Rock the Vote '24: update (09/10) - It's "Debate Night" - do yourself a favor and play a video game instead

Props to Harris and her team for being disciplined. At the end there Harris was practically the last Democrat in the country not leaking and nudging Biden to drop out. Considering how there's no one who benefits more from him dropping out, it must have a hell of a few weeks for her, too.

3 minutes ago, outsida said:

It feels like the campaign was able to change gear and start going full speed

And that's another thing. Being the loyal solider for Joe while also being ready to go for if the announcement came. Well done for Kamala.

In five or ten years when this is all said and done I would love to hear the story of how that early debate came to be. Just seems so strange that it happened this way unless someone on Biden's team was angling to test the waters on whether Joe could go the distance.....

• stepee 1
  • Halal 1

6 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

In five or ten years when this is all said and done I would love to hear the story of how that early debate came to be. Just seems so strange that it happened this way unless someone on Biden's team was angling to test the waters on whether Joe could go the distance.....

I made a post about it earlier in the thread, but basically I believe the decision just simply wasn't an easy one for Biden. He wanted to believe he could get the job done and that he was up to the task. The debate put into public focus his flaws and limitations, and that alone set things off for this course of action.

20 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

he sure does get a lot of votes for somebody unpopular.

he will always get the Republican vote in November. Even if they do it to vote against the democrat. 

Yes, he gets votes from his cult, but that's it. He will always get those. He wins when Democrats stay home. 

14 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

Yes, he gets votes from his cult, but that's it. He will always get those. He wins when Democrats stay home. 

Trump wins when Democrats stay home. 

I remember an interview in 2016 with a Trump campaign official and their big game plan was voter suppression. Suppression as in convincing democrats not to vote. 

The Dems did the only thing they could to really shake things up, get rid of theJoe’s an old geezer who can’t actually lead” stuff and pick a candidate that theoretically can excite and reinvigorate the base, which is absolutely necessary to get turnout up to the level the average Dem candidate needs to win.

I would still say Trump is slightly favored to win at this point, but this fundamentally alters what the race for POTUS is about. It can now be a referendum on the accomplishments of the Biden/Harris administration, and not a referendum on whether Joe Biden is mentally and physically capable of being POTUS another 4 years.

Would it have been better if this all happened a year ago? Sure, but it didn’t, and this is probably the best way forward.

• Halal 1
  • Hugs 1

6 hours ago, Amazatron said:

You expected him to step down as president effective immediately? The fuq?

Posted that before I saw the Harris endorsement, so I took it as an implicit endorsement of an ‘open convention’.

Backing Harris takes the edge off but, yes—incumbency and the advantages that come with it is the single most powerful tool against Trump we have, and making Harris president is the most direct way to transfer that tool to her.

A quick unification of the party around her might preserve some aspects of it, but basically she will still lack the full capacity to apply the powers of the US state and its political networks to the process of campaigning to win the election—and *that* is the most important aspect of the incumbent advantage.  When you have the reins of the state apparatus in your hands, you are extremely difficult to beat.  Usually it takes some crisis that undermines your authority to make you mortal.  Harris will not really have those reins.

That being said, LFG Harris 2024.

18 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

7EDR0S9.png

PA going to try and do the same within 1-2 days.

State parties heading off a brokered convention is smart.  A hell of a lot smarter than the people entertaining a "blitz primary"

22 minutes ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

Posted that before I saw the Harris endorsement, so I took it as an implicit endorsement of an ‘open convention’.

Backing Harris takes the edge off but, yes—incumbency and the advantages that come with it is the single most powerful tool against Trump we have, and making Harris president is the most direct way to transfer that tool to her.

A quick unification of the party around her might preserve some aspects of it, but basically she will still lack the full capacity to apply the powers of the US state and its political networks to the process of campaigning to win the election—and *that* is the most important aspect of the incumbent advantage.  When you have the reins of the state apparatus in your hands, you are extremely difficult to beat.  Usually it takes some crisis that undermines your authority to make you mortal.  Harris will not really have those reins.

That being said, LFG Harris 2024.

I don't know. With the state of Congress, it's not like she could DO anything, anyway.

I still think Kamala will lose (though we'll see when the campaign actually starts) because people don't like black women or cops and she happens to kind of be both. We'll see how her campaign goes.

There's a narrative that the Republicans are becoming the "working man's party." If the Dems want to win - Somewhere between 2/3 and 75% of Americans want legal marijuana, universal healthcare, access to abortions, and universal background checks for gun purchases. Hit on those points and don't let up because Republicans can't support any of those things.

1 minute ago, Fizzzzle said:

I don't know. With the state of Congress, it's not like she could DO anything, anyway.

I still think Kamala will lose (though we'll see when the campaign actually starts) because people don't like black women or cops and she happens to kind of be both. We'll see how her campaign goes.

There's a narrative that the Republicans are becoming the "working man's party." If the Dems want to win - Somewhere between 2/3 and 75% of Americans want legal marijuana, universal healthcare, access to abortions, and universal background checks for gun purchases. Hit on those points and don't let up because Republicans can't support any of those things.

Biden should do lots of popular official actions (anything's legal now if the president talks about it with their vice president first) and say Kamala told him to each time. 

• Halal 2

14 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

Y'all simpletons. I guess if this is what it takes to get people to care. 🙎

Not picking on you by any means but this is what I’m talking about when people were seriously advocating for an open or blitz or whatever primary. It would be wildly divisive and be the last thing we needed. Harris being anointed by Joe is the least bad solution for him stepping out of the election. (Which I’m not 100% sold on personally but whatever the die is cast)

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, thewhyteboar said:

The vibes have totally shifted and I'm feeling very optimistic. Just look at Trump. He is seething and giving off massive loser energy. All he can do is whine to the refs, but it's not going to make him look tough, it'll just make him continue to look like a loser.

We have to remember, Trump is not popular! His cult loves him, but cults are small. And, just like with any other cult, he is deeply unappealing, weird, and freakish to normal people.

Harris just needs to continue to communicate well, laugh and taunt Trump, be a bit sarcastic, and watch the air leak out of that shit balloon.

GTCsXeGbYAAEnXZ?format=jpg&name=900x900This is exactly the kind of shit that mean when I say his cult is deeply unsettling to normies. Imagine you’re at a cookout and someone comes up to you and starts saying “I don’t trust that Harris, her utterances reek of dark Marxist and Luciferian incantations.” That’s the kinda freaky crap that makes you signal to your wife that it’s time to leave. It’s not converting a single soul. 

• Halal 2

From what has been leaked today, it appears this is basically what happened:

1. Nancy Pelosi has been speaking privately for weeks, pushing people to slowly leak out reports that Biden should step down. Effectively told the campaign she would give them a few weeks to make the decision, or she would leak internal polling that showed Biden was dead in the water

2. Biden's campaign ran polling in the swing states, some of them the first in 2+ months, and they saw the same thing

3. Pelosi was going to (this week) publicly say Biden had to step down

I dislike Pelosi quite strongly for how she's prevented new generation(s) from rising in the party, but it seems like she was the major push behind this. Not surprising at all that Biden's team hasn't polled some states in months, because we saw the same hubris from Clinton in 2016. I don't get how they can just suck so badly.