Rock the Vote '24: update (09/10) - It's "Debate Night" - do yourself a favor and play a video game instead

WWW.CNN.COM

No one quite knows what the process of picking a new nominee would be if Joe Biden did step aside – but many Democrats say that any process is likelier than ever to quickly end with Vice President Kamala Harris as the nominee.

“F**k it, I’m coconut pilled. I just want this to stop,” said one well-known Democratic operative

Kamala Harris Door GIF by GIPHY News

• stepee 1

Seems like support is coalescing around Harris as the alternative.

APNEWS.COM

As President Joe Biden faces a growing drumbeat of pressure to drop his reelection bid, most Democrats think his vice president would make a good president herself.

Polling in swing states released today also show her outperforming Biden.

• Hype 1

The real question is if Biden will actually willingly step down. What if he doesn't? Does the DNC try to replace him via convention vote? I think in order for Harris to win, the party needs Biden to suck it up and endorse her. Then you need the full press of Obama and everyone else (Bernie, AOC, Shapiro, etc) campaigning for her.

2 hours ago, PaladinSolo said:
WWW.CNN.COM

No one quite knows what the process of picking a new nominee would be if Joe Biden did step aside – but many Democrats say that any process is likelier than ever to quickly end with Vice President Kamala Harris as the nominee.

“F**k it, I’m coconut pilled. I just want this to stop,” said one well-known Democratic operative

Kamala Harris Door GIF by GIPHY News

From the article, directly contradicting the headline:

Multiple Democratic members of Congress who have called for Biden to go declined on Friday when asked by CNN if they were ready to say they want Harris to be the nominee.

I’m inclined to not trust any article based on anonymous sources right now, and that’s literally 99.8% of these ‘Biden close to stepping down, people support X’ pieces.

BTW, the NYT has published over 200 articles on this controversy and over 50 editorials with almost uniform positions.  All while the orange fascist nominates a supporter of a national abortion ban and makes hour-long speeches more incoherent than anything Biden said at the debate.  SMH.

• True 2

Eveyone knows Trump and what he is, they also know the GOP isn't going to back down from him at all as he has BECOME the GOP, Biden on the other hand is possible to get out of the way, and hes a really bad candidate at this point, thats really all i see it as.

If they don't back Harris and go for a brokered convention, when Trump wins they all need to be tossed the fuck out.  Trump isn't as hated as he was 4 years ago, "a Democrat" being able to beat him isn't some foregone conclusion and fucking around only weakens them.  Plus as soon as you fill "a Democrat" with a Democrat it goes back to being a coin toss.  They have all kept the news story in the press for an entire month to try and force Biden out.  All of them have spent 4 years working with Biden, they've known if he'd slipped enough to be a liability before the debate, not doing this years ago and trying to fuck about a few months before election day is ridiculous.

I do feel like the “replace Biden” camp are seriously underselling the ballot access issues for any replacement. It’s inviting disaster in the form of lawsuits from bad faith actors in a captured judiciary. 

Hell there was already issue in Ohio about ballot access and we’d have to literally relitigated that whole ordeal

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

I’m actually now sitting here in a cafe in Paris and there is a group of national rally members clapping and high-fiving as they replay a clip of biden’s interview on msnbc, they are chanting “Biden! Biden!” with tears in their eyes 

• Shocked 2

3 hours ago, PaladinSolo said:

Harris is doing a fundraiser with Butti today, or does that not count as middle American white guy?  He also hit Vance pretty good on Maher last night, Lol. 

46 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

In that case, let’s go with Mayor Pete:

WWW.THREADS.NET

Pete just made quick, quick work of JD Vance. Savage.

Especially after this.

I'm good with Mayo Pete especially since a good friend of mine worked on his campaign and said he's a genuinely great guy. What does Pete bring to the table though? He doesn't deliver his state which is solidly red. What does he ADD to the ticket? Genuinely asking. I personally like him but the VP should bring something to the table that the top of the ticket lacks.

12 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I do feel like the “replace Biden” camp are seriously underselling the ballot access issues for any replacement. It’s inviting disaster in the form of lawsuits from bad faith actors in a captured judiciary. 

Hell there was already issue in Ohio about ballot access and we’d have to literally relitigated that whole ordeal

How would it be any different than a convention where no candidate has enough delegates? 

37 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'm good with Mayo Pete especially since a good friend of mine worked on his campaign and said he's a genuinely great guy. What does Pete bring to the table though? He doesn't deliver his state which is solidly red. What does he ADD to the ticket? Genuinely asking. I personally like him but the VP should bring something to the table that the top of the ticket lacks.

He's a white man that may help balance out the sexism and racism some would have for Harris. He may help in the midwest and doesn't require Democrats to lose a Senate seat like some other choices. Pete did poorly with certain demographics in the last primary, but Harris has that taken care of. He's an effective communicator and good at debates. 

I think there are probably better choices, but he's not a bad one.

• Halal 1

54 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Sticking with Biden seems safer to me because of so many uncertainties with the replace him push. However, Biden seems sure to lose if Democrats aren't going to give him money and keep attacking him publicly. If he stays around, Democrats need to stop.

• Halal 1

4 hours ago, Massdriver said:

Sticking with Biden seems safer to me because of so many uncertainties with the replace him push. However, Biden seems sure to lose if Democrats aren't going to give him money and keep attacking him publicly. If he stays around, Democrats need to stop.

Attacking him publicly feels like amateur hour.  They seem to have a meeting with him and then everyone from that meeting immediately texts their favorite reporter a quote on background about how he has to leave.  Then you have the other ones who get permission to come against him like my Senator and my Congressman.

