Rock the Vote '24: update (09/10) - It's "Debate Night" - do yourself a favor and play a video game instead

What I keep thinking of is a judo throw where you use your opponents momentum against them. Dems need to do that to the GOP on the age thing. They have spent years building the argument against Biden on age, gotta use that against them now.

This is one of those instances where Super Pacs can be useful. You don't want Kamala herself out there making this argument because she is still Joe's VP.

But Dem Super Pacs should be running ads where they are half rightwing media/politicians talking about how someone so old should never run for president(conveniently editing out that they are referring to Biden) and half showing Trump looking slow, confused, and out of it.

• Sicko 1
  • Halal 2
  • Hype 1

Vance's "I love you guys" at his appearance in Middletown reminded me of when I went to see Video Games Live in Akron.  Tallarico had these bits he'd do where he'd do something goofy and then react to the audience reacting, but the audience didn't react because it was a mix of symphony people and video game people, neither of which found his schtick that entertaining.  But he had this call and response stuff planned out and it didn't matter to him and I felt kind of bad his bits were bombing, until I found out the dude was a bit of a prick, now I don't care.

WWW.AXIOS.COM

Biden vows to end Gaza war, bring hostages home before he finishes office.

Turning dovish just in time to bring portions of the base disaffected by the war back home, and now that he has more time on his hands to actually focus on it, he might in fact be able to do it.  I think Dems more supportive of Israel will appreciate the fact that he's shown more support for it than a lot of other nations in the West up until now, and won't defect even if he can't come to terms with Netanyahu.

Jury will be out on where Harris truly stands in the race for a couple of weeks in terms of polling (after the convention bounce wears off, if there is one) and I'm still not totally sold the odds wouldn't be better if he hadn't stood down, but if Biden can pull this off or at least take credit for trying, we might have both falling interest rates and positive developments in the Gaza conflict by election day, and I think she'll have the odds in her favor.

As always, I'd rather be lucky than good any day of the week.

16 minutes ago, finaljedi said:

Vance's "I love you guys" at his appearance in Middletown reminded me of when I went to see Video Games Live in Akron.  Tallarico had these bits he'd do where he'd do something goofy and then react to the audience reacting, but the audience didn't react because it was a mix of symphony people and video game people, neither of which found his schtick that entertaining.  But he had this call and response stuff planned out and it didn't matter to him and I felt kind of bad his bits were bombing, until I found out the dude was a bit of a prick, now I don't care.

Vance looked like he was screaming in his own head, "DON'T SAY PLEASE CLAP DON'T SAY PLEASE CLAP DON'T SAY PLEASE CLAP...." :lol: 

• Haha 2
  • True 1

Shapiro and Kelly the leading candidates for VP:

While the vetting process is just getting started, a senior administration official told ABC News' Martha Raddatz that Pennsylvania Gov. Josh Shapiro and Arizona Sen. Mark Kelly are the leading candidates to be Harris' running mate.

The two men come from key 2024 battleground states, and have experience trouncing Trump-endorsed candidates.

Shapiro, 51, was Pennsylvania's attorney general before being elected governor in 2022 after defeating Republican Doug Mastriano.

Kelly, a 60-year-old former astronaut and Navy captain who is married to former congresswoman Gabby Giffords, won his Senate seat in 2022. He defeated Republican challenger Blake Masters.

What are people's thoughts on which is better? I think Shapiro is better for delivering PA, but Kelly wouldn't drive away people who are critical of Israel/Gaza. Plus everyone loves Astronauts. 

EDIT - Also fitting as leaks out of the Trump campaign indicate they are most scared of these two.

• True 1

4 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

RH52AVj.png

I guarantee the Trump campaign is considering dropping Vance. The main thing holding them back would be Trump's refusal to admit to a mistake, of course.

Speaking of that..

WWW.CNN.COM

Ohio Sen. JD Vance, the Republican vice-presidential nominee, repeatedly indicated in 2016 that he believed Donald Trump had committed sexual assault, even suggesting in one TV segment that in a “he said, she said” situation Trump was less credible than one of his accusers.

