Calling all Musicians!

Any musicians here? i play guitar. These days I just noodle around to keep flexible, but I do have a couple of new songs I wrote that I'd like to record at some point.

What instrument(s) do you play? Are you in a band? Do you write?

:hmm:

My parents put me in violin lessons from the time I was 5-12, and from 12-18 I played the flute in high school band and had a couple of years of piano lessons. I picked up a bit of guitar in college and then I played guitar (and bass) in a band with some friends in grad school, mostly just covering 90s and 2000s alternative that we liked. 

Despite all of that, I would not call myself a musician or say that I'm good at any of those instruments. :p 

• stepee 1

On 5/13/2024 at 8:17 AM, Haya Dune said:

Any musicians here? i play guitar. These days I just noodle around to keep flexible, but I do have a couple of new songs I wrote that I'd like to record at some point.

What instrument(s) do you play? Are you in a band? Do you write?

:hmm:

I also play guitar. What kinds of equipment do you use? My main is a Gibson Explorer made in 1996. But I have a Jackson PS-4 and an Ibanez RGA8 as well. All of which go through a Marshall DSL100 half stack. As well as several acoustic guitars.

Not in a band currently. I write sometimes but haven't written anything with focused intention in several years now. Kids, etc.

• stepee 1

5 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

@Haya Dune - please feel free to share your songs if you feel comfortable doing so!

Thanks, I'm working up to it. Looking into recording something through a desk cam. Nothing professional, but enough to show people. First I gotta set up a desk cam. :derp:

1 hour ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I also play guitar. What kinds of equipment do you use? My main is a Gibson Explorer made in 1996. But I have a Jackson PS-4 and an Ibanez RGA8 as well. All of which go through a Marshall DSL100 half stack. As well as several acoustic guitars.

Not in a band currently. I write sometimes but haven't written anything with focused intention in several years now. Kids, etc.

I only have one working guitar, a Collings 290 I got used a couple of years ago. The amp is a Supro Delta King tube amp with a 12" speaker. These days I mainly practice unplugged. It doesn't wake the neighbors. I'd love to have a dedicated studio though, instead of a corner of the basement.  

• Hugs 1

1 hour ago, Haya Dune said:

I only have one working guitar, a Collings 290 I got used a couple of years ago. The amp is a Supro Delta King tube amp with a 12" speaker. These days I mainly practice unplugged. It doesn't wake the neighbors. I'd love to have a dedicated studio though, instead of a corner of the basement.  

Does that one have humbuckers? Or P90s?

I took guitar lessons for a bit and I also played a fair amount of Rocksmith to the point where I could reliably play a few easier songs from memory and do a half decent job.  

Unfortunately, I hit the same wall I do with a lot of stuff where I realized to get actually good I would need to dedicate actual and serious effort into it otherwise I would just stay at the same basic plucking level forever, and I just kind of stopped.  That was years ago, so I know if I started now I’d be ever so slightly better than having not touched a guitar in my life, but that would be it.

Also doesn’t help that I have weirdly small hands for a man my size and some chords were nigh impossible.

• Sad 1

Anyone know anything about recording? I know nothing. Ideally, I'd like some device with a regular 1/4" jack for the guitar and a USB output. Any valid ideas/recommendations will be met with hugs, compliments, and possibly even gifts. :bow:

On 5/14/2024 at 2:52 PM, stepee said:

I like to dabble with electric guitar just doing my own stuff. @ShreddieMercury can be heard in games!

Thanks for the shout!

Yes, I play a few instruments, but mostly guitar.  I've had the opportunity to record a few things for games and movies.  I recently played guitar on this song that was in Pacific Drive:

On 5/15/2024 at 10:15 AM, Haya Dune said:

Anyone know anything about recording? I know nothing. Ideally, I'd like some device with a regular 1/4" jack for the guitar and a USB output. Any valid ideas/recommendations will be met with hugs, compliments, and possibly even gifts. :bow:

If you don't need a variety of inputs (multiple microphones for example), I think the Focusrite Scarlett Solo is the best option.  It's what I use for home recording, and has one XLR and one 1/4 input.  It's not crazy expensive and it's by far the best and easiest to setup audio interface that I've used: https://www.amazon.com/Focusrite-Scarlett-Audio-Interface-Tools/dp/B07QR6Z1JB?th=1

46 minutes ago, ShreddieMercury said:

If you don't need a variety of inputs (multiple microphones for example), I think the Focusrite Scarlett Solo is the best option.  It's what I use for home recording, and has one XLR and one 1/4 input.  It's not crazy expensive and it's by far the best and easiest to setup audio interface that I've used: https://www.amazon.com/Focusrite-Scarlett-Audio-Interface-Tools/dp/B07QR6Z1JB?th=1

That looks like just what I was looking for! Thanks! I think I'll get one. :twothumbsup:

Which model do you use?

