Rock the Vote '24: update (08/27) - 200+ former GOP staffers endorse Harris

11 hours ago, marioandsonic said:

I was laid off two weeks ago.  I know I have no hope of anyone who would want to hire a pathetic loser like me.  The best I can hope for now is to donate my cat a humane shelter, and give him a decent home.  Meanwhile, I'll just die in a gutter somewhere where nobody cares.

Look man, only a couple people here know it, but I switched careers two months ago because new management wanted me to do something I straight up didn't want to do. They were awful and I have an attorney representing me against them at the moment.

I was lucky that I had a job the next week because I was searching before shit hit the fan; not everyone gets that lucky with timing. But the experience taught me that, sometimes, being severed, laid off, unwanted, etc., at an old job can be a blessing because if you're well-meaning and doing the work, then there is something seriously wrong with the management/ownership who didn't want you. Take Spork's advice, have your resume, and apply apply apply. It's good that you're thinking of your cat, but the solution isn't giving him away; it's getting yourself back on two feet so he can walk on four with a roof over his head.

• stepee 2
  • True 1
  • Halal 2
  • Hugs 4

1 minute ago, SaysWho? said:

Look man, only a couple people here know it, but I switched careers two months ago because new management wanted me to do something I straight up didn't want to do. They were awful and I have an attorney representing me against them at the moment.

I was lucky that I had a job the next week; not everyone gets that opportunity. But the experience taught me that, sometimes, being severed, laid off, unwanted, etc., at an old job can be a blessing because if you're well-meaning and doing the work, then there is something seriously wrong with the management/ownership who didn't want you. Take Spork's advice, have your resume, and apply apply apply. It's good that you're thinking of your cat, but the solution isn't giving him away; it's getting yourself back on two feet so he can walk on all fours with a roof over his head.

Also, I'm sure if @marioandsonic wants help, he can post stuff in the community thread and people can give advice on the resume, etc. I'd gladly take a look!

• True 1
  • Halal 1

I know I was in an incredibly dire place just 4 1/2 years ago where it seemed like it was all hopeless and everything was falling apart and then things turned around and I got a job that actually used my skills and quickly started moving up until things got really wild and now I’m retired but things were really going well career wise at the end. Things can always turn around no matter how bad it feels right now.

One thing that I think helps is to always remember that no matter what, it’s never too late to start a dry wall business. 

• Haha 1
  • True 1

NYMAG.COM

The president’s mental decline was like a dark family secret for many elite supporters.

Flood gates are completely open now. 

Those who encountered the president in social settings sometimes left their interactions disturbed. Longtime friends of the Biden family, who spoke to me on the condition of anonymity, were shocked to find that the president did not remember their names. At a White House event last year, a guest recalled, with horror, realizing that the president would not be able to stay for the reception because, it was clear, he would not be able to make it through the reception. The guest wasn’t sure they could vote for Biden, since the guest was now open to an idea that they had previously dismissed as right-wing propaganda: The president may not really be the acting president after all.

Saying hello to one Democratic megadonor and family friend at the White House recently, the president stared blankly and nodded his head. The First Lady intervened to whisper in her husband’s ear, telling him to say “hello” to the donor by name and to thank them for their recent generosity. The president repeated the words his wife had fed him. “It hasn’t been good for a long time but it’s gotten so, so much worse,” a witness to the exchange told me. “So much worse!”

10 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:
NYMAG.COM

The president’s mental decline was like a dark family secret for many elite supporters.

Those who encountered the president in social settings sometimes left their interactions disturbed. Longtime friends of the Biden family, who spoke to me on the condition of anonymity, were shocked to find that the president did not remember their names. At a White House event last year, a guest recalled, with horror, realizing that the president would not be able to stay for the reception because, it was clear, he would not be able to make it through the reception. The guest wasn’t sure they could vote for Biden, since the guest was now open to an idea that they had previously dismissed as right-wing propaganda: The president may not really be the acting president after all.

Saying hello to one Democratic megadonor and family friend at the White House recently, the president stared blankly and nodded his head. The First Lady intervened to whisper in her husband’s ear, telling him to say “hello” to the donor by name and to thank them for their recent generosity. The president repeated the words his wife had fed him. “It hasn’t been good for a long time but it’s gotten so, so much worse,” a witness to the exchange told me. “So much worse!”

I’m sorry, I don’t want to be in denial, but this sounds like hyperbolic bullshit.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

39 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Also, I'm sure if @marioandsonic wants help, he can post stuff in the community thread and people can give advice on the resume, etc. I'd gladly take a look!

He said he knows COBOL, so that seems like an obvious place to start with job hunting. It looks like there are remote COBOL jobs too so he wouldn't even have to move necessarily.

• Halal 1

2 hours ago, PaladinSolo said:
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

The president’s opening remark to a group of key Democratic leaders — that he was in the race to stay — chilled any talk of his withdrawal, participants said.

Said he needs to work less, sleep more, and fewer events after 8pm,lol....

Joe Biden leading by example. 4-day work week here we come!

• Hype 2

1 hour ago, stepee said:

it’s never too late to start a dry wall business. 

Don’t sleep on painting. $800 for a sprayer, good brushes, painters tarp, and then find some day labor to do the work.

IMG-0557

White people LOVE getting their stuff painted, and my guys don’t care about American holidays. 

