Rock the Vote '24: update (09/10) - It's "Debate Night" - do yourself a favor and play a video game instead

3 hours ago, Best said:

I have to have an account to read the article. 

But just based off the title, yes, Biden isn't going to be replaced so everyone must rally around him and support his every step. 

I'm seeing and reading a ton lately since being more active here and I now see how bad Trump really is. He must be stopped. I genuinely mean that. 

I think Biden will step down before the election personally. I don't think we have to rally around him at all, I think the opposite would potentially be more effective. 

Just now, Paperclyp said:

I think Biden will step down before the election personally. I don't think we have to rally around him at all, I think the opposite would potentially be more effective. 

Hmm. I'm hearing and reading differently. So you think if Kamala runs she'd have a better shot than Biden?

2 minutes ago, Best said:

Hmm. I'm hearing and reading differently. So you think if Kamala runs she'd have a better shot than Biden?

The data I have seen suggests Kamala has a better chance, same with California boy. It’s too bad those would be the options pry but whatever. I would just like someone who is cognitively intact.

1 minute ago, Paperclyp said:

The data I have seen suggests Kamala has a better chance, same with California boy. It’s too bad those would be the options pry but whatever. I would just like someone who is cognitively intact.

Oh I agree. I just haven't seen a poll or data suggesting Kamala would win against Trump. 

@Best

Biden is saying he’s not dropping out but even if he is dropping out he can’t say he’s dropping out until he actually does or it tanks him. A lot of Democratic leadership wants him to step down, more than I was even expecting as a pretty big cynic of the Democratic Party (meaning I thought they’d be too chicken shit to say say). I think it’s a distinct possibility, but I do think the clock is running out. 

• Halal 1

4 minutes ago, Best said:

Oh I agree. I just haven't seen a poll or data suggesting Kamala would win against Trump. 

I’ll try to find the source but I think last week some polling suggested Harris and Newsom were like 3-4 points better than Biden head to head. 

edit: 

WWW.NEWSWEEK.COM

A new poll suggests Kamala Harris, if leading the Democratic presidential ticket, could beat Donald Trump in the popular vote.

Not sure this is the same data I saw but that stuff is out there. 

NBC News national poll

🟥 Trump 45% 

🟦 Biden 43%

🟥 Trump 47%

🟦 Harris 45%

The Harris polls are so weird, Biden isn't an option so more people pick a candidate and evenly between them? It's like this with all of them. 

22 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

NBC News national poll

🟥 Trump 45% 

🟦 Biden 43%

🟥 Trump 47%

🟦 Harris 45%

The Harris polls are so weird, Biden isn't an option so more people pick a candidate and evenly between them? It's like this with all of them. 

Same 2 point difference. Honestly I don't trust polling at all. If it wasn't close they'd be irrelevant. Pick 70 ppl from Trump county and 30 from a city and get the results you want. There's my conspiracy theory.

But maybe that's right, 50% won't vote for a black woman and 50% won't vote for an old white man. lel

40 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Thought I would post this here... I'm not necessarily a DL Hugley fan but his feelings mirror my own here regarding the Democratic Party and Biden. I was literally just saying as much to a good friend of mine last night.

GCI

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Thought I would post this here... I'm not necessarily a DL Hugley fan but his feelings mirror my own here regarding the Democratic Party and Biden. I was literally just saying as much to a good friend of mine last night.

I know everything seems terrible now, but can you imagine the amount of smug karma points Biden gets if he stays in and wins in November.....

5fd7c083e00bce00188bb457?width=800&forma

• True 3

13 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

You missed it in the other thread but we can all guillotine it again!

Also, does the article load for you. I can’t bring it up here but could be a regional thing. I really did want to see wtf he was going with that headline.

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

You missed it in the other thread but we can all guillotine it again!

Also, does the article load for you. I can’t bring it up here but could be a regional thing. I really did want to see wtf he was going with that headline.

It does. 

Shots were fired at a Trump campaign rally in Butler, Pennsylvania. The former president narrowly escaped. He emerged bloody, but fortunately not critically injured. “President Trump thanks law enforcement and first responders for their quick action during this heinous act,” spokesman Steven Cheung said in a statement. “He is fine and is being checked out at a local medical facility.” Tragically, one attendee is dead and at this time another is in serious condition. The suspected shooter also is dead.

Will Trump seize the apparent assassination attempt against him as an opportunity to meaningfully address the epidemic of gun violence in America? Will he deem unacceptable the dangers to which citizens are exposed as they go to schools, places of religious worship, concerts, movie theaters, supermarkets, shopping malls, sporting events, and now, presidential campaign rallies? It’s possible, but unlikely.

Butler is less than an hour north of Pittsburgh. It isn’t an urban center. But many big cities in which large numbers of Black Americans reside have long been plagued with inexcusably high levels of gun violence. Everytown Research and Policy’s analysis of 2018-2022 FBI data shows that Black people in Pittsburgh are 14 times more likely to die by gun homicide than are whites in the place affectionately known as “the Steel City.”

On the other side of the commonwealth, Philadelphia’s gun homicide rate was 30.8 fatalities per 100,000 residents in 2022. Blacks comprise the city’s single-largest racial group. They’re five times more likely to die by gunfire than are whites. Milwaukee, where this year’s Republican National Convention is being held, has the sixth-highest homicide by firearm rate in the nation. There, Blacks are 6.7 times more likely to be shot and killed than are white residents.

The presumptive Republican presidential nominee has repeatedly contended that the August 2023 release of his criminal mugshot deeply resonated with Black voters because they know firsthand the unfairness of our nation’s criminal justice system. He has since relied on that narrative to persuade more Black Americans to cast votes for him this November. More Black men now than four years ago say they’re voting for Trump this time, but not many of them say they’re planning to do so because of any notion of shared kinship with judicial injustice.

Hopefully, being shot doesn’t become a similarly problematic strategy to link Trump with an experience that far too many (not all) Black people have. Instead, using his powerful platform to advocate fixing this through public policy and significant financial investments into urban Black communities is the opportunity that awaits Trump once he recovers from the tragedy that occurred at his rally. Another racially problematic kinship narrative is unlikely to make Black voters see Trump as one of them. And it most certainly won’t fix the gun violence crisis in rural, suburban, and urban places in which too many Americans are unnecessarily placed at risk of being shot.

Immediately after shots were fired, Trump fell and then secret service agents rushed to his side. He was down just over one minute. As the agents lifted him and he stood again, Trump looked into the crowd and raised his fist.

After winning gold and bronze medals for their spectacular performances in the men’s 200-meter race at the 1968 Olympics in Mexico City, American track athletes Tommie Smith and John Carlos raised gloved fists as they stood on the podium. The two Black men were protesting racial injustice in their home country as “The Star-Spangled Banner” began to play. The photograph of what has since become known as the “Black Power Salute” remains one of the most iconic images in global sports history. Hopefully Trump doesn’t claim that his raised fist was an homage to Smith and Carlos, two powerful Black Americans.

In June 2020, many Black Americans and supporters from other racial groups marched in cities all across the nation with their fists raised. They were protesting Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin’s murder of George Floyd, an unarmed Black man. Many outraged citizens peacefully marched outside the White House. Then-President Trump weaponized the National Guard and law enforcement against them. But now, just over four years later, there’s a chance that his raised fist at the Pennsylvania rally becomes erroneously connected to the Black people who were marching with fists raised in rallies in summer 2020 and at other moments in American history. Let’s hope not.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The article's headline is deliberate bait because its actual substance is quite different.

Yupppp. This sounds more like an editor who forced that headline probably.

In the MSM, column writers have no influence on the headline on the pieces they write, and typically don't know what it will be before it is posted/printed. [Source, prominent columnists in Canada have explained this on social media multiple times.]

:shrug:

The content of that piece was exactly what I expected given the headline, and the byline of the author (corporate DEI consultant).

• Thanks 1

Just now, AbsolutSurgen said:

In the MSM, column writers have no influence on the headline on the pieces they write, and typically don't know what it will be before it is posted/printed. [Source, prominent columnists in Canada have explained this on social media multiple times.]

:shrug:

The content of that piece was exactly what I expected given the headline, and the byline of the author (corporate DEI consultant).

Yeah once I could read it I knew it is not the authors fault but man that headline is trash. Since I couldn’t read it I couldn’t tell if the content matched or not.

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

Yeah once I could read it I knew it is not the authors fault but man that headline is trash. Since I couldn’t read it I couldn’t tell if the content matched or not.

Hopefully, being shot doesn’t become a similarly problematic strategy to link Trump with an experience that far too many (not all) Black people have. Instead, using his powerful platform to advocate fixing this through public policy and significant financial investments into urban Black communities is the opportunity that awaits Trump once he recovers from the tragedy that occurred at his rally. Another racially problematic kinship narrative is unlikely to make Black voters see Trump as one of them. And it most certainly won’t fix the gun violence crisis in rural, suburban, and urban places in which too many Americans are unnecessarily placed at risk of being shot.

Immediately after shots were fired, Trump fell and then secret service agents rushed to his side. He was down just over one minute. As the agents lifted him and he stood again, Trump looked into the crowd and raised his fist.

But now, just over four years later, there’s a chance that his raised fist at the Pennsylvania rally becomes erroneously connected to the Black people who were marching with fists raised in rallies in summer 2020 and at other moments in American history. Let’s hope not.

How does this paragraph not match the headline?

• Halal 1

6 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

How does this paragraph not match the headline?

Sure, if the editor took one paragraph out of context and read it then made the headline I could see how that happened! 

7 minutes ago, CastletonSnob said:

Call me a doomer, but I don't see how Biden wins at this point.

I am starting to agree with this notion. What I'm seeing all over the news etc is basically all in favor for Trump. 

7 minutes ago, CastletonSnob said:

Call me a doomer, but I don't see how Biden wins at this point.

And there's no one to blame but himself.  He should have announced he would be a one term president as soon as he took the oath in 2021.