Rock the Vote '24: update (09/10) - It's "Debate Night" - do yourself a favor and play a video game instead

2 hours ago, Chris- said:

This line of thinking completely ignores that we live in a post-Dobbs political climate. It ain't 2016 or even 2020, and the window doesn't need to shift within 4 months - it's already been shifting for two years.

It doesn't ignore it, I just think racism and misogyny don't overcome even in a post-Dobbs political climate. I think this is a very generous reading of the current electorate. Remember, we have to win the electoral college, not the popular vote, and to do so means winning swing states that don't want a minority female president amongst those swing voters in those swing states, aka the only people that matter. 

2 hours ago, Jwheel86 said:

Even the base. The base right now is depressed about everything and resigned itself to a 2nd Trump Administration, and as a result might not turn out. But if you give the base someone who they think has a fighting chance, that might be the shot in the arm the base needs to turn out. 

If this is true then the base is even dumber than I thought. A "fighting chance" is given to the candidate whose base shows up, therefore the base choosing to be depressed is what causes the lack of a fighting chance, and so on and so forth. Anything is better than Trump, that's all the reason we need to create a fighting chance, handing Trump a second election because "Biden doesn't have a fighting chance" is only because they aren't trying. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy they're creating. Vote and we win, it's simple, who cares who the Democratic nominee is. We create the fighting chance. 

1 hour ago, PaladinSolo said:

There has been exactly 1 woman nominated by one of the major parties to run for president, and she got a plurality of votes.  She did not lose because she was a woman, nevermind that the gender gap between parties has only grown since.

And why has there only been one woman ever nominated? Misogyny. Because many in this country don't want a female leader. That's slowly changing but a Harris ticket is still an enormous gamble. Getting a plurality of the votes is pointless if you can't win the swing states, which is all that matters, and Harris ain't winning the swing votes in the swing states. We don't need to guarantee winning states we're already guaranteed to win, which is @Spork3245's point as well. We're not fighting for California here, we're fighting for Pennsylvania and Nevada and Michigan and Wisconsin, etc.

1 hour ago, Chris- said:

Misogyny is evergreen for women in public spaces - of course it's a factor. But if it can be overcome - which it clearly can be - then there is no reason to make it a determining factor.

It's a determining factor for swing voters in swing states. Sure, there are other factors, and they won't like Harris on those other factors either. She's a person of color. She's looked at as a "cop". She's looked at as a "politician". She's considered too much of a boring straight arrow, uptight nagging woman (this is not my characterization, but how some of the public views here). Biden's age is a problem but these create considerably more in an election that is at the end, not the beginning of this process.

I think even if Kamala was at the top of the ticket and lost, I still wouldn't buy the idea that she never had a chance to begin with.

We've had a black president who won the rust belt, and he also did it with landslide margins. We've had a woman come within a hair of winning in 2016. We had a woman part of a winning ticket in 2020. I just don't buy any of the talk that Kamala would get killed electorally, and I'd add: don't bother saying, "Previous elections were different because of this that and the other thing," because that also means we can't predict a Kamala loss, either. Things are different this year, too, and the only thing I know is Biden is underwater in swing states.

I also don't think Biden being underwater now, also means he'll be underwater in November. Trump's post-convention bump, whatever it is, isn't permanent, and the Democratic convention is next month. We're living in weird times politically, and I don't think anybody can have any confidence that Kamala or Biden would definitely win or definitely lose this year.

If anything, I've actually felt weirdly more optimistic recently because Democrats are getting engaged trying to figure out who should be top of the ticket and that's actually taken focus off of Trump. We found a weird way to stop the nonstop Trump coverage.

• stepee 2
  • True 1
  • Halal 2

Just now, SaysWho? said:

If anything, I've actually felt weirdly more optimistic recently because Democrats are getting engaged trying to figure out who should be top of the ticket and that's actually taken focus off of Trump. We found a weird way to stop the nonstop Trump coverage.

The main problem with that is that it's also brought the Project 2025 awareness momentum to a screeching halt.

• Halal 1

7 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I still wouldn't buy the idea that she never had a chance to begin with.

It’s not so much that she doesn’t have a chance, but more so, for me at least, that she doesn’t have the highest chance and is in the “lower chance” group for me. My feelings have a lot more to do with her performance in the 2020 primaries and her general likability/charisma vs concerns over misogyny or racism. Again, I want to and have no problem being wrong. :p 

10 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The main problem with that is that it's also brought the Project 2025 awareness momentum to a screeching halt.

Ironically going strong on TikTok. 

19 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I think even if Kamala was at the top of the ticket and lost, I still wouldn't buy the idea that she never had a chance to begin with.

