Rock the Vote '24: update (09/10) - It's "Debate Night" - do yourself a favor and play a video game instead

More post-debate polling fodder:

In historical terms, the shift from the first post-debate is one of the smaller in modern political history.

GRkND4RWUAA3iJh?format=png&name=360x360

We now have 12 polls partially post-debate, and 10 conducted entirely post-debate.  Biden trails Trump by 3.1% in polls wholly conducted post debate, for a margin shift of 1.8%.  You can quibble some here - but the # of polls gives a good picture of the state of the race.

GRkLUzUXYAAu844?format=png&name=medium

There's a good argument to be made about A lot of the polling were seeing being from non response bias as dems don't really want to answer cause that debate was just that bad. So as time goes by we may see polling revert, but Biden needs to not have anything even resembling a moment like he had in the debate. 

Two things, and apologies if any of them have been discussed. The first is, if you were to replace Biden, all the money donated to him can’t just be used for someone else except I think Harris. Second, his debate performance remains a top story and I think it’s solely because Democrats keep talking about it. Republicans have not or else maybe the top stories would be turned into Trump saying everybody wanted Roe v. Wade gone. 

On the plus side my retirement account loves this and if Trump wins I'll probably be able to retire at like 50-52.

I won't be able to associate with anyone who is gay or trans and feminism will be a dirty word sorry everybody but Gaza & Old Man and he just wasn't liberal enough. 🤷‍♂️ Sucks to suck keep your chin up. Bootstraps y'know?

I swear, if they replace Biden and Fed Soc guys invent a way to get a case through the courts that he can't be replaced on the ballot I'm going to become the Joker. Bluesky lawyers say that the ballot access rules for parties are airtight and that it should be fine, but I don't trust anyone's predictions anymore after the immunity ruling.

1 hour ago, PaladinSolo said:

image0.jpg?ex=6686b984&is=66856804&hm=12

Apparently if the interview and events this weekend dont help him he might pull the plug. 

Please just post the article because the headline and the actual substance of the article don't remotely align at all:

WWW.NYTIMES.COM

The president’s conversation is the first indication that he is seriously considering whether he can recover after a devastating performance on the debate stage in Atlanta on Thursday.

President Biden has told a key ally that he knows he may not be able to salvage his candidacy if he cannot convince the public in the coming days that he is up for the job after a disastrous debate performance last week.

The president, who the ally emphasized is still deeply in the fight for re-election, understands that his next few appearances heading into the holiday weekend — including an interview scheduled for Friday with George Stephanopoulos of ABC News and campaign stops in Pennsylvania and Wisconsin — must go well.

"He knows if he has two more events like that, we're in a different place" by the end of the weekend, said the ally, referring to Mr. Biden's halting and unfocused performance in the debate. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss a sensitive situation."

The conversation is the first indication to become public that the president is seriously considering whether he can recover after a devastating performance on the debate stage in Atlanta on Thursday. Concerns are mounting about his viability as a candidate and whether he could serve as president for another four years.

A top adviser to Mr. Biden, who also spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss the situation, said the president was “well aware of the political challenge he faces.”

But he has told at least one person that he is open to the possibility that his plans to move on from his debate performance — and flip the focus back to Mr. Trump — may not work.

Several allies of Mr. Biden have underscored that the president is still in the fight of his political life and largely sees this moment as a chance to come back from being counted out, as he has done many times throughout his half-century career.

At the same time, they said, he is cleareyed about his uphill battle to convince voters, donors and the political class that his debate performance was an anomaly.

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

Two things, and apologies if any of them have been discussed. The first is, if you were to replace Biden, all the money donated to him can’t just be used for someone else except I think Harris. Second, his debate performance remains a top story and I think it’s solely because Democrats keep talking about it. Republicans have not or else maybe the top stories would be turned into Trump saying everybody wanted Roe v. Wade gone. 

Ezra's DNC expert said moving the money wouldn't be an issue. 

