Rock the Vote '24: update (09/10) - It's "Debate Night" - do yourself a favor and play a video game instead

9 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

So, despite historical precedent, you guys are willing to very possibly throw the election to Trump because Biden looked bad at a debate and is old? The election is less than 4 months away. If the last two times Democrats tried to do an open convention and lost, likely it will happen this third time. You really want to roll the dice on that rather than hope we get past this, Biden steps up, rides his incumbency wave, campaign on what he accomplished, etc.? 

I don't like Biden either as a candidate because of his age, I voted against him in the 2020 Democratic primary, but the Democrats made their bed back then. Biden didn't change his mind, so here we are. I don't think it's worth risking losing whatever advantage Biden gives us (he did beat Trump in 2020) just so we can all feel better for 4 months and then lose more decisively. That doesn't mean Biden shouldn't be pressured to do a lot more campaigning, etc. But Democrats are shooting themselves in the foot by continuing to perpetuate this narrative long term in the media. 

I don’t think they should do it at this stage but  if dems won’t shut up about it then fine do it right fucking now - otherwise yeah I just want them to shut up.

1 minute ago, stepee said:

I don’t think they should do it at this stage but  if dems won’t shut up about it then fine do it right fucking now - otherwise yeah I just want them to shut up.

Counterpoint: dems are fucking idiots who love shooting themselves in the foot whenever possible 

• True 2
  • Halal 1

19 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

So, despite historical precedent, you guys are willing to very possibly throw the election to Trump because Biden looked bad at a debate and is old? The election is less than 4 months away. If the last two times Democrats tried to do an open convention and lost, likely it will happen this third time. You really want to roll the dice on that rather than hope we get past this, Biden steps up, rides his incumbency wave, campaign on what he accomplished, etc.? 

(1) There won't be an "open convention" as the pledged delegates will switch to Harris.

(2) If the reporting is to be believed, Biden himself is thinking these thoughts as a responsible candidate would which is to his great credit.

(3) What "incumbency wave"?!?  There is zero evidence that one exists for Biden.

It’d be nice if the media decided to talk about Trump calling Epstein an awful lot or Kennedy liking barbecued dog while he fondled his babysitter.

You know, change it up a bit. It’s a little more of an exotic story than “Biden did bad at debate”.

• Halal 1

18 minutes ago, stepee said:

I don’t think they should do it at this stage but if dems won’t shut up about it then fine do it right fucking now - otherwise yeah I just want them to shut up.

Well this prevaricating they're basically doing isn't helping matters. I agree, they should put up or shut up.

16 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

(1) There won't be an "open convention" as the pledged delegates will switch to Harris.

(2) If the reporting is to be believed, Biden himself is thinking these thoughts as a responsible candidate would which is to his great credit.

(3) What "incumbency wave"?!?  There is zero evidence that one exists for Biden.

All true, but: 

1. Harris is unpopular enough that this would ostensibly be an "open convention" and if it isn't because it has to be Harris, is that really better? People have always seemed to dislike her or hate her (even on the left), her being the nominee would absolutely galvanize (even further) the racists and bigots and sexists on the right (some might be okay with Biden because he's a white Christian man so they don't vote Trump or don't vote at all but may vote Trump to make sure Harris isn't president because racism/sexism). 

2. I also think this is good but more as a wake-up call to Biden to do a lot more, not to step down.

3. I mean, to some degree every president has an incumbency wave. Name recognition goes far with the average voter, who feels typically more comfortable voting for someone they know of vs. someone they don't. Isn't the whole problem with Starmer in the UK for the Labour party is that he's basically an unknown, sudden candidate who is completely vanilla? Incumbents always have an advantage, even if they are (in)famous. 

Wait, so I’m seeing “Biden takes naps” as a disqualifying point. Motherfuker, I take naps, they’re great!

TRUMP KEPT FALLING ASLEEP DURING HIS TRIAL WHAT ARE WE EVEN DOING HERE??

Starmer is (probably) about to win a historic victory for Labour in the UK, so I don't think that analogy helps the case for incumbency (neither does the presence of Rishi Sunak as the actual incumbent).

The situation facing Biden, Harris, and the Democratic leadership is literally "damned if you do, damned if you don't" where every possible option is a risk-fraught minefield that could very well be impossible to navigate electorally.  Anyone who tells you otherwise doesn't have a clue either.

The way I see it is that they probably have two weeks (until just after the RNC and whatever polling data emerges from that) to finalize their course of action. 

• Halal 2

5 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

The media should do a “talk about Project 2025” challenge.

But think about all the clicks the reporters who don't get executed by Trump will get. 

19 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

Wait, so I’m seeing “Biden takes naps” as a disqualifying point. Motherfuker, I take naps, they’re great!

TRUMP KEPT FALLING ASLEEP DURING HIS TRIAL WHAT ARE WE EVEN DOING HERE??

Dems and Republicans are held to very different standards 

So that NYTs poll is out, Trump +6, up 3 from pre-debate poll.

"Of note given history of debate bounces and our last poll: Democrats and Republicans were essentially identically likely to respond to the survey, controlling for race. It's right in line with our average response rates by party x race for the year."

Replace Joe with Jill and save a lot of rebranding

Harris at the top would be fine, and I think having a younger person (read: under retirement age) would be a benefit and provide an immediate contrast with Trump that Biden can’t provide. 

16 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Replace Joe with Jill and save a lot of rebranding

Harris at the top would be fine, and I think having a younger person (read: under retirement age) would be a benefit and provide an immediate contrast with Trump that Biden can’t provide. 

53 minutes ago, stepee said:

New idea: Swap Biden’s and have Jill as president and Joe as first man

ahem

1 minute ago, SuperSpreader said:

Off to the gym, I gotta raise my stamina to survive the camps

Change your icon brotha. :p

I have had enough of her already. 

Biden is old and behaves like some old people do. I don’t believe the “get him out there and show people he’s still got it” tactic is going to work unless DNC leadership feels comfortable playing Russian roulette with every public appearance between now and Election Day. He’s going to be under the microscope and every sundowner moment is going to lead to the narrative that he’s unfit. Even his “good days” like when he was on Seth Meyers are good only when graded on the curviest of curves.

So the options to me seem to be:

1) Get HOLD FAST tattooed onto your knuckles and behave accordingly, treating this as something as close to a typical campaign as possible and count on traditional tactics / perceived advantages, depending on Trump being unpopular

2) Pull the ripcord more or less immediately and strap someone to Harris that will work on some of the rougher areas

• Halal 1

5 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

WSJ poll Trump +6, 80% say Biden is too old, Biden 34% approval, almost 2/3s of dems want Biden replaced.  

Biden is too old, but Trump is only 3 years younger...which is...last I checked...less than 1 term...

% of *Republicans* saying Biden should stay in the race, per NYT/Siena poll

Pre-debate: 21%

Post-debate: 28%

I mean yeah if Trump was down in the polls and had a debate where he struggled to speak I would probably want him to stay too. 

• True 1