Rock the Vote '24: update (09/10) - It's "Debate Night" - do yourself a favor and play a video game instead

8 hours ago, Reputator said:

The thing with the de-certification scheme is that it's been tried already, and has failed in court. In order for their refusal to certify to stand, they have to prove in court they have evidence, and that's one thing that MAGAts have failed to do time and time again.

yeah, but this time methinks the SCOTUS will be willing to hear the cases if asked.

The GOP will put the “election is stolen” on the other foot so that the Dems can be “justifiably” rejected (in mind of MAGAts).. with that type of contest the push will go to the SCOTUS…. the same SCOTUS whose powers the DEMS have said they will rein in by packing the court.

We are in the last 100 or so days prior to the election itself, must definitely keep track of state election boards and see what last minute mechanisms the GOP unveil to guarantee results.. I hope the Dems have a plan for clearly biased SCOTUS rulings

The man who a few weeks ago was pushing for a blitz primary has another take:

THEHILL.COM

px-captcha

Democratic strategist James Carville said Vice President Harris should accept a Fox News invitation to debate former President Trump next month.

“I hope somebody in the vice president campaign is listening. I think we should accept the Fox debate, and I think the debate should take place on the night of Sept. 18th in New York City, and I think we should be gracious to former President Trump,” he said.

1 hour ago, MarSolo said:

I see this analogy made a lot, but Howard Dean’s campaign ended because he made a weird scream, meanwhile Trump can say this and it barely makes the news.

A weird scream in an extremely loud room where he was trying to shout over the crowd, and his microphone isolated out the crowd noise so all you heard him was screaming. Which all the news media knew perfectly well but still made dunking on him for it the narrative. 

And if recent elections are any indictor, polls undercount dems because young people are basically impossible to get a hold of.

Not that I'm young but I will never take a call from an unknown number and the vast majority of 18-34 year olds only have cell phones. The only people who willingly answer random calls are old as shit. 

• True 2

Just now, Air_Delivery said:

And if recent elections are any indictor, polls undercount dems because young people are basically impossible to get a hold of.

Not that I'm young but I will take a call from an unknown number and the vast majority of 18-34 year olds only have cell phones. The only people who willingly answer random calls are old as shit. 

Yup. I’m in a position at my work where I get a lot of unsolicited calls of people trying to sell something to my team. So I don’t answer if you’re not on my contact list. 

1 minute ago, Air_Delivery said:

Not that I'm young but I will take a call from an unknown number and the vast majority of 18-34 year olds only have cell phones. The only people who willingly answer random calls are old as shit. 

Hell, you're lucky if I answer the phone even if I know your number! Who the fuck's out here making phone calls?!

Look I know the dude's an astronaut and stuff, and is quite accomplished, but he just looks like he's waiting to yell the n-word before having a heart attack and dying at the dinner table, falling face-first into a bowl of potato salad.

1 hour ago, Air_Delivery said:

Not that I'm young but I will never take a call from an unknown number and the vast majority of 18-34 year olds only have cell phones. The only people who willingly answer random calls are old as shit. 

The polls also solicit via text and online this trope needs to die. I’ve personally been polled for state and local races this way. 

Response rate is lower and you have to deal with biases in the types of people who respond but they do happen. 

This however does affect the results when you consider the assumptions that have to be made about the electorate that gives top line numbers

35 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

The polls also solicit via text and online this trope needs to die. I’ve personally been polled for state and local races this way. 

I would be just as unlikely to respond to unsolicited texts or whatever "online" means.

45 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Response rate is lower and you have to deal with biases in the types of people who respond but they do happen. 

This however does affect the results when you consider the assumptions that have to be made about the electorate that gives top line numbers

I think its more young people are more guarded about their information. I'm middle age but I don't respond to anything because I assume everything is a scam. 

2 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I also don't click links in texts, because I also get plenty of scam texts.  So those don't get clicked and those don't get replies.  I ignore them because the USPS constantly wants to get in touch with me over packages that they're holding, my "bank" wants me to click this link, someone wants to hire me for a job I never applied for, and on and on.  Apparently people in the northern Ohio area codes are getting scam texts about upaid tolls on the Ohio Turnpike.

There's also the bullshit "polls" that the legitimate Democrats send out that are just bullshit lead ins for donation.  Questions like "Do you think healthcare should be affordable to everyone?" with a donation link at the bottom of 4 questions like that.

I'd say most people millennial and younger are probably ignoring most polling that comes their way due to the sheer amount of bullshit noise that people are trained to just automatically filter.

• True 2

1 hour ago, finaljedi said:

I also don't click links in texts, because I also get plenty of scam texts.  So those don't get clicked and those don't get replies.  I ignore them because the USPS constantly wants to get in touch with me over packages that they're holding, my "bank" wants me to click this link, someone wants to hire me for a job I never applied for, and on and on.  Apparently people in the northern Ohio area codes are getting scam texts about upaid tolls on the Ohio Turnpike.

There's also the bullshit "polls" that the legitimate Democrats send out that are just bullshit lead ins for donation.  Questions like "Do you think healthcare should be affordable to everyone?" with a donation link at the bottom of 4 questions like that.

I'd say most people millennial and younger are probably ignoring most polling that comes their way due to the sheer amount of bullshit noise that people are trained to just automatically filter.

Pointing Point Up GIF by Action Bronson

4 hours ago, finaljedi said:

Yeah txt and online polling millennial and younger would be a fine replacement for phone calls..if phishing never existed. Essentially the one main rule you learn to prevent phishing attacks is to never ever ever click on any link sent to you, even if you do know the person, only ever go direct to the source typing it in yourself if you do think it’s something you need to look at it. It’s the number one rule. For spam the number one rule is never respond to anyone you don’t know.

So you’d be left with people who specifically go into their web browser and type out/search for polls they could participate in, or people with very bad security habits. 

• True 1

Text polling doesn’t necessarily mean you have to click on a link. You can … text them back. This has its own problems but it’s a valid way to solicit polling responses. 

a lot of you guys are also conflating “what I would/what should be done” with what people actually do when it comes to strange links lol. 

• True 1

19 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Text polling doesn’t necessarily mean you have to click on a link. You can … text them back. This has its own problems but it’s a valid way to solicit polling responses. 

a lot of you guys are also conflating “what I would/what should be done” with what people actually do when it comes to strange links lol. 

Well I just figure that conservatives would be more likely to be the dumb people who would click on random links or answer random txts because it’s advisable not to, and they tend to go against anything advisable. 

I added the spam part to address txt.

Im not saying no democrats ever answer these, but I wouldn’t be wholly shocked if it greatly skews the results.

8 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I've finally gotten my mom a little more security aware to stop responding to unsolicited texts.  I worked at Anthem when they got breached and part of that was employee HR data and since then I felt like I got early access to every scam targeted or not.  I get everything from the very specifically targeted at me to the "What time are we having dinner tonight?" random texts.

Responding to unsolicited texts or answering the phone, even if you're really resistant to being scammed, sets you up for an irritating time at the very least.

I don't think anyone is saying they're complete bullshit, just that there are probably large swaths of certain types of people underrepresented.

• stepee 1

7 minutes ago, stepee said:

Well I just figure that conservatives would be more likely to be the dumb people who would click on random links or answer random txts because it’s advisable not to, and they tend to go against anything advisable. 

I added the spam part to address txt.

Im not saying no democrats ever answer these, but I wouldn’t be wholly shocked if it greatly skews the results.

There’s no way it doesn’t skew conservative and boomer lol 

• True 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Rock the Vote '24: update (08/05) - Harris's VP shortlist has narrowed to Shapiro and Walz per Reuters