Rock the Vote '24: update (09/10) - It's "Debate Night" - do yourself a favor and play a video game instead

12 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

It honestly wouldn't surprise me at all if there wasn't at least some consideration being given to an anti-Trump Republican (say, the Lt. Governor of Georgia) being asked to join as VP in a kind of "national unity" ticket.

That would be interesting and getting someone from Georgia is a good play.

I agree with you guys that Kamela should debate Trump. I've seen her in debates before and she is fiery and sharp. I understand she can get a bit wacky at times but I honestly don't recall that side of her while debating. 

• Halal 2

35 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

Pelosi didn’t endorse Harris last I checked either. There may be a split in how to proceed after all. 

29 minutes ago, finaljedi said:

Ah yes, an open chaotic convention with no clear candidate for another month is just what they need to be serious about taking Trump on.  They should have made a deal to shuffle Pelosi out of politics along with Biden.

Pelosi is 3 years older than Joe and hasn't looked sharp in years. If Joe is a problem why the hell is anyone listening to her?

• True 2
  • Halal 1

24 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

What are the chances we get another debate between whoever the Dem candidate is and Donald? 

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Trump was like "I am prepared to debate Sleepy Joe, but will not debate an illegitimate opponent" and skips out on the last 3 debates.

26 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Pelosi is 3 years older than Joe and hasn't looked sharp in years. If Joe is a problem why the hell is anyone listening to her?

Plus her going around calling people sexist for pointing out Feinstein didn't know what year it was. 

• True 1
  • Halal 1

This is the right move. Picking Harris in 2020 was a mistake but she’s a much better candidate than Biden at this moment. I 100% guarantee that Trump and his team of ghouls prefer Biden over anyone. This is not what they wanted. 

Imagine if the Republican Party had the morals and balls to push Trump aside. Too bad it’s a party of sniveling amoral cowards.

I wonder if Trump will debate her. He pretty much has to right? Harris isn’t the best debater in the world but she’s better than the fossilized remains of Joe Biden. I’m pretty sure a random high school senior would be a better debater than 82 year old Biden.

Trump is already trying to weasel out of any debate with Harris. This is her chance to frame their relationship in the campaign. She should outright come out as a bully and say that only a coward would refuse to debate her. Ask him publicly if he's scared of little old her. She needs to take off the gloves. 

• True 2
  • Halal 1
  • Hype 1

6 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Trump is already trying to weasel out of any debate with Harris. This is her chance to frame their relationship in the campaign. She should outright come out as a bully and say that only a coward would refuse to debate her. Ask him publicly if he's scared of little old her. She needs to take off the gloves. 

One thing that Trump has done this year that doesn't get talked about enough is that he has ran a relatively disciplined campaign compared to 2016 and 2020(I suspect it is because he is genuinely spooked that winning or losing probably decides whether he spends the better part of the rest of his life in prison).

But I mostly agree here. Kamala needs to make him either debate her, or absolutely destroy his tough guy persona by refusing to do so. Right now his campaign is begging Trump not to debate her and every fiber of his being is telling him he just needs to get on stage and shut her up. Kamala needs to rattle his cage to make sure he "goes with his gut".

Trump could have rested on his laurels and not debated Joe again and it would probably have been a wash at best. If he refuses to debate Harris she can basically bundle up every weakness he has into one attack on him. Trump can lean into the "illegitimate candidate" thing, but I don't think that gains much traction as long as it's Harris. 

She isn't illegitimate....she has literally been one step away from being the president herself for the past 4 years.

22 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Pete probably isn't even being considered as VP at this point because of the "high risk" situation that the party finds itself in.

Because he's gay? I mainly wouldn't want him to run and lose and have that tainted for next term. 

11 minutes ago, johnny said:

why do so many people in here like mayo pete. he don’t have the sauce to be president. 

The person doing best in the polls against Trump is Generic Democrat....and nobody embodies Generic Democrat like Pete.

• Haha 1

Only joking, but at the convention:

Harris: "I thank you for the nomination. But the last four years have shown that you need a strong Biden on the team. That is why I am announcing that Biden will be my VP!"

And then Hunter Biden walks into the stage.

• Haha 4

While I'm surprised Joe stepped aside, I'm all in on whatever chaos this brings. I do think that this helps the Dems because the Republican machine was built to go against Biden, not Harris, and she will be a much harder target to hit (beyond the racism and sexism, which won't look good nationally). I'm all in, let's go.

15 minutes ago, johnny said:

why do so many people in here like mayo pete. he don’t have the sauce to be president. 

Honestly put him in a debate with any republican probably for the next generation and he destroys them, hes is really good at confronting them.  Getting people pumped at a rally, ehhhh not so much, lol.

10 minutes ago, CheeTo said:

Because he's gay? I mainly wouldn't want him to run and lose and have that tainted for next term. 

Unfortunately, that's correct - the combination of a POC woman at the top of the ticket and a gay man as VP might simply be "too much" risk.

It freakin' sucks, but that's the reality of the hand we've been dealt in 2024.

• Sad 1
  • True 1
  • Halal 1

So all of Biden's campaign staff are sticking around and now have jobs under Harris, thats pretty smooth.

On an all-staff call earlier, Jen O'Malley Dillon told the Biden campaign: "While today is a big day of transition, nothing changes with why you got here and what we're all here to do. But the path forward is a path that is for all of us to do this together. So let me tell you what I know to be certain: which is that every single person here – whatever your job, whatever you're doing – you have a job."

• Halal 2

5 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

While I'm surprised Joe stepped aside, I'm all in on whatever chaos this brings. I do think that this helps the Dems because the Republican machine was built to go against Biden, not Harris, and she will be a much harder target to hit (beyond the racism and sexism, which won't look good nationally). I'm all in, let's go.

What I worry about is this....

"So we desperately needed to win back working class Rust Belt states so we dropped blue collar Scranton Joe who was the most outspoken president for unions ever and replaced him with a black woman from California!"

That reads as facially devastating to me, but I understand there are extenuating circumstances.

I worry that I am right and we just lost those swing votes in those swing states that won't decide who to vote for until a week or two before the election. But I said it before and I'll say it again. I have no ego in this as far as who to support. Anybody but Trump, Blue no matter who.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

What are the chances we get another debate between whoever the Dem candidate is and Donald? 

Zero. And so far, I've been right about everything, including Joe not dropping out. :beatup: