Rock the Vote '24: update (09/10) - It's "Debate Night" - do yourself a favor and play a video game instead

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

Screenshot_20240706_153552_Twitter.jpg

Them whining about DEI was always just a dusted off affirmative action argument from decades ago, unfairly giving a person of color a job based on race and not ability.  But shit like this and them calling the Mayor of Baltimore DEI hires I feel loses the thread a bit.  The people of Baltimore elected that guy and if Joe steps down and Kamala steps up and becomes President then the people of America would have voted for that too.

• Halal 2

7 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

At this point, I just want Democrats to commit to either sticking with Biden or going with Kamala. All focus needs to stop being on that and start being in Project 2025 and the accomplishments of the last 4 years.

They've been committed to this since he was elected; people were calling for him to be a one term President years ago. He laughed off the question then, he's essentially doing the same now. It wouldn't matter if Biden came down form Mount Sinai carrying stone tablets saying "I AM HIM" because as soon as someone sees him lick an ice cream cone too hard and the scoops fall onto the ground, people would ask him if he's still running.

2 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

They've been committed to this since he was elected; people were calling for him to be a one term President years ago. He laughed off the question then, he's essentially doing the same now. It wouldn't matter if Biden came down form Mount Sinai carrying stone tablets saying "I AM HIM" because as soon as someone sees him lick an ice cream cone too hard and the scoops fall onto the ground, people would ask him if he's still running.

The fact that sitting members of Congress are asking him to resign means they haven't decided yet. I just want the debate to end so we can get past this because right now, it's always in the headlines due to Democratic debate on the issue.

1 minute ago, SaysWho? said:

The fact that sitting members of Congress are asking him to resign means they haven't decided yet. I just want the debate to end so we can get past this because right now, it's always in the headlines due to Democratic debate on the issue.

Right but it won't end, because it can't. There will always be something, even if it's in the past now, that will make people think he should step down. Assuming the Biden / Harris ticket WINS we'll get think pieces about how he should step down immediately; I'm sure the NYT, WaPo, etc., have drafts ready to go.

And this isn't directed at anyone here, but the media and individual members of Congress seeming to think that their and the public's reaction to a bad debate is going to move the needle for Biden is fucking batshit insane to me. Are they forgetting who they're dealing with? For how long he's wanted this job? The shit he must have heard about and gone through by proxy as VP to Obama, of all people? 

Obama_and_Biden_await_updates_on_bin_Lad

This guy, addled though he may be, is going to step down absent literally everyone in his professional and personal orbit telling him he should?

And yes I know he's not that guy today, that's not the point.

4 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Right but it won't end, because it can't. There will always be something, even if it's in the past now, that will make people think he should step down. Assuming the Biden / Harris ticket WINS we'll get think pieces about how he should step down immediately; I'm sure the NYT, WaPo, etc., have drafts ready to go.

And this isn't directed at anyone here, but the media and individual members of Congress seeming to think that their and the public's reaction to a bad debate is going to move the needle for Biden is fucking batshit insane to me. Are they forgetting who they're dealing with? For how long he's wanted this job? The shit he must have heard about and gone through by proxy as VP to Obama, of all people? 

Obama_and_Biden_await_updates_on_bin_Lad

This guy, addled though he may be, is going to step down absent literally everyone in his professional and personal orbit telling him he should?

And yes I know he's not that guy today, that's not the point.

It can end if the members of Congress stop asking him to step down or if he steps down. Either would end the debate because right now, it continues to be a main story because Democrats are talking about it.

2 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

It can end if the members of Congress stop asking him to step down or if he steps down. Either would end the debate because right now, it continues to be a main story because Democrats are talking about it.

They are dum dums who are dumb.

Just now, SaysWho? said:

Which is why I'd like them to figure it out!

I mean I wouldn't even be mad if Biden decided to not run and clearly I'd be surprised if he did.

I just don't think there's some threshold that can be reached or statement that could be made that would make congressional democrats not talk about it at this point. Biden is who he is, he functions the way he functions.

Part of the issue is until Biden is formally nominated, there is no way to turn the story off since every campaign event is going to be closely watched for more signs of decline. Even after the nomination, Harris could in theory replace him before November. As the story drags and on, more pressure will build until it finally cracks. This is a run away train, it can't be stopped no matter how much we try to shame the media. 