Cool gig, btw. How did you break into the music industry?

33 minutes ago, Haya Dune said:

That looks like just what I was looking for! Thanks! I think I'll get one. :twothumbsup:

Cool gig, btw. How did you get into the music industry?

I wouldn't consider myself part of the music industry, as I just do it for fun and it's certainly not lucrative for me.  I studied music in college, guitar performance and audio engineering, but I ended up switching majors as prospects generally weren't looking good at the time.  I ended up living next to a film composer, which is how I've kept up with it and had the opportunity to contribute to stuff.  Otherwise I'd just play and record on my own, though I've found I play less and less with age.  But playing music is transcendent, so I always encourage people to pick up an instrument and learn.  I think it's the most fun learning process there is.

• stepee 1

@ShreddieMercury One more question regarding the recording device you recommend. 

WWW.AMAZON.COM

Amazon.com: Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen USB Audio Interface for Guitarists, Vocalists, Podcasters or Producers to record and playback studio quality sound : Focusrite: Everything Else

This may be a stupid question as well, but I claim extreme ignorance of the subject: Do I need to have this hooked up to a computer when I record? Or can I take it places and download the info when I get home?

1 hour ago, Haya Dune said:

@ShreddieMercury One more question regarding the recording device you recommend. 

WWW.AMAZON.COM

Amazon.com: Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen USB Audio Interface for Guitarists, Vocalists, Podcasters or Producers to record and playback studio quality sound : Focusrite: Everything Else

This may be a stupid question as well, but I claim extreme ignorance of the subject: Do I need to have this hooked up to a computer when I record? Or can I take it places and download the info when I get home?

No stupid questions. 

Yes, this is what's referred to as an audio interface - it connects via USB to a computer and is intended to be used with a DAW (digital audio workstation) like Apple's Logic or Pro Tools. 

There are certainly remote recorders that you can use, and then load those audio files directly into a DAW, but that would probably be a bit cumbersome and you'd lose the ability to manipulate and tweak the audio to the degree that you have when you record directly into the interface.  Something like this would work for that kind of recording: https://www.amazon.com/Zoom-H1essential-Accessibility-Microphones-Microphone/dp/B0CSL4PXDV/ref=zg_bs_g_486500011_d_sccl_2/137-8260690-3196056?psc=1.

• stepee 1
  • Halal 1

I have taken up slowly learning the piano late in life. I am bad at it. Two hands doing different things is fucking rough. But, I am enjoying it all the same!

Also, sheet music notation is a fucking abomination that should have been refactored ages ago. JFC. 

• stepee 1

I use something similar to that focusrite but it’s an audiovox - I thought when I got my macbook and switched to recording direct to garageband that I would need a new one as it’s old af and doesn’t have usbc but a little adapter and it works just fine.

I really like how compact it is to have a preamp hooked up to a laptop to just play whenever you want and be loud in an apt. Also I’m thinking of checking out the new logic soon to see what those AI features are about

13 hours ago, legend said:

I have taken up slowly learning the piano late in life. I am bad at it. Two hands doing different things is fucking rough. But, I am enjoying it all the same!

Also, sheet music notation is a fucking abomination that should have been refactored ages ago. JFC. 

It was refactored ages ago… into what it is now! You should see the unintelligible scribbles the composers of old made when writing their masterpieces. 

Piano was my first instrument. Since I was 5 years old. My mom was a piano teacher. My dad is a wizard on the piano. So is my youngest brother. He’s also an organ prodigy. 

If you learn sheet music it just makes sense. I had a keyboard class in college and with practice it makes sense. Then my friend got me a guitar and tabs make no sense to me. But if I saw the actual notes it would make sense. (Like playing a Bach song or something)

• stepee 1