Update (05/15): Microsoft's multiplatform initiative has an internal codename - "Latitude"

I've never thought that Microsoft's leadership loved the idea of Xbox hardware or exclusives. They were convinced it was what they had to do to compete in the space, but it's been half hearted since the beginning.

Even though I'm happy enough not having to buy so many consoles, I do feel like it will be a loss for gaming if MS does end up killing Xbox as a hardware platform, either accidentally or as a part of a new strategy.

22 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I do feel like it will be a loss for gaming if MS does end up killing Xbox as a hardware platform, either accidentally or as a part of a new strategy.

Same here. Xbox has been my preferred Platform since the OG Xbox despite me being a multi-console owner. Them just existing forced Sony and Nintendo to do a lot of things they probably wouldn't have or would have done a lot later if left to their own devices. I think we NEED a western console developer to keep those guys moving forward over there and if it's not MS anymore, hopefully someone else will jump in although that's unlikely I'd say.

• Halal 2

11 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I think we NEED a western console developer to keep those guys moving forward over there and if it's not MS anymore, hopefully someone else will jump in although that's unlikely I'd say.

If Microsoft -- a company with a $3.2 trillion market capitalization -- couldn't establish itself as a viable console hardware competitor, then there isn't a single company on the planet that will even remotely consider doing so.

• Halal 1

12 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

If Microsoft -- a company with a $3.2 trillion market capitalization -- couldn't establish itself as a viable console hardware competitor, then there isn't a single company on the planet that will even remotely consider doing so.

Thing is Microsoft DID in the PS360 era. They've just made a bunch of mistakes that cost them a ton of goodwill since. The other companies that are interested in gaming don't seem to be interested in console gaming. Netflix and Apple come to mind.

• Halal 1

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

Thing is Microsoft DID in the PS360 era. They've just made a bunch of mistakes that cost them a ton of goodwill since. The other companies that are interested in gaming don't seem to be interested in console gaming. Netflix and Apple come to mind.

Also, Microsoft doesn't need Xbox. So even if the Xbox and 360 did well, having a few bad results in a row can easily sour execs/shareholders on leaving the business. A company like Nintendo, on the other hand, is basically reliant on being a console maker, so there is more incentive to take a few punches, make changes, and stick with it. Obviously the primary issue is that there is a limited market for a "traditional" console (i.e. just a computer that sits next to your TV) and both MS and Sony have to compete for that. Nintendo does its own thing with Switch, or at least tries to make new markets. There's no reason MS couldn't try the same thing, but it's a much bigger financial gamble for a company that can just as easily leave the business and not care.

Having only Sony and Nintendo left in the industry would certainly be interesting.

• Halal 1

8 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

We've always had at least three console makers, sometimes as many as four or five. Going down to two doesn't seem like it's going to be good for us... the consumers.

Maybe Elon Musk will launch a console. Except probably can't since using X is already taken by Xbox.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I've never thought that Microsoft's leadership loved the idea of Xbox hardware or exclusives. They were convinced it was what they had to do to compete in the space, but it's been half hearted since the beginning.

If Xbox was supposedly half hearted, you have to wonder what the hell happened with the PC store over the years.  All the spoils to Valve.  They gave no shits, until, d'oh.

Xbox on the other hand was a ticket to selling subscriptions from the time Xbox LIVE was first introduced.  I think that's the biggest reason they stuck to it, 360’s retail success aside.

In his recent interview with Kyle Bosman, Circana's Mat Piscatella said that their data indicates that 92% of Generation Alpha plays their games on mobile devices.

92%.

That in and of itself is more than enough reason for Samsung, Apple, Amazon, Netflix, etc. to not even bother considering investing in the R&D necessary to develop a dedicated console.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

In his recent interview with Kyle Bosman, Circana's Mat Piscatella said that their data indicates that 92% of Generation Alpha plays their games on mobile devices.

92%.

That in and of itself is more than enough reason for Samsung, Apple, Amazon, Netflix, etc. to not even bother considering investing in the R&D necessary to develop a dedicated console.

This makes me think gaming will really die in 10yr except for some derivative ai made phone games that kill time.

1 hour ago, Dodger said:

They have to at least try to put CoD on GP to see if it moves the needle at all. They can always pivot later if it doesn't work out. 

They can walk back things to make them better, but not substantially worse and piss everyone off.

So if they want to try a new Call of Duty tier of Games Pass out of fear of lost revenue, now is the time. 

2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

92%.

Generation Alpha?

1 hour ago, Dodger said:

They have to at least try to put CoD on GP to see if it moves the needle at all. They can always pivot later if it doesn't work out. 

11 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

They can walk back things to make them better, but not substantially worse and piss everyone off.

So if they want to try a new Call of Duty tier of Games Pass out of fear of lost revenue, now is the time. 

Apparently the next COD WILL be on GP Day One.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Apparