deal with the time constraints of a debate.

Bingo!

I very much want to see Harris doing town halls as a means of articulating her actual policy positions rather than interviews or however many debates we eventually end up with.

Just now, Reputator said:

I'm sorry, Warren? She was one of the very few that WOULD talk policy.

He's referring to the "criticism" that she talked "too much" policy and therefore came off as "professorial".

• Thanks 1

Just now, Reputator said:

I'm sorry, Warren? She was one of the very few that WOULD talk policy.

Yes and she was labled as sounding too much like a Professor and for talking down to the electorate. I listed folks who tried to talk about policy and were criticised for it.

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

He's referring to the "criticism" that she talked "too much" policy and therefore came off as "professorial".

Yep I realzed that and deleted the post.

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yes and she was labled as sounding too much like a Professor and for talking down to the electorate. I listed folks who tried to talk about policy and were criticised for it.

Jesus no one misses ANYTHING in this thread. :lol:

14 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Policies of the president are irrelevant in the age of Chevron being gone and the judiciary being captured by sycophants 

I genuinely don’t think enough people understand the coup that the judicial branch just had

That needs to be legislative priority number ONE if we ever get back control of congress.

11 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I mean….she was a professor lol

• Halal 1

8 minutes ago, Reputator said:

That needs to be legislative priority number ONE if we ever get back control of congress.

The Democrats will never control both houses of Congress again (I count controlling the Senate as 60 seats), so it's a moot point. Republicans will stonewall forever on the big legislative issues, so it's (I think) a fair assessment to say that any major legislative changes in the US are dead, under the current constitution and form of government.

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

The Democrats will never control both houses of Congress again (I count controlling the Senate as 60 seats), so it's a moot point. Republicans will stonewall forever on the big legislative issues, so it's (I think) a fair assessment to say that any major legislative changes in the US are dead, under the current constitution and form of government.

Theres not much resistance in the party to keeping the filibuster. Even dipshits like mark warner can see the writing on the wall w.r.t Sinema and her resistance cost her her job

THENEVADAINDEPENDENT.COM

A new poll of likely Nevada voters found Vice President Kamala Harris with a nearly 6 percentage point lead over former President Donald Trump — the largest lead for a Democrat in any presidential poll of Nevadans this cycle.

This was a Republican pollster as well.

If she wins NV by this much, shes going to win AZ, GA, and knocking on the door in TX.

• stepee 2
  • Sicko 1