• Thanks 1

Imagine how much better off we would be right now if a year ago he announced he was only going to serve one term. They could have had a regular primary and not be backed into a corner with Harris. The Democrats would have a fresh face, without all the baggage.

This should be the most winnable election ever. A strong democrat would absolutely demolish Trump.

3 minutes ago, ort said:

Imagine how much better off we would be right now if a year ago he announced he was only going to serve one term. They could have had a regular primary and not be backed into a corner with Harris. The Democrats would have a fresh face, without all the baggage.

This should be the most winnable election ever. A strong democrat would absolutely demolish Trump.

It would've have to had been right after the November 2022 midterms rather than "only" a year ago.

1 hour ago, SuperSpreader said:

On the plus side my retirement account loves this and if Trump wins I'll probably be able to retire at like 50-52.

I won't be able to associate with anyone who is gay or trans 

:(

A CNN article covering much the same ground has better framing of its reporting:

WWW.CNN.COM

President Joe Biden has privately acknowledged that the next stretch of days are critical to whether he can save his re-election bid for president, making clear to an ally Tuesday that he understands what would prompt him to accept: “It’s just not working.”

President Joe Biden has privately acknowledged that the next stretch of days are critical to whether he can save his reelection bid for president, making clear to an ally Tuesday that he understands what would prompt him to accept: “It’s just not working.”

“He sees the moment. He’s clear-eyed,” this person told CNN.

There is no ambiguity for the president about what series of events in the coming weeks would ultimately prompt him to acknowledge that his attempt to make amends for last week’s disastrous debate on CNN aren’t working.

It would be a scenario in which “the polls are plummeting, the fundraising is drying up, and the interviews are going badly,” that person said. “He’s not oblivious.”

50 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

If anything, that NYT article illustrates that Biden is fully aware of the situation and won't stubbornly soldier on if he deems it to be untenable.

To his credit, that does show competency.

I just don’t see a way forward for the Democrats without him.  Electoral math gives Republicans a natural advantage, Harris is the only one who it seems they could legally replace him with and that’s no good.

I'm honestly surprised at how much chatter there is about him leaving.

It's actually refreshing. I strongly believe he should drop out and the fact that so many seem to agree or at least are comfortable enough with the idea that they aren't just smacking it down tells me that at least the Democrats aren't as brainwashed and ridiculous as the Republicans.

The right wing media machine just carries trumps bag no matter what he does or says. They don't care. If Trump had a similar thing go down does anyone think Fox News would be having real discussions about him stepping down? They would not. They would dig in further.

Their brains are broken.

• Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

2 minutes ago, finaljedi said:

I just don’t see a way forward for the Democrats without him.  Electoral math gives Republicans a natural advantage, Harris is the only one who it seems they could legally replace him with and that’s no good.

There genuinely are zero "good" options here, but whatever is to be done, it needs to be done relatively soon.

I suppose given the frailty of the situation, now isn’t a time to experiment with someone crazy like Polis. If a black man broke the right, I’d have to imagine a gay Jew would do even more damage to them. 

So, despite historical precedent, you guys are willing to very possibly throw the election to Trump because Biden looked bad at a debate and is old? The election is less than 4 months away. If the last two times Democrats tried to do an open convention and lost, likely it will happen this third time. You really want to roll the dice on that rather than hope we get past this, Biden steps up, rides his incumbency wave, campaign on what he accomplished, etc.? 

I don't like Biden either as a candidate because of his age, I voted against him in the 2020 Democratic primary, but the Democrats made their bed back then. Biden didn't change his mind, so here we are. I don't think it's worth risking losing whatever advantage Biden gives us (he did beat Trump in 2020) just so we can all feel better for 4 months and then lose more decisively. That doesn't mean Biden shouldn't be pressured to do a lot more campaigning, etc. But Democrats are shooting themselves in the foot by continuing to perpetuate this narrative long term in the media. 

• Halal 2