Rock the Vote '24: update (09/10) - It's "Debate Night" - do yourself a favor and play a video game instead

11 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Not picking on you by any means but this is what I’m talking about when people were seriously advocating for an open or blitz or whatever primary. It would be wildly divisive and be the last thing we needed. Harris being anointed by Joe is the least bad solution for him stepping out of the election. (Which I’m not 100% sold on personally but whatever the die is cast)

I definitely think this is better than an open convention and have given to Kamala through her career before national politics. I 100% support her and actually like her. But I think Americans, Democrats, and Liberals have betrayed Joe Biden. He's given us so many norms we take for granted, kids don't even remember when gay marriage was illegal. Don't ask don't tell, etc. I think it's shameful and I feel deeply sorry for him.

• stepee 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Halal 3

5 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

From what has been leaked today, it appears this is basically what happened:

1. Nancy Pelosi has been speaking privately for weeks, pushing people to slowly leak out reports that Biden should step down. Effectively told the campaign she would give them a few weeks to make the decision, or she would leak internal polling that showed Biden was dead in the water

2. Biden's campaign ran polling in the swing states, some of them the first in 2+ months, and they saw the same thing

3. Pelosi was going to (this week) publicly say Biden had to step down

I dislike Pelosi quite strongly for how she's prevented new generation(s) from rising in the party, but it seems like she was the major push behind this. Not surprising at all that Biden's team hasn't polled some states in months, because we saw the same hubris from Clinton in 2016. I don't get how they can just suck so badly.

Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii don't want to say it. Don't want to. BUT I MADE A THREAD ~3 YEARS AGO IN WHICH I SAID BIDEN SHOULDN'T RUN FOR ANOTHER TERM

AND YOU FUCKERS CLOWNED ON ME

Now, Ironically, I'm in the camp that he shouldn't have dropped out this late in the game.

1 minute ago, SuperSpreader said:

I definitely think this is better than an open convention and have given to Kamala through her career before national politics. I 100% support her and actually like her. But I think Americans, Democrats, and Liberals have betrayed Joe Biden. He's given us so many norms we take for granted, kids don't even remember when gay marriage was illegal. Don't ask don't tell, etc. I think it's shameful and I feel deeply sorry for him.

I think it's horrible (and feel for him) while at the same time feel that it was the correct move. And I hope that as someone who cares about the US, Biden is able to take time and realize that his own ego (and even legacy) matters less than the preservation of freedoms and democracy. However, I actually do think that by withdrawing and endorsing Harris that history will look much, much more kindly on him than if he'd run and lost. If Harris wins, it's quite possible that Biden's decision not to run will be viewed very respectfully. It's not often that people willingly give up power, or the opportunity for more of it.

• Halal 4

3 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Now, Ironically, I'm in the camp that he shouldn't have dropped out this late in the game.

I think (and bear with me, Americans) that this will benefit Harris. America having a 2+ year Presidential race makes it very hard for any candidate to have good standing in the public opinion because of how much time the opposite party has to hammer them. With shorter races like in other western democracies, the public has to basically just focus on the most important issues/things, and are less jaded by dumb little things that are flavour of the week for a year.

I think this will actually benefit Harris.

• True 4
  • Halal 2

I've been in the camp that June-July was too late to change it up and win.  I really hope I'm wrong and I'll cast a vote for Kamala without hesitation.  I also think the constant clusterfuck public pressure the Democrats have been taking part in was poorly advised.

• True 1
  • Halal 2

I'm glad Biden has decided to drop out, and I'm glad that the delegates are quickly coalescing around Harris.  There are many ways she can still fuck all this up, and needs to be strategic about who she picks as a running mate.  Whitmer is not a good choice for sexist reasons.  Pete is not a good choice because of bigoted reasons.  Beshear isn't a good choice because KY is not a swing state.  The best choices that I see (right now) are:

Shapiro (PA)

Kelly (AZ)

Both are relatively popular, and would potentially help deliver those crucial swing states for the Harris ticket in November.  PA is arguably more important because it has more electoral votes, of course.  On the other hand, who would vote against a ticket that has a literal astronaut as the VP?

• Halal 2

Just now, mclumber1 said:

I'm glad Biden has decided to drop out, and I'm glad that the delegates are quickly coalescing around Harris.  There are many ways she can still fuck all this up, and needs to be strategic about who she picks as a running mate.  Whitmer is not a good choice for sexist reasons.  Pete is not a good choice because of bigoted reasons.  Beshear isn't a good choice because KY is not a swing state.  The best choices that I see (right now) are:

Shapiro (PA)

Kelly (AZ)

Both are relatively popular, and would potentially help deliver those crucial swing states for the Harris ticket in November.  PA is arguably more important because it has more electoral votes, of course.  On the other hand, who would vote against a ticket that has a literal astronaut as the VP?

You forgot Roy Cooper.

• Halal 1

29 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

He def deserves better than he got

• Halal 1

What a crazy and frightening time in American politics. I really don't know what to think. I think this should have been done shortly after Biden started his term, but Dems fucked that up, so that's why we're in this situation now. I'm not convinced America will elect a Black woman as president. I think it'll come down to how many people are determined to vote against Trump.

I'm mentally preparing myself for the worst.

And I can't wait til I visit my parents next time and have to hear my dad call her "Camel toe." Fucking hell.

• stepee 1
  • Halal 1
  • Hugs 1

4 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The Dems spent 3.5 years going hard on Trump for trying a little bit of the ol’ coup on January 6th, only to actually do it to Joe :p 

They did it without smearing poo on the walls though.

4 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The Dems spent 3.5 years going hard on Trump for trying a little bit of the ol’ coup on January 6th, only to actually do it to Joe :p 

Joe doing it voluntarily feels a bit different.

It seems Pennsylvania is more likely to stay a blue governorship going forward without Shapiro than Arizona's Senate seat is without Kelly? 

9 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

What a crazy and frightening time in American politics. I really don't know what to think. I think this should have been done shortly after Biden started his term, but Dems fucked that up, so that's why we're in this situation now. I'm not convinced America will elect a Black woman as president. I think it'll come down to how many people are determined to vote against Trump.

I'm mentally preparing myself for the worst.

And I can't wait til I visit my parents next time and have to hear my dad call her "Camel toe." Fucking hell.

I think Riley has a compelling point about the combination of the entire GOP apparatus having spent years gearing up for Sleepy Joe narratives while ignoring Harris, and now having nearly no time to try to spin up their anti-Harris narratives, probably being a net positive. 

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

I think Riley has a compelling point about the combination of the entire GOP apparatus having spent years gearing up for Sleepy Joe narratives while ignoring Harris, and now having nearly no time to try to spin up their anti-Harris narratives, probably being a net positive. 

Surprise Threaten GIF

• Haha 3
  • True 1
  • Hype 1

2 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Surprise Threaten GIF

So far we have going back to birtherism and fucking plastic straws, if they'd been thinking about her at all they wouldn't just be doing reruns and grasping at literal straws. :lol:

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

The organizer call was supposed to have a few hundred women on it, and they quickly had to cancel and recreate it to handle the demand.

6JhW6Eo.png

Please do this in Georgia.

• Hype 1

17 minutes ago, Jason said:

So far we have going back to birtherism and fucking plastic straws, if they'd been thinking about her at all they wouldn't just be doing reruns and grasping at literal straws. :lol:

Along with Edmonton Oilers Stanley Cup champion t-shirts, some 3rd world country is about to get a shitload of Let's go Brandon/Fuck Joe Biden "merch".

• Haha 3