Rock the Vote '24: update (09/10) - It's "Debate Night" - do yourself a favor and play a video game instead

Just now, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Those two are a "given" considering the left flank, but Manchin is important from the "centrist" position.

Yeah, but still important that he’s got the backing of the center right and left flanks of the party. LFG 

• True 1

3 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

If it does turn out that Fetterman had a role in conducting a "smear" campaign against Shapiro, then that's the worst case of "Jew-on-Jew" violence since ~30AD!

Fetterman isn’t Jewish…

The Fox News (I know know, I know) scare article introducing him knocked him for his extreme far left progressive politics like "free school meals and expanded paid worker leave".

• Haha 1
  • Sicko 1

2 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Well, shit - there goes my joke!

In any event, I'm fairly certain that Shapiro has been promised the Attorney General position in a Harris administration, so that should soften the blow a bit.

maybe he'll actually do the job if were lucky 

2 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Well, shit - there goes my joke!

In any event, I'm fairly certain that Shapiro has been promised the Attorney General position in a Harris administration, so that should soften the blow a bit.

I have no doubt that Shapiro will advocate fiercely for Harris/Walz in Pennsylvania too.  In fact, since he doesn't have to travel to a bunch of other states to campaign as the VP pick, he can concentrate on locking up PA. 

• True 1

6 minutes ago, ort said:

The Fox News (I know know, I know) scare article introducing him knocked him for his extreme far left progressive politics like "free school meals and expanded paid worker leave".

I swear, anyone who has issues with free school meals can kiss my fucking ass. 

edit - and not in the good way!

• Shocked 1
  • True 1
  • Halal 2

20 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

If it does turn out that Fetterman had a role in conducting a "smear" campaign against Shapiro, then that's the worst case of "Jew-on-Jew" violence since ~30AD!

Wade really slipping in his old age here, Wade ten years ago never would have made such a rookie mistake. 

1 minute ago, Xbob42 said:

image0.jpg?ex=66b3974a&is=66b245ca&hm=62

Normal people shit!

Now they’re outsourcing hate? How fucking lazy can you get? 

Here’s my roast of the son: He looks exactly like me from age 10-16.

Trust me, that’s a brutal burn. 

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

So what do we think is the cynical and strategic reasoning for Walz over the others? 

Why not Mark Kelly?  His Senate seat is too valuable to risk in a special election.

Why not Josh Shapiro?  Internal polling data indicates that the number of votes "lost" by having him as a surrogate rather than VP isn't worth the "liabilities" of the situations involving Mike Vereb and Ellen Greenberg being hammered on constantly.

• Halal 1

I'm glad it's Tim Walz - I have to learn more about him but from what I understand this is a surprisingly progressive pick for Kamala Harris. On a quick look at some of his policies that seems to be the case. Because policy doesn't matter here (we just have to beat Trump) I get that it's not discussed so I don't have a great idea of where Kamala Harris in 2024 stands on different issues but the way she's done her campaign so far, to the point of picking a progressive VP has been impressive so I'm hopeful she'll be more progressive than her past has sometimes indicated (like Biden before her). I think she learned a lot in the last 4 years under a sometimes progressive president with a lot of experience in Biden (and apparently a young team running the administration).

Will the Republicans call this a DEI hire? Like they didn't when Obama picked Biden? But they said Harris was a DEI hire a lot. I wonder what that could be about. 

:hmm:

• Thanks 1

I don't think that any of the candidates had a significant national profile. 

Walz seems like he ranks pretty high on the "normal likeable guy" scale of things.

25 minutes ago, ort said:

I will never understand how it is that Republicans don't realize that opposing food for kids is unpopular. I feel like they've even largely given up on fighting legal weed.

12 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I'm glad it's Tim Walz - I have to learn more about him but from what I understand this is a surprisingly progressive pick for Kamala Harris. On a quick look at some of his policies that seems to be the case. Because policy doesn't matter here (we just have to beat Trump) I get that it's not discussed so I don't have a great idea of where Kamala Harris in 2024 stands on different issues but the way she's done her campaign so far, to the point of picking a progressive VP has been impressive so I'm hopeful she'll be more progressive than her past has sometimes indicated (like Biden before her). I think she learned a lot in the last 4 years under a sometimes progressive president with a lot of experience in Biden (and apparently a young team running the administration).

Will the Republicans call this a DEI hire? Like they didn't when Obama picked Biden? But they said Harris was a DEI hire a lot. I wonder what that could be about. 

:hmm:

I find it funny how after she was nominated, the GOP had to inform everyone to keep the racist and sexist comments down, but still have no issue with calling her a "DEI hire".

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Kamala doesn't need Walz to flip Ohio Dem..... that's what J.D. Vance is for!

JD Vance won this state in his senate run.  He underperformed compared to other Republican statewide offices and only won his primary when Trump endorsed him.  But Harris isn't flipping this state.  The Democratic Party of Ohio is Sherrod Brown and that's about it.

The only reason the abortion amendment won I believe is there are a large enough chunk of more small L libertarian minded Republicans who didn't like the government telling people what to do along literally all of the Democrats voting in favor of protecting abortion.

I feel like the problem with them ringing the "radical leftist" bell on Walz is that Trump and his ilk have code worded these things so much for so long that when they try to attach a term that they have used in place of "minorities coming to take your stuff" it just doesn't land on a lilly white old guy.

Remember, they tried to do the same with Biden and it was one of, if not the single most, unsuccessful attack they ever laid on him.

Larry Hogan -- the former GOP governor of Maryland who is now running for the Senate -- has kinda/sorta endorsed Walz:

I want to extend my congratulations to Governor Walz on being selected as the Democratic vice presidential nominee. We had the chance to work together as fellow governors, and while we come from different parties, I have always appreciated his dedication to public service. I believe we need more governors at the national level because governors have to actually get stuff done. I wish Tim and his family well in the campaign ahead.

• stepee 1