• stepee 1
  • Halal 1

5 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I kinda hope it’s Kelly just because he has a twin brother and the right-wing conspiracy theories will be absolutely amazing 

That and the memes. It’s also the basic premise to some really stupid Tom Clancy wannabe books which I find personally hilarious 

• stepee 1

24 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

What are people's thoughts on which is better? I think Shapiro is better for delivering PA, but Kelly wouldn't drive away people who are critical of Israel/Gaza. Plus everyone loves Astronauts. 

EDIT - Also fitting as leaks out of the Trump campaign indicate they are most scared of these two.

Doesn't hurt that he's got that classic white man manliness vibe about him. Which unfortunately still matters to some. 

• Halal 1

23 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

My thinking is that PA is the swing state most likely to go to Trump even if Kamala has a good year.

Like, Hillary and Joe both won Arizona. Trump won Michigan on a fluke and razor thin margin. Sad reality is that if Kamala loses these two, she probably loses no matter what, anyway.

PA is the swing state where the pick could be the deciding factor and you could see Trump winning even if the electoral map looks more like 2020 than 2016.

On top of that, maybe I am just gun-shy about the issue but Kelly looks older than he is and I don't want to go anywhere near that again. Harris/Shapiro standing next to each other looks Trump look ancient.

10 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Speaking of that..

WWW.CNN.COM

Ohio Sen. JD Vance, the Republican vice-presidential nominee, repeatedly indicated in 2016 that he believed Donald Trump had committed sexual assault, even suggesting in one TV segment that in a “he said, she said” situation Trump was less credible than one of his...

That's gonna be spicy in the debate against Kelly

2 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

My thinking is that PA is the swing state most likely to go to Trump even if Kamala has a good year.

Like, Hillary and Joe both won Arizona. Trump won Michigan on a fluke and razor thin margin. Sad reality is that if Kamala loses these two, she probably loses no matter what, anyway.

PA is the swing state where the pick could be the deciding factor and you could see Trump winning even if the electoral map looks more like 2020 than 2016.

On top of that, maybe I am just gun-shy about the issue but Kelly looks older than he is and I don't want to go anywhere near that again. Harris/Shapiro standing next to each other looks Trump look ancient.

PA will go blue with or without Shapiro on the ticket; since 2016 the GOP has repeatedly lost here, including the state house - which was finally wrestled back after many years of Republican control. Trump is deeply, deeply unpopular anywhere in the state with a worthwhile population. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

RH52AVj.png

I guarantee the Trump campaign is considering dropping Vance. The main thing holding them back would be Trump's refusal to admit to a mistake, of course.

I am laser focused on beating Trump at this point so I not really into the thing where people say, "but it would be funny to see...." because anything good for Trump is pre-emptively not funny or amusing to me.

THAT SAID, even I would get a good chuckle seeing him pick and drop Vance in the span of a few weeks even if it probably would be a good decision for the Trump camp.

It would be the ultimate express speed fuck you to the ass kisser crowd if Trump destroyed Vance's career in a matter of weeks.

Like Pence's moment on Jan. 6th, or Micheal Cohen warning Republican members of Congress to their faces that they would all someday be in his place if they did Trump's bidding. Only for Vance there would be no, "At some point your day will come".....he got picked a week ago! :lol:

• True 1

2 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

I am laser focused on beating Trump at this point so I not really into the thing where people say, "but it would be funny to see...." because anything good for Trump is pre-emptively not funny or amusing to me.

THAT SAID, even I would get a good chuckle seeing him pick and drop Vance in the span of a few weeks even if it probably would be a good decision for the Trump camp.

It would be the ultimate express speed fuck you to the ass kisser crowd if Trump destroyed Vance's career in a matter of weeks.

Like Pence's moment on Jan. 6th, or Micheal Cohen warning Republican members of Congress to their faces that they would all someday be in his place if they did Trump's bidding. Only for Vance there would be no, "At some point your day will come".....he got picked a week ago! :lol:

The Democrats were easily able to spin Biden stepping down as the move of a noble patriot, even after the shit they put him through.  Trump dumping Vance because he's an uncharismatic dipshit will be harder to spin.