We have less than four months now. We gotta go with more likely vs. less likely at this point. No one can say someone has no chance vs. a chance, of course Kamala Harris has a chance, but she's seen as very unlikable and not charismatic. For voters who vote based on "vibes" and "the price of gas" or whatever, I think we're hurting our chances more than sticking with the age of Joe Biden. There's no guarantees either way of course.

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I didn’t say it couldn’t be overcome nor did I say it was the main or only reason. To pretend it didn’t factor in at all is a new one for me.

I didn't say you said that :p I simply responded to your comment.

20 minutes ago, legend said:

I didn't say you said that :p I simply responded to your comment.

I actually quoted you by mistake and didn’t realize it until you responded just now and I went back to look :p 

I was confused by this reply until I looked at my post and saw I quoted you in it :lol:

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

If this is true then the base is even dumber than I thought. A "fighting chance" is given to the candidate whose base shows up, therefore the base choosing to be depressed is what causes the lack of a fighting chance, and so on and so forth. Anything is better than Trump, that's all the reason we need to create a fighting chance, handing Trump a second election because "Biden doesn't have a fighting chance" is only because they aren't trying. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy they're creating. Vote and we win, it's simple, who cares who the Democratic nominee is. We create the fighting chance. 

In short: The base won't turn out because they're worried the base won't turn out

• Halal 2
  • Hugs 1

When it comes to Biden stepping down, I'll believe it when I see it. When these outlets report others saying they think he'll step down soon, all of those people are projecting what they hope Biden will do. None of his Democrat critics actually know what he's thinking.

People do not like voting for losers, which has the impact of causing even worse losses and throwing by away potential wins when the odds are even slightly against one side. People are weird.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

I keep my house at 75 during the day and 70 at night. I'd prefer it be cooler but I'm gonna have a $400+ electric bill this month because it turns out its hotter than shit in AZ half the year. 

• Sad 1

Public policy polled MI and PA. With some alternates. 

PA: 

Trump 49 Biden 44 (R+5)

Trump 45 Harris 43 (R+2)

Harris/Shapiro 46 vs Trump/Vance 46 (tied) 

Shapiro 47 Trump 43 (D+4)

Michigan:

Trump 45 Biden 44 (R+1)

Trump 46 Harris 41 (R+5)

Harris/Whitmer 46 Trump/Vance 46 (Tied)

Whitmer 46 / Trump 45 (D +1)

1 minute ago, SuperSpreader said:

I'm dumbbell pressing 110lb dumbbells on the regular now in prep for the fields

You'll need to be able to lift like 5x that to get their dead bodies off from in top of you. 

Most of these war larping guys won't last a week without their type 2 diabetes medication. 

• True 1

10 minutes ago, Ominous said:

You'll need to be able to lift like 5x that to get their dead bodies off from in top of you. 

Most of these war larping guys won't last a week without their type 2 diabetes medication. 

The dudes who are gonna enforce this though are like me just better conditioned.

52 minutes ago, Ominous said:

I didn't mean killing fields I mean the cotton ones

• Wrong 1

AOC on live now

WWW.INSTAGRAM.COM

Welcome back to Instagram. Sign in to check out what your friends, family & interests have been capturing & sharing around the world.

She saying the elites, donors, and leadership that are trying to push Joe out also want Harris out. There is no consensus that Harris would be next in line.

Confirms there's $100M war chest that's specifically for the ticket and can't be used for any other candidate.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ricofoley said:

If they're still trying to push out Biden AND Kamala then it's not a serious plan. Team Ridin' with Biden. Give him a coffee mug full of 5 Hour Energy every day.

I think they just need to have him snort WokeAF 4-5x/day

Bucked-Up-Woke-Af-Pre-Workout-Powder-Inc

7 hours ago, 69los said:

AOC on live now

WWW.INSTAGRAM.COM

Welcome back to Instagram. Sign in to check out what your friends, family & interests have been capturing & sharing around the world.

She saying the elites, donors, and leadership that are trying to push Joe out also want Harris out. There is no consensus that Harris would be next in line.

Confirms there's $100M war chest that's specifically for the ticket and can't be used for any other candidate.

I'm sure democrat voters would LOVE to go out and support a presidential candidate they had zero choice in selecting and was thrust on them by party elites

• Halal 1

Just now, elbobo said:

I'm sure democrat voters would LOVE to go out and support a presidential candidate they had zero choice in selecting and was thrust on them by party elites

They are your betters how dare you

(it also undercuts the entire “save democracy” message but they don’t care about that)

• Halal 1

7 hours ago, Ricofoley said:

If they're still trying to push out Biden AND Kamala then it's not a serious plan. Team Ridin' with Biden. Give him a coffee mug full of 5 Hour Energy every day.

yep. The time to replace Biden was 2-3 years ago. They didn't do that because they're idiots. Biden is who we have, ride or die.

• Halal 1