Rumor: Resident Evil REMake Remake using RE Engine is in development

WCCFTECH.COM

A remake of the original Resident Evil powered by the RE Engine is currently in the works, according to rumors circulating online

A second remake of the original Resident Evil is apparently in the works, according to rumors circulating online.

As reported on the Gaming Leaks and Rumors subreddit, DanielRPK, who proved to be somewhat reliable in the past, revealed on their Patreon that a new remake of the first entry in the survival-horror series by CAPCOM powered by the RE Engine is now in development.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Rumor: Resident Evil REMake Remake using RE Engine is in development
On 5/13/2024 at 8:51 AM, Dodger said:

Works for me, I tried to play the remake and  just can't do the tank controls anymore

Yeah, I played Resident Evil remake somewhat recently and it was feeling a bit archaic to me due to its fixed camera angles and tank controls so I stopped.

On 5/13/2024 at 8:51 AM, Greatoneshere said:

I'm glad it's a second remake of the original rather than RE5. I was happy with either an RE0 remake, a Code Veronica remake, or an RE1 remake, so I'm all in on this. 

I’m also glad that it’s not Resident Evil 5 because we don’t need a remake of that since the original still holds up, but I would have liked a Code: Veronica remake. I hope that it’ll eventually happen because it’s one of my favorite games in the series.

• Hype 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well word now is that the RE1 remake rumor was not true and instead they're remaking RE0 and RE: Code Veronica at the same time. This is great news if true.

WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

Capcom currently has remakes of both Resident Evil Zero and Resident Evil: Code Veronica in development, according to p…

• Halal 1
  • Hype 2

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

Well word now is that the RE1 remake rumor was not true and instead they're remaking RE0 and RE: Code Veronica at the same time. This is great news if true.

WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

Capcom currently has remakes of both Resident Evil Zero and Resident Evil: Code Veronica in development, according to p…

The two games in the series I've never beaten. Don't think I ever even played zero.

• Hype 1

I've been saying for years now they should remake the first game again with modern controls and camera perspective. Hope it's true. Hope 0 and Code Veronica also get remakes since people also seem to really want those.

4 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

They are bad games and will flop hard. If you thought the RE3 haters were bad woof.

8 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

Is it though? RE0's story was laughably bad, even by RE standards. I personally think they could reduce that entire game down to a two or three hour prologue for Rebecca and sandwich it somewhere into RE1.

I'd be down for an RECV, although I'm 100% sure they'd swap out early 2000's Steve cringe with early 2020's Steve cringe.

I've never played RE0.  I think I got halfway through Code Veronica X almost 20 years ago and quit playing.  I went though RE burnout back then since I had played so much of it.

I've probably said it before, but I rented Code Veronica for the Dreamcast when it came out. Had the intention of beating it during those few days. Got to the end but I didn't have enough equipment/ammo to actually beat the boss. I remember being so mad. Didnt have a save state to go back and try again so I pretty much wrote the game off after that. I would definitely play a remake now.

6 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

They are bad games and will flop hard. If you thought the RE3 haters were bad woof.

To me, most of the RE3R hate came from the remake cutting stuff out from the original game. RE3 was always a lesser game, wedged between RE2 and RE4 and RE3 was originally conceived as an expansion pack before becoming it's own fully fledged game which is where most of the problems people had with the original RE3 came from. I think it also being compared to two of the best games in the series, RE2 and RE4, doesn't do it any favors.

1 hour ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Is it though? RE0's story was laughably bad, even by RE standards. I personally think they could reduce that entire game down to a two or three hour prologue for Rebecca and sandwich it somewhere into RE1.

I'd be down for an RECV, although I'm 100% sure they'd swap out early 2000's Steve cringe with early 2020's Steve cringe.

RE0 is rough in spots, but that's why I think a remake could improve upon a foundation that outside of its story was pretty good. I enjoyed the character swap mechanic and it was nice to play an RE before anyone knew what was going on with Umbrella, etc. since the later games get so much more action-y as a result of there being no more horror/mystery since everyone knows what's going on by the later games.

On 5/28/2024 at 8:22 PM, Greatoneshere said:

I hope that this is true, although I would still like a new remake of the first game as well.

On 5/29/2024 at 6:45 AM, Greatoneshere said:

RE0 is rough in spots, but that's why I think a remake could improve upon a foundation that outside of its story was pretty good. I enjoyed the character swap mechanic and it was nice to play an RE before anyone knew what was going on with Umbrella, etc. since the later games get so much more action-y as a result of there being no more horror/mystery since everyone knows what's going on by the later games.

I agree, I really like Resident Evil Zero but it has the same problems as Resident Evil remake with fixed camera angles and tank controls along with a bad inventory system where you can’t store inventory items and have to drop them on the ground. Everything else about it is solid, so a remake would be good.

• Hype 1

42 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

I hope that this is true, although I would still like a new remake of the first game as well.

I don't doubt that another remake of RE1 will happen. Maybe they'll announce it in 2026 to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the original game. Right now though it looks like RE0, Code Veronica and RE9 are in active development.