Rock the Vote '24: update (09/10) - It's "Debate Night" - do yourself a favor and play a video game instead

So I'm not going to get into a back and forth with anyone here, but I DO RTFA and WTFV and I read Vance's entire quote before I posted (I believe I even said that it wasn't as bad as the original edited post of it implied, but was STILL bad) and my point about him signaling to White Suprmacists still stands when you take into context all of the other bullshit this guy has been spewing, some of which @SaysWho? alluded to. What makes it even worse is that he TOTALLY knows what he's saying and who it's targeted at. This is the same guy who called Trump "America's Hitler" so he knows very well what he's trafficking in and who he is messaging with rhetoric like this. He's just doing it clumsily because he's not very good at this and is in fact, WEIRD.  Vance said that the only institution that conversatives have left is The Church which necessitiates them (The Conservatives) "Wielding power RUTHLESSLY" a direct quote from him, and taking over the other insitituions that he sees as an obstacle to their agenda, Academia, Big Business, Entertainment, Journalism etc. No one is taking what this clown is saying out of context, at least I'm not. I'm hearing what he and these guys are saying loud and clear. Agree or disagree, doesn't matter to me to be honest, his worldview seems to be very clear since he's doubling and tripling down on this "Childless women are part of the problem" messaging that he is stubbornly refusing to let go of. That's on HIM. Not us for calling it out for what it sounds like and what it is. In my humble opinion.

• Thanks 1
  • True 1
  • Halal 5

21 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I definitely want to see Harris scheduling multiple "town hall" style meetings with the public in order to better define herself and her policy priorities.

I imagine they're working on the platform now and there will be more of the normal campaigning once they get a running mate and get past the convention.  The hype building can only last so long.  If she can shift to more policy oriented campaign and have the surrogates keep the "they're weird" heat on, maybe it'll have some positive results.  Trump will have to end up debating her and that'll let her get policy out in a highly publicized way.

14 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

So I'm not going to get into a back and forth with anyone here, but I DO RTFA and WTFV and I read Vance's entire quote before I posted (I believe I even said that it wasn't as bad as the original edited post of it implied, but was STILL bad) and my point about him signaling to White Suprmacists still stands when you take into context all of the other bullshit this guy has been spewing, some of which @SaysWho? alluded to. What makes it even worse is that he TOTALLY knows what he's saying and who it's targeted at. This is the same guy who called Trump "America's Hitler" so he knows very well what he's trafficking in and who he is messaging with rhetoric like this. He's just doing it clumsily because he's not very good at this and is in fact, WEIRD.  Vance said that the only institution that conversatives have left is The Church which necessitiates them (The Conservatives) "Wielding power RUTHLESSLY" a direct quote from him, and taking over the other insitituions that he sees as an obstacle to their agenda, Academia, Big Business, Entertainment, Journalism etc. No one is taking what this clown is saying out of context, at least I'm not. I'm hearing what he and these guys are saying loud and clear. Agree or disagree, doesn't matter to me to be honest, his worldview seems to be very clear since he's doubling and tripling down on this "Childless women are part of the problem" messaging that he is stubbornly refusing to let go of. That's on HIM. Not us for calling it out for what it sounds like and what it is. In my humble opinion.

Yeah.

Vance has been a public figure for a minute, he’s published, we’ve seen him speak a bunch, etc. Even in the situation we’re talking about here there just isn’t a compelling reason to give him the benefit of the doubt.

To wit there’s no doubt that some parts of the country struggle with violence, some of those parts are in cities within blue states, some of them are majority black. When Trump says stuff like our cities are war zones… we know what he means.

Vance saying this isn’t blowing the whistle that hard of course, but he’s doing it.

42 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I definitely want to see Harris scheduling multiple "town hall" style meetings with the public in order to better define herself and her policy priorities.

I think we will get more of these types of comments from the press as the days go forward. meanwhile Trump is blathering on about Hannibal lector and confusing the two  definitions of asylum and simultaneously running away from and embracing the Trump project 2025 plan and isn’t held to the same standard because that shit is boring to talk about when you can pin down a democratic candidate on the specifics of any plan that has to go through the meat grinder that is congress and most executive action will likely be shot down by the ideologically captured judicial branch

PA will once again take days to count votes thanks to the GOP:

WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

Republicans in the state Senate refused to change the law and allow mail-in votes to be counted ahead of Election Day, despite widespread calls for change.

It will almost certainly look like Trump is carrying it on election night, and then the mail-in ballots will be counted over multiple days.

