Rock the Vote '24: update (09/10) - It's "Debate Night" - do yourself a favor and play a video game instead

6 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

That’s Americans in general 

I remember one day my history teacher in high school specifically said “everybody, do not stay in this small town and live here your whole life. This is not the place to experience life.” Always liked that guy.

• stepee 1

1 hour ago, stepee said:

I demand the swift poll numbers 

58 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Swift: 99.999% Trump: 1%
*this polling has a 1.001% margin of error 

This is the way <3

Harris would at least do away with the annoying “why can’t I vote for someone under the age of 1000” you see online and could be a benefit there. 

But once again dems fall in love, republicans fall in line 

So either Biden doesn't know what day it is or he's lying, he hadn't been out of the country for almost 2 weeks and spent 8 days at camp David prior preparing for the debate. 

“I wasn’t very smart,” President Biden says in McLean. “I decided to travel around the world a couple times, going through I don’t know how many time zones — for real I think it 15 time zones...I didn’t listen to my staff.” “And then I came back and nearly fell asleep on stage.“

• Haha 1

Y'all doing Biden dirty. Shame. Shame. Shame. Dems should be ashamed. It's like liberals want Trump to win too.

He gave you gay marriage and cash for clunkers. You'll never get a better or more progressive president again in our lifetime.

15 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

Honestly all this is making me feel like it's useless and Trump has it. And as an actual Biden fan that's a bad sign for how this is gonna go.

Biden's win in 2020 was never about Biden himself.  It was about Trump.

This time, Trump has the reverse card.

1 hour ago, SuperSpreader said:

Y'all doing Biden dirty. Shame. Shame. Shame. Dems should be ashamed. It's like liberals want Trump to win too.

He gave you gay marriage and cash for clunkers. You'll never get a better or more progressive president again in our lifetime.

On what he's actually done, he went much more progressive during his presidency than I thought he would after he accepted the nomination in 2020. But I do feel with progressives, chasing issues is more exciting than solving them or making progress on them.

• Halal 1

Harris is seemingly not very likable… it would be hilarious for her to be the candidate because she covers the two bases that the “anti-woke, racists” converge on..

As a woman she could thoroughly and with conviction represent the deterioration of womens right to choose that the Trump campaign championed…

The real question is, is she that unlikable.. like Hillary levels of bad?? does she have the chops to debate and dunk Trump.. can she get a “message” out and connect with folks…. the deplorables will call her every racist name they can, but does she have the chops to galvanize and mobilize the womens vote (outside all stepford wives)

I’m starting to see the fallout from this as 70% self inflicted. Democrats are destroying themselves. It’s time to line up behind Biden or Trump is going to win. Harris is the only other option, but if they’re going that route, Biden needs to step aside by the end of next week. Biden or bust 

• True 3
  • Halal 1

I mean maybe something big an unexpected will happen but...

Biden ain't stepping down. He's laughed this notion off for literal years now. He's had Presidential aspirations since I was a child. He's been a career politician for longer than that. The notion that some rough polling and bad reactions to a debate are going to make him step aside is to ignore literally everything we know about the man as well as a non-trivial amount of things we accept to be politically true most of the time.

I think the waters we're drifting into are uncharted enough that some of the latter portion of that paragraph probably doesn't mean as much as it typically does (incumbent candidate, running against an unpopular candidate, etc.), but I don't think those things are a compelling enough reason for someone who's been gunning for this job for almost half a century to walk away from it.

1 hour ago, Massdriver said:

I’m starting to see the fallout from this as 70% self inflicted. Democrats are destroying themselves. It’s time to line up behind Biden or Trump is going to win. Harris is the only other option, but if they’re going that route, Biden needs to step aside by the end of next week. Biden or bust 

What I keep coming back to is, if the conversation about replacing Biden had to happen, why on earth could it not have happened 6 months ago when there could've been a real primary process to replace him? He suddenly got old just in the last week? It's really all because of the debate performance? Nobody thought there was a chance than an 81 year old man might come out and sound like an 81 year old man until it actually happened? It's just completely reckless to do this all of a sudden right now.

12 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

What I keep coming back to is, if the conversation about replacing Biden had to happen, why on earth could it not have happened 6 months ago when there could've been a real primary process to replace him? He suddenly got old just in the last week? It's really all because of the debate performance? Nobody thought there was a chance than an 81 year old man might come out and sound like an 81 year old man until it actually happened? It's just completely reckless to do this all of a sudden right now.

It's like when you haven't seen your grandpa for 10 years and then when you visit him you realize that he's somehow an old man. :o

What if we tried 

President: Harris

VP: A stable, old-fashioned, bipartisanship-oriented, experienced politician but still has working class vibes, a demographic counterbalance to Kamala, and born and raised in the biggest swing state. Joe Biden.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Massdriver said:

And if he’s not going to step aside, he needs a media blitz—interviews, town halls, whatever it takes to make it seem like he’s perfectly capable of being the old Biden without relying on a teleprompter.

The second half of the debate did seem to hint that he could be up for it.  But a ‘hide him in the basement’ campaign strategy ain’t gonna work.  It’s not 2020 anymore. (thank god)

1 hour ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

And if he’s not going to step aside, he needs a media blitz—interviews, town halls, whatever it takes to make it seem like he’s perfectly capable of being the old Biden without relying on a teleprompter.

This exactly what the campaign supposedly has planned, starting with the Stephanopoulos interview on Friday.

8 hours ago, Ricofoley said:

There are any number of reasons why it didn't happen or perhaps it did happen but it didn't gain traction or was shut down by party leaders, major donors, etc.  Hell, it's entirely possible that he was "fine" six months ago and there really was no concern about his age within the upper ranks at all.  However, my understanding is that the onset of the cognitive issues associated with aging tend not to follow set patterns - they can either be relatively progressive yet slow or they can happen suddenly at once.

The reason why it's suddenly exploded into the open is because of the debate performance which had quelling the concerns about Biden's age as one of its primary objectives.