Rock the Vote '24: update (09/10) - It's "Debate Night" - do yourself a favor and play a video game instead

Every single event from now to November will have a segment about how Biden looked. This isn't going to blow over. If it is Harris, she's going to need a damn good answer on how she viewed Biden behind closed doors. 

IMHO, it can't be Harris, Newsom, Secretary Mayor Pete, or Whitmore. Put this guy in with Newsom to beat up JD Vance. 

EN.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Starmer is (probably) about to win a historic victory for Labour in the UK, so I don't think that analogy helps the case for incumbency (neither does the presence of Rishi Sunak as the actual incumbent).

The situation facing Biden, Harris, and the Democratic leadership is literally "damned if you do, damned if you don't" where every possible option is a risk-fraught minefield that could very well be impossible to navigate electorally.  Anyone who tells you otherwise doesn't have a clue either.

The way I see it is that they probably have two weeks (until just after the RNC and whatever polling data emerges from that) to finalize their course of action. 

I agree, I said earlier it is absolutely a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" scenario so I think we should go more for typical strategic election thinking than get really crazy with it and rely on some hail Mary move, politically speaking. On its face, that's far more of a gamble. If they do it and have him step down for Harris, I'll back their play, but I don't think it will help. 

4 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I agree, I said earlier it is absolutely a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" scenario so I think we should go more for typical strategic election thinking than get really crazy with it and rely on some hail Mary move, politically speaking. On its face, that's far more of a gamble. If they do it and have him step down for Harris, I'll back their play, but I don't think it will help. 

Hoping that another situation like that of last Thursday doesn't transpire is in and of itself a "Hail Mary" play at this point considering the incumbent's historic unpopularity, etc.

All we have left are "Hail Mary" plays.

• True 2

Biden could stop all of this by getting out into the swing states and doing rallies against Trump and scotus decisions but all he's got are 5 minute speeches before shuffling off. And their plan is to do an interview Friday, not yesterday, or today, fucking 2 days from now. Should say it all. 

Did this board really get surprised by the Biden debate performance? This deterioration has been readily apparent for a year now. It may be accelerating at this point. It actually reminds me a lot of this intermediate period in my uncle’s Lewy-Body Dementia where he vacillated significantly between being pretty much himself and being this nearly unrecognizable person. He was a mechanical engineer, as bright and sharp as they come, and then he turned into a confused and scared person. It was really devastating to see up close as he was my neighbor until his eventual death.

Biden is beyond just an old guy doing old guy stuff, and it honestly makes a lot of sense out of the “surprisingly” progressive administration he has run. It is increasingly apparent that a much younger cadre is actually running things over there.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

Did this board really get surprised by the Biden debate performance? This deterioration has been readily apparent for a year now. It may be accelerating at this point. It actually reminds me a lot of this intermediate period in my uncle’s Lewy-Body Dementia where he vacillated significantly between being pretty much himself and being this nearly unrecognizable person. He was a mechanical engineer, as bright and sharp as they come, and then he turned into a confused and scared person. It was really devastating to see up close as he was my neighbor until his eventual death.

Biden is beyond just an old guy doing old guy stuff, and it honestly makes a lot of sense out of the “surprisingly” progressive administration he has run. It is increasingly apparent that a much younger cadre is actually running things over there.

I mean I personally wasn't expecting the Joe Biden from 2012 or even 2020. But there were quite a few moments that were really, really bad. Much worse than expected.

20 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Yes, he looked much worse than I expected. Especially since they were the ones pushing for the debate.

I've thought Biden was too old from the beginning. He was like my 10th choice in the primary. I understand why the democrat establishment pushed everyone out to make him their guy in 2020, but they knew at the time that their then 78 year old candidate would be 82 in 2024, but they were willing to deal with that later. Now that it is later, they are truly suffering the consequences of that choice.

I think he should drop out. I don't feel comfortable with a president who appears unable communicate simple ideas. He's too old.

All that said, if he's the candidate, I will vote for him. I have faith that they'll put smart people around him and literally ANYTHING and ANYONE would be better than Trump.