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1
  • Hype 1

3 hours ago, Jason said:

Hochul is an unbelievably enormous moron with the political instincts of a brick so now I'm 100% convinced Biden should drop off the ticket.

image.png

The most cynical thing I've read in all this is the belief by congressional dems that some of the Governors gave their full endorsement to try and derail kamala cause if she won shed most likely be the 2028 nominee,which some of them have plans to be. So if Hochul is one of those govs, then LOL. 

11 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

The most cynical thing I've read in all this is the belief by congressional dems that some of the Governors gave their full endorsement to try and derail kamala cause if she won shed most likely be the 2028 nominee,which some of them have plans to be. So if Hochul is one of those govs, then LOL. 

Hochul is definitely stupid enough to think that's a good plan. 

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I’m sorry, I don’t want to be in denial, but this sounds like hyperbolic bullshit.

That was my thought as well.

That doesn't sound like sundowning or dementia, that sounds like someone who just survived a massive stroke or something.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

Don’t sleep on painting. $800 for a sprayer, good brushes, painters tarp, and then find some day labor to do the work.

IMG-0557

White people LOVE getting their stuff painted, and my guys don’t care about American holidays. 

And...you don't care about paying them 1.5x or 2x on a stat holiday? Or you are paying them that already?

EDIT - I just assume this from your wording of them not caring about American holidays, which to me implies they don't mind working for regular rates compared to most people which need to be paid 1.5x or 2x for stat work.

10 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

That was my thought as well.

That doesn't sound like sundowning or dementia, that sounds like someone who just survived a massive stroke or something.

The “horrified” part is where my eyebrow raised.

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

That's because it is. The thing about conspiracy theories is that they presume hundreds to potentially thousands of people are capable of keeping their mouths shut. There's no way that the President of the United States has been bumbling into every social situation he's involved with and everyone agreed to not speak a word of it. You can't even cover up a mistake at an office situation as long as one person catches you make the mistake because they'll inevitably tell someone. However, we're supposed to believe that the most watched person on the planet has been stumbling around like Weekend at Bernie's and it's been kept as the world's greatest secret.

And, from the inner circles I am a part of, I can say that this is definitely not some secret being spread around. I am confident that if there were so many secret accounts of Biden drooling on himself at least one would have gotten back to me in my current position.

I can't say any more than that because I don't know any more than that. And I'll admit that if I had any insight into Biden's performance last week that it would be pure speculation on my part which I am not going to engage in.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Oracle said:

That's because it is. The thing about conspiracy theories is that they presume hundreds to potentially thousands of people are capable of keeping their mouths shut. There's no way that the President of the United States has been bumbling into every social situation he's involved with and everyone agreed to not speak a word of it. You can't even cover up a mistake at an office situation as long as one person catches you make the mistake because they'll inevitably tell someone. However, we're supposed to believe that the most watched person on the planet has been stumbling around like Weekend at Bernie's and it's been kept as the world's greatest secret.

And, from the inner circles I am a part of, I can say that this is definitely not some secret being spread around. I am confident that if there were so many secret accounts of Biden drooling on himself at least one would have gotten back to me in my current position.

I can't say any more than that because I don't know any more than that. And I'll admit that if I had any insight into Biden's performance last week that it would be pure speculation on my part which I am not going to engage in.

I mean, they couldn’t even keep Commander nipping at people under wraps 

• True 2

3 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Or even more relevantly, when Senator Feinstein began her decline. There was no hiding it. Even Dems in Congress were openly talking about her mental decline. And, while she was a very well-known senator, she still didn't have the spotlight of president. News of her dementia episodes spread faster than a California wildfire.

• True 2

30 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

To paraphrase Ernest Hemingway: "'This country is a fine place and worth fighting for.' I agree with the second part."

Yeah nah, imma just watch the collapse. My fighting days are behind me and those were wasted days 

• Hugs 1

If he had a good debate I’d be laughing at these reports but with that and clyburn and pelosi and a few others not outright pushing back there’s definitely some fire for all the smoke. And I think Joe is a great president

• Halal 1

3 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Also during the Trump administration there were tons of leaks from both this country and others on ways to engage with Trump in a way to keep his microscopic attention span focused on the topic at hand.

6 hours ago, PaladinSolo said:
NYMAG.COM

• Shocked 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hype 1

Nuzzi's article does two things. It shows how absolutely dire Biden's presentation is outside of a guarded and prepared setting. And it also shows how much of a heartless DC ghoul she is. 

• True 1

3 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

If he had a good debate I’d be laughing at these reports but with that and clyburn and pelosi and a few others not outright pushing back there’s definitely some fire for all the smoke. And I think Joe is a great president

Wasn't Pelosi the one who used to be all "stop with the chatter, Feinstein's fine"?

6 hours ago, Oracle said:

Or even more relevantly, when Senator Feinstein began her decline. There was no hiding it. Even Dems in Congress were openly talking about her mental decline. And, while she was a very well-known senator, she still didn't have the spotlight of president. News of her dementia episodes spread faster than a California wildfire.

Yes. So if Biden steps down I hope to see a lot more calls for all these other old fogeys to get kicked out. How about Mitch McConnell steps down? Let's say goodbye to Jim Risch and Chuck Grassley. Fuck em all!

• stepee 1