• Thanks 1
  • True 1
  • Halal 1

I like the thought of Kelly being the VP but I worry about who would replace him in AZ to keep the seat. Does anybody know if his twin brother wants to get into politics and take Kelly's seat? :D

11 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

"This pragmatism and humility shows a new Trump, a softer Trump. One willing to learn from his mistakes and move forward in unity."

Then out comes Sorkin with another Op-Ed recommending a Trump-Sinema unity ticket.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chairslinger said:

And now that he’s been officially nominated and everything getting him off the ballot is even harder. 

“Oh so democrats can change their ticket but republicans can’t? RIGGED!” I can see it happening already. And it would probably be a Republican controlled state that would refuse to change because they’re already printing ballots or some shit

First, everyone here is selling my guy Cooper short.  He won NC statewide while Trump was winning the state.  Also he is the safest bet in not giving up a govenorship or senate seat.

Also @finaljedi how did you like TT's Intellivision infomercial halfway through Vidogames Live.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

I'm still really surprised Trump picked Vance. 

I mean he has no redeeming qualities and litteraly trashed Trump whenever he had an opportunity to do so in the past. 

I'm not seeing this info you guys are seeing that Trump is worried or "scared" Harris is now his competition though. The last interview I saw with Trump he was just making fun of her like he does anyone else. 

Just now, Chadatog said:

First, everyone here is selling my guy Cooper short.  He won NC statewide while Trump was winning the state.  Also he is the safest bet in not giving up a govenorship or senate seat.

Also @finaljedi how did you like TT's Intellivision infomercial halfway through Vidogames Live.

I went back in like 2017, before the Amico stuff.  But he would do bits on the stage that just played to silence and it never broke his stride, he was in his own world up there.  Going to a video game orchestral concert with the video component is nice, it doesn't need a dude running around living out his fantasies of being a rocker in front of the orchestra though.  I went to one in 2022 called "Heroes" or something and the guy talked at the beginning and then got to work conducting, it was narrated by the Dear Esther guy for the video component, the music choices could have been better but it was a more mature show.

I followed the Amico stuff after the Ars article and saw Tommy being an insufferable dick to people on Atari Age for saying things like "this is kind of like the switch, but not as good" and I felt less bad for him pretending to be a rock and roll man to crickets.

I like Cooper too, but I think Kelly's profile is higher and Hobbs will just be able to slot in another Democrat into his seat.

4 minutes ago, Best said:

I'm still really surprised Trump picked Vance. 

I mean he has no redeeming qualities and litteraly trashed Trump whenever he had an opportunity to do so in the past. 

I'm not seeing this info you guys are seeing that Trump is worried or "scared" Harris is now his competition though. The last interview I saw with Trump he was just making fun of her like he does anyone else. 

Trump loves people who hated him but come around to kiss the ring.  He also doesn't want a running mate with any charisma to overshadow him.

The worried comes from the fact that Trump was whining about spending so much money on going after Biden and the fact that the GOP is just throwing shit at the wall for Harris.  It really seems like they built a strategy to go after Biden's age and didn't have much else.  There have been a few, including Johnson, who claimed that dropping Biden was illegal and they should be forced to keep him.  Talk like that doesn't project a whole lot of confidence in the candidate.

They're also nervous because Vance went being from an asset that helps them drive MAGA turnout to being a liability who's said creepy shit regarding women, a demographic Trump already has trouble with.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, finaljedi said:

Trump loves people who hated him but come around to kiss the ring.  He also doesn't want a running mate with any charisma to overshadow him.

The worried comes from the fact that Trump was whining about spending so much money on going after Biden and the fact that the GOP is just throwing shit at the wall for Harris.  It really seems like they built a strategy to go after Biden's age and didn't have much else.  There have been a few, including Johnson, who claimed that dropping Biden was illegal and they should be forced to keep him.  Talk like that doesn't project a whole lot of confidence in the candidate.

They're also nervous because Vance went being from an asset that helps them drive MAGA turnout to being a liability who's said creepy shit regarding women, a demographic Trump already has trouble with.

Good info here. I hope there is a bebate between Harris and Trump. It would only help Harris imo. 

22 minutes ago, Best said:

I mean that's his default.

• True 1