• Halal 1

2024 Texas Presidential

Trump 52% (+11)

Biden 41%

Trump 45% (+9)

Biden 36%

Kennedy 7%

West 1%

Oliver 1%

Stein 0%

2024 Texas Senate 

Ted Cruz (R-Inc) 46% (+3)

Colin Allred (D) 43%

@ManhattanInst

, 600 LV, 6/25-27

This is not a bad dem environment it's an anti Biden one though. 

9 minutes ago, ort said:

All that said, if he's the candidate, I will vote for him. I have faith that they'll put smart people around him and literally ANYTHING and ANYONE would be better than Trump.

tbf we don't even have to have faith that he will. He already has tons of smart people around him. It's a given.

14 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

tbf we don't even have to have faith that he will. He already has tons of smart people around him. It's a given.

They let him go out and do this debate so how smart are they actually?

• Shocked 1
  • True 1

1 minute ago, stepee said:

Whats crazy is that Biden was that bad and trump STILL didn’t actually beat him at the debate part of things, just goes to show you how far gone that dude is

It is quite the indictment of the country that saying the same five empty sentences over and over was the preferred debate performance 😬

• True 2
  • Sicko Sherman 1

“Biden has only appeared in public three times since a rally Friday in North Carolina — for remarks on a Supreme Court decision, on extreme weather and at Stonewall National Monument in New York — to speak for a total of 22 minutes, exclusively while using teleprompters.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2024/07/03/biden-crisis-debate-democrats/

35 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Haha touché. But I'm more talking about his cabinet and policy wonks. Not his election people.

You’d just think that if he’s as bad as people are making it out to be right now, that his election people would’ve been happy to have Trump skip the debates instead of reaching out and pushing these three events.

2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Hoping that another situation like that of last Thursday doesn't transpire is in and of itself a "Hail Mary" play at this point considering the incumbent's historic unpopularity, etc.

All we have left are "Hail Mary" plays.

That's true but some of these "Hail Mary's" are more of a Hail Mary than others are on that scale, I think. 

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Biden does genuinely have a summer tan, but the make up for the debate completely concealed it.

Yeah I was searching this to see what was being said. This is what I found as well. They are trying to spin it as though they were trying to make him look more lively compared to his pale look in the debate. 

2 hours ago, finaljedi said:

I really hate the fact that if you donate to a Democrat you are punished for eternity with spam texts and emails.

I’ve finally gotten rid of the emails, I think. But the texts are fucking constant. I reply “stop” but more come from different numbers. 🙄

33 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

TMZ is very reliable with celebrity stuff, how are they with political leaks?

WWW.TMZ.COM

Joe Biden has been steadfast up to this point -- he's in the 2024 race to stay, but that's not the way top officials in his campaign are feeling.

And, we're told, the official thinks the likely person to step in if Biden withdraws is Kamala Harris, and part of it is "a money thing." The money Biden raised is earmarked for the Biden/Harris campaign, and there's a serious question if that money would be available to another candidate.

If this is legit, I can only say that I appreciate what Biden was able to accomplish in four years. Not a bad way to end a political career.

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

They let him go out and do this debate so how smart are they actually?

*Conspiracy hat*

The reason for this conspicuously early debate is that some within the administration were worried about Joe's abilities and wanted to force this exact scenario.

This would also explain why such a large contingent of the party started floating the idea so quickly. In some cases before the debate was even done.....

2 hours ago, finaljedi said:

I really hate the fact that if you donate to a Democrat you are punished for eternity with spam texts and emails.

And the subject line always sounds like something from an extremely desperate ex. 

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

And the subject line always sounds like something from an extremely desperate ex. 

“I’m going to do it this time I swear to god. I have the pills and the vodka…

Hi this is Jon Tester and I am in the fight for my life…”

ABC is airing the entire Biden interview Friday at 8pm, night no longer just previewing it, which was odd in the first place.  Seems he's got this weekend to right things and if not goodbye. 

Regardless everything from the Biden campaign will be "In it to win it!" till he's not.