• Guillotine 1

Harris is smart to refer to these as "Trump abortion bans" every time she references them:

ClhfL5X.png

WWW.THREADS.NET

More than 1 in 3 women of reproductive age in America now live in a state with a Trump abortion ban. When I am President of the United States, I will sign a law restoring and protecting...

• stepee 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Halal 1
  • Hype 1

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Harris is smart to refer to these as "Trump abortion bans" every time she references them:

ClhfL5X.png

WWW.THREADS.NET

More than 1 in 3 women of reproductive age in America now live in a state with a Trump abortion ban. When I am President of the United States, I will sign a law restoring and protecting...

Thank you for linking to Threads instead of the other place.

• Halal 2

8 minutes ago, Best said:

The right wants the Harris/Trump debate to be ran through Fox. I have no idea how a network gets selected for a debate. 

Both campaigns (when one of them was Biden) already agreed on ABC for the second debate.  Trump is wimping out and wants a friendlier venue now.

• stepee 1
  • Halal 1

11 minutes ago, Best said:

The right wants the Harris/Trump debate to be ran through Fox. I have no idea how a network gets selected for a debate. 

They used to be run by the League of Women Votors until Dubya Bush tweaked the Propaganda machine

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

So much better than Twitter in pretty much every way except the user base size. 

BSKY.APP

Today I learned the director of public policy for Meta, Dustin Carmack, wrote a chapter for Project 2025. Carmack was a research fellow for cybersecurity intelligence and emerging...

• Guillotine 1

12 minutes ago, finaljedi said:

Both campaigns (when one of them was Biden) already agreed on ABC for the second debate.  Trump is wimping out and wants a friendlier venue now.

Interesting...

2024 National GE:

Kamala Harris 47% (+1)

Donald Trump 46%

@MorningConsult

, 11,538 RV, 7/26-28

Unchanged, since last week. She is at 50% favorability though up 7 from last week and unfavorability was down 5, net +4.

• Thanks 1
  • Hugs 1

@Kal-El814 there is literally no doubt about what is meant if you just read the full question and the full response, and don't get primed to believe he was responding to something he wasn't, and include the entirety of the response instead of inexplicably (lol, it is explainable actually) cutting off the remainder of the sentence.

Kelly: "You mentioned Usha; Joy Reid in the montage of media reaction suggested that what your comments get to is that the only valid version of America is is a white woman who stays at home. So, that's your position according to her, you only value white stay at home moms.

Vance: "It's just so disgusting Megyn. And, look, I love my wife so much. I love her because she's who she is. Obviously she's not a white person, and we've been accused-attacked by some white supremacists over that. But I love Usha, she's such a good mom, she's such a brilliant lawyer, and I'm proud of her." 

Reid is arguing this: JD Vance believes the only valid version of America is is a white woman who stays at home

Vance is responding by noting: "Obviously she's not a white person" and "she's such a good mom, she's such a brilliant lawyer, and I'm proud of her."

He is saying that even within his own home, the only valid version of America is not a white woman staying at home because he is married to a brown woman who works. That is literally and obviously what the exchange means. The only way you can come up with the dog whistle idea around THIS exchange is if you think everything is always dog whistle, which is super weird because these dudes say openly gross things on a near daily basis. They don't hide anything because there are no consequences for any of the things they say.

Most people here thought he was responding to attacks on his wife by white supremacists, but he was actually responding to an attack on himself by Joy Reid. Most people here didn't even realize that he said she was a brilliant lawyer directly after the good mom line, going so far as to mock him for not mentioning her legal career :p

Alright, I'm heading to watch Paul Skenes destroy my Astros. Carry on.

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

19VnifU.png

Harris (and ABC) should absolutely insist on going ahead with the debate if Trump refuses to show, and just have her take the questions.

I think they should go a step further. I think they should keep Trump's lectern there and show it vacant.

• stepee 1

12 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Someome went on an ALL CAPS tirade against his OPEC buddies today, accusing them of manipulating the price of oil to benefit Harris electorally.

(Note: the price of oil has declined for the last few weeks due to concerns about Chinese demand).

Maybe Jared can fix it

45 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

2024 National GE:

Kamala Harris 47% (+1)

Donald Trump 46%

@MorningConsult

, 11,538 RV, 7/26-28

Unchanged, since last week. She is at 50% favorability though up 7 from last week and unfavorability was down 5, net +4.