It's also 100% up to Biden, because unseating him as the candidate at the convention is a surefire way to lose and I don't think publicly telling him he's too old and senile to be President anymore is a winning strategy to a stubborn proud old man.  I wonder if these were the same people who told Ginsburg to retire because she was so old a decade or so ago.

It's especially goofy if AOC is right and they're trying to sidestep Harris.  I guarantee there's someone from the Times with an op-ed already saved to a word doc about how replacing the incumbent woman of color isn't great.

• Halal 3

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

If Biden stays I think he is guaranteed to lose. I mean...all these public figures have already said he should step down. What are they going to say if he doesn't? That they now have confidence in him? How does the party come back from that?

“lol nm keep on trucking stay cool see you next summer” - nancy pelosi

31 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

There is no mechanism, sort of the convention happening, to make it stop. Even then it might not stop. 

2 hours ago, finaljedi said:

Attacking him publicly feels like amateur hour.  They seem to have a meeting with him and then everyone from that meeting immediately texts their favorite reporter a quote on background about how he has to leave.  Then you have the other ones who get permission to come against him like my Senator and my Congressman.

It's also 100% up to Biden, because unseating him as the candidate at the convention is a surefire way to lose and I don't think publicly telling him he's too old and senile to be President anymore isn't a winning strategy to a stubborn proud old man.  I wonder if these were the same people who told Ginsburg to retire because she was so old a decade or so ago.

It's especially goofy if AOC is right and they're trying to sidestep Harris.  I guarantee there's someone from the Times with an op-ed already saved to a word doc about how replacing the incumbent woman of color isn't great.

My thing is, if they were going to ask him to step down, they had a WHOLE primary season to do so. Would have made a lot more sense to do it then than to do it this way now. I worked on this story last night and he still has his allies in Senate Leadership and Jeffries was quoted yesterday as saying he's still ridin' with Biden. Pelosi and Shumer seem to be the main ones tell him to step down. And if they bypass Harris then they run the risk of alienating their most reliable and consistent constituency, Black Women who would rightfully perceive it as a slight. My suspicion is that if Biden steps down, he does so under the condition that Harris is the nominee and we roll with her. Either way, The Dems, once again, seem determined to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory and for the first time in my adult life, I'm REALLY lamenting the fact that there isn't a viable third party option. For real. Complete and total amateur hour here.

6 hours ago, Jwheel86 said:

How would it be any different than a convention where no candidate has enough delegates? 

Biden's ballot access had been uncertain in Ohio because of a conflict over the president's official party nomination and state election certification deadlines. The DNC's move to hold virtual nominations bypasses the ballot access concerns in the state.

Ohio law mandates that political parties confirm their presidential candidates 90 days before the general election -- on Aug. 7. While Biden wouldn't have been the official nominee until the DNC convenes on Aug. 19, after the deadline -- however the virtual nomination helps ensure that Biden is nominated before the Aug. 7 deadline.

The DNC is holding a virtual convention to nominate Biden, a process which has been in the works since before the debate. The date is set for between aug 1 and aug 7, tbd

the law that Ohio passed doesn’t take effect until sept 1, which changes the date for accepting his nomination to sept 1. So because of this Biden will likely already be the nominee

republicans will say too late gotta keep Biden on there, for Ohio and possibly other states if he is virtually nominated the first week of August. 

there will be lawsuits and I can all but guarantee the 5th will keep him on the ballot, leading to circuit split and then to scotus to rule on the matter. This is an unacceptable risk

WWW.RAWSTORY.COM

Former President Donald Trump's political hopes may be in danger in a solidly Republican state with a significant haul of Electoral College votes if current polling trends stay consistent.Newsweek recently reported that in Florida, the election may start to shift in President Joe Biden's favor, who ...

• Thanks 1
  • Hugs 1

15 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:
WWW.RAWSTORY.COM

Former President Donald Trump's political hopes may be in danger in a solidly Republican state with a significant haul of Electoral College votes if current polling trends stay consistent.Newsweek recently reported that in Florida, the election may start to shift in President Joe Biden's favor, who ...

lol

If Biden wins Florida I'm going to buy a lotto ticket for the first time in my life.

• stepee 1

7 hours ago, Massdriver said:

Replace that last sentence with ‘Democrats need to grow a spine’ and you have the issue plainly.

Even if you aren’t suspicious of the polls, Biden’s barely trailing, and he has a great record—just get behind him.  Sanders is ironically the one who is making the pitch the centrist leadership should be making: Yeah he isn’t the greatest orator or the prettiest on tv, but this is a contest to elect a president, not win a Hollywood accolade, and he’s been a good president.  Build a campaign around that.

Besides, what’s the message going to be with the replacement now?  “Biden was a great president, but he wasn’t very telegenic so they nominated me instead—vote for me to stop Trump!”  It’s kind of bizarre that I keep hearing pundits citing the idea “people need something to vote *for*, not just something to vote *against*” as a rationale for dumping Biden.  Once you get rid of him, that’s pretty much all you’re left with.

• Halal 4

17 minutes ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

It’s kind of bizarre that I keep hearing pundits citing the idea “people need something to vote *for*, not just something to vote *against*” as a rationale for dumping Biden

Especially when what you're voting FOR is Democracy itself. I used to watch CNN and other news channels religously. Now that I work for one, I'm good. I get my news pretty much from my work e-mails and that's good enough. I don't need all of the talking head punditry anymore.

• Halal 1