What is this sorcery? 30 to 60fps frame gen gets closer to viable (update: DF takes a look)

Lossless Scaling's newest update is nuts.  I bought in ($7) after reading about it.

It's not perfect at low base framerates.  I can occasionally see ghosting around my character as the camera spins, warping near the bottom of the screen, or heavier artifacts depending on the game.  It does this thing where certain elements it can't seem to perfectly interpolate feel like they update at a reduced rate.  And input lag definitely feels like 30fps, no solution there.  Needing to run in borderless fullscreen likely doesn't help.

But on a handheld or old PC (like my 1060 vintage), this is potentially game changing for certain titles.  I use Nvidia Control Panel to put games at 30fps, then scale up to 60fps with LSFG 2.0.  Motion blur options in games also help reduce artifacting I find.

It's really the games with 30fps locks that this has the best use case for, at least for low fps gaming.  I've tried Okami, its wild how much more bearable it makes the game now.  I was just complaining about Nuclear Throne not having a 60fps option on PC.  It works pretty great with 2d games too, not as clean as a genuine 60fps, but very close, and much preferred to 30fps, which is the point.  It should work in emulators too.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, saw this a while back, seems nuts. Gonna try it out sometime soon. I have some reservations because I really dislike the artifacting that frame gen can introduce, especially around UI/text, but that's generally on games that are already high FPS. If it can take something from "I'm probably not gonna play this" to "I'm playing this" that's a huge win.

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

Yeah, saw this a while back, seems nuts. Gonna try it out sometime soon. I have some reservations because I really dislike the artifacting that frame gen can introduce, especially around UI/text, but that's generally on games that are already high FPS. If it can take something from "I'm probably not gonna play this" to "I'm playing this" that's a huge win.

The recent update has apparently cleaned up most all the UI/text artifacting.  I still see some around cursors in some games, but they have some options to mitigate it.  It's more the other artifacting that is problematic, especially some bottom of the screen issues in 3rd person games.  I suspect games with less than perfect frame pacing will also struggle a bit.

I don't have a VRS display, so 30 to 60fps is the only use case for me.  I bought it mainly to play Okami, wasn't disappointed. 

I’m noticing that with 30fps games, more visual noise tends to help.  Anything with motion blur, heavy post-processing, racing games, etc.  You’re more likely to see distracting (ie: blocky) frame gen artifacting when you have movement against (relatively) solid colors or patterns.  The ghosting is mostly pretty marginal by comparison, but you can see it if you look out for it.

Tried a few games on Dolphin.  Wind Waker got very distracting with all the breakup.  Wave Race Blue Storm looks absolutely stunning though.  Skies of Arcadia was somewhere in between with its artifacting, but damn does it feel great to finally run around in that game at a pseudo-60.  It’s all about your tolerance I suppose, but it could be good in RPGs.  I hear FFX’s PC port also doesn’t run at 60fps?

It's only kind of related, but I do wonder if that N64 game recompiler will become viable for other platforms. What if we started getting native PC versions of PS1 games, PS2 and PS3 games? If it's flexible enough it could be insane. Hell, could recompile bad PC ports to better versions! But I have no idea if it's even possible for anything outside of N64, but I can't immediately think of why it wouldn't be.

Finally had a chance to try this out. It really is like black magic! It's not absolutely perfect or anything, but man it can REALLY improve some games. I've considered Road Not Taken basically unplayable since launch, because despite it's excellent art style, it just looks like trash locked at 30 FPS. Turning frame gen on, it finally has a nice smooth look to it that really helps the art style shine. I can actually see the characters as they move, instead of them turning into shitty blurs!

• Halal 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • crispy4000 changed the title to What is this sorcery? 30 to 60fps frame gen gets closer to viable (update: DF takes a look)

Interesting that they found NVIDIA’s limiter doesn’t actually give a smooth result.  I think I’ve noticed it somewhat in the testing I did.  I should finally install Special K and give it a shot on Okami again.

It was pretty obvious it'd have more artifacting, without motion vectors and the like.  But yeah, older 3d games played with a controller seems to be the best use case.  60 to 120 is ideal, but it was suprising to hear he thought some 30 -> 60 games were passable to him.

I still want to give FFX a try at some point with this.

• stepee 1