Here's an article with more details:

PRO.MORNINGCONSULT.COM

Harris leads Trump in 2024 presidential race

Key takeaways:

• With her favourability up 7 (50%) and her unfavourability down 5 (46%), that's a 12-point swing in a week
  • Third-party support is down to 4% in this poll
  • In the first week of her being the presumptive nominee, more people said they've heard something good about her, rather than bad (47% to 35%)
  • 17-point jump in favourability among independents
  • Thanks 1

@Jwheel86 - you're off the hook.

WWW.NYTIMES.COM

Mr. Cooper, the governor of North Carolina, had been seen as one of the half-dozen top candidates to join the Democratic presidential ticket. It was not immediately clear why he withdrew.

Gov. Roy Cooper of North Carolina, who has been seen as a leading contender to become Vice President Kamala Harris’s running mate, has informed her team that he has withdrawn from the vice-presidential sweepstakes, according to two people briefed on the matter.

• Shocked 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Rock the Vote '24: update (07/29) - NC's governor Roy Cooper bows out of Harris Veepstakes
42 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Most people here thought he was responding to attacks on his wife by white supremacists

Are you sure about that? :p I know I read the article in full, commented that with the context it was not as bad and several other users have done the same.

I get what you're saying and in a different world I would probably let it slide. But most of us have the opinion that if we had dug ourselves into this hole accidentally by poor wording previously that we could have come out much more assertive and direct to immediately correct the matter. Vance is doing a poor job of that though. Maybe he just really fucking sucks at communication and keeps failing to be clear about who he is over and over (it's not impossible). But when many of the direct statements he's made are such shit we're remaining skeptical. And if nothing else, someone running for VP need's to be much better at this.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

As someone who has not followed Whitmer rise in Michigan...holy crap, she is an effective speaker. Also likes to swear, which I actually think plays well with average people!

She is a good speaker, I’ll give her that. She’s also been a thousand times better than the Republican drivel we’ve suffered under for what feels like forever. I don’t really like her, but that’s just due to some clashing opinions on policy. She seemingly hates public transportation (and loves cars), and she also vetoed a bill that would have moved all pharmacy billing for Medicaid to Medicaid itself instead of splitting it between a bunch of private companies and Medicaid. She has strong ties to Blue Cross, though, so it’s not surprising. 

Again, all that aside, she’s an effective speaker and a good politician.

17 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

WWW.NYTIMES.COM

Mr. Cooper, the governor of North Carolina, had been seen as one of the half-dozen top candidates to join the Democratic presidential ticket. It was not immediately clear why he withdrew.

Apparently Whitmer has also (at least publicly) withdrawn. Though I don't think she was a top contender.

22 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

WWW.NYTIMES.COM

The NC Constitution thanks you. 

Well lookee here...

JD Vance’s three-year-old complaint that the country was being run by “childless cat ladies” like Vice President Kamala Harris has prompted bipartisan outrage and made the Ohio senator’s campaign to be vice president look wobbly before it has barely begun. But, if you listen carefully, you’ll see that it is part of a discussion that Vance and some other Republicans appear eager to have.

Vance, 39, has long spoken publicly about his concerns about the falling American birthrate — and it’s not just him. During the Republican National Convention two weeks ago, talk about the importance of having babies was so prominent, I wondered if “Make America Procreate Again” was becoming a party tagline.

There is much to unpack here. Vance’s old comments — and his defense of them — have pushed the thorny and deeply personal politics of reproduction center stage in an election that Democrats were already eager to turn into a referendum on women’s personal freedoms on issues like abortion and birth control. They also coincide with outlandish conspiracy theories about Democrats trying to replace natural-born Americans with immigrants.

As I said this is an ongoing discussion in academia

In recent years, falling birthrates have been a concern of several prominent figures on the right, including Elon Musk (who has many children of his own) and Tucker Carlson.

Those concerns, experts on right-wing politics say, coincide with the spread of the “great replacement theory,” which is the unsubstantiated idea that immigrants are coming to the United States to dilute the power of native-born, white voters.

“What’s sotto voce being said is, ‘not enough white babies’ — that’s really the problem,” said Philip Gorski, a sociologist at Yale who has studied Christian nationalism.

Schilling said his concern with the birthrate has nothing to do with race. In his Friday interview, Vance, who is married to the daughter of Indian immigrants, said he had nothing against immigrants. But my colleague Jazmine Ulloa pointed out that Vance echoed tenets of replacement theory when he said without evidence in his interview with Kelly that Democrats believed they could “replace American children with immigrants.”

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it ain't a goose. I suggest anyone interested RTFA.

• Thanks 1
  • True 1
  • Halal 1