We either just live with this story being omnipresent until November, or Biden leaves. Hell, a possible out for Biden could be to step aside because the question itself has become a distraction. 

14 hours ago, Nokra said:

Biden may not be the ideal candidate, but why the hell is the media not applying at least equal pressure to get the candidate with 34 felony convictions to drop out? :silly:

The right wing media mostly loves Trump (or at least recognize their audience does).

The left wing media is mostly indifferent to Biden, but HATES Trump.  It's not that they are excited about Biden winning, its about Trump losing.  They mostly care that the president is a Democrat.

Friday is starting to sound like friday was the end of Biden's hope as the nominee,ots of "chatter" of a change this week. Now you have beyer saying this during a leadership call,along with four other senior house dems calling for him tk step down including Nadler. 

New: There was some confusion over whether

@RepDonBeyer

called for Biden to step aside as Democratic nominee during a leadership call. Here are Beyer’s quotes, per me

@heatherscope

&

@JakeSherman

sources: “He’s clearly very very fragile. Fragile physically although his handshake is very firm. Also really has trouble putting two sentences together.” “My perfect world is Joe — in deciding after talking to Leader Jeffries, Majority Leader Schumer, others — steps aside now, let Kamala run as the incumbent, which I think makes her even stronger. With that, I’m a team player. I’ll do whatever the team wants.”

11 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

This is the bullshit I'm talking about. This is fucking nothing. As someone who's had to speak / present / run training sessions at countless investigator meetings, I can say with 100% certainty that there are TONS of meetings where people would benefit from visual aides to show them where to go. After your 12th meeting in your 12th hotel where you're delivering the same content for the 12th time after you get off a 12 hour flight, a lot of bullshit goes onto autopilot and it's genuinely very easy to think that you should come onto the stage from the right because that's what you did for the last 6 times and that ain't right this time. I'm sure we're due one hot mic moment where someone on the AV team forgets to mute Biden's mic when he goes to take a shit and we'll get a million ostensibly very serious articles about how he should have realized that green light was on despite the fact that wouldn't be his job.

There are myriad reasons to be concerned about Biden's cognitive health. That someone handed him a visual aid to guide him to the 27th podium he's had to walk to in the last 3 weeks simply is not one of them.

• Thanks 1
  • True 2
  • Halal 1
  • Hugs 1

3 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

This is the bullshit I'm talking about. This is fucking nothing. As someone who's had to speak / present / run training sessions at countless investigator meetings, I can say with 100% certainty that there are TONS of meetings where people would benefit from visual aides to show them where to go. After your 12th meeting in your 12th hotel where you're delivering the same content for the 12th time after you get off a 12 hour flight, a lot of bullshit goes onto autopilot and it's genuinely very easy to think that you should some onto the stage from the right because that's what you did for the last 6 times and that ain't right this time. I'm sure we're one hot mic moment where someone on the AV team forgets to mute Biden's mic when he goes to take a shit and we'll get a million ostensibly very serious articles about how he should have realized that green light was on despite the fact that wouldn't be his job.

There are myriad reasons to be concerned about Biden's cognitive health. That someone handed him a visual aid to guide him to the 27th podium he's had to walk to in the last 3 weeks simply is not one of them.

It’s amazing (not really) how quickly the media has fallen over itself for these BS stories.

• Halal 1

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

It’s amazing (not really) how quickly the media has fallen over itself for these BS stories.

They handed an octogenarian a piece of paper with LARGE PRINT. We're fucked.

37 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Maybe the Democrats shouldn't have picked such a weak candidate?

You don't save a wounded man who is being circled by sharks.

28 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Maybe the Democrats shouldn't have picked such a weak candidate?

You don't save a wounded man who is being circled by sharks.

This issue is fucking dumb. It'd be like someone trying to paint Trump as an asshole by reporting he doesn't hold the elevator door open for people if he sees them coming as the door is closing. Who fucking cares, it's nothing. And maybe the visual aid wouldn't be needed if people didn't freak out about Biden turning the wrong way while exiting a stage that one time, which is ALSO something nobody should give a shit about because it's not relevant.

Biden has issues, this isn't one of them. Saying SCOOP and then posting this is more evidence of cognitive decline at Axios than it is of whatever's going on in Biden's pudding brain.

• Halal 1

56 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

That's what they do for everything.  They'll run stories side by side about how EV sales are declining but then also about how everyone but Tesla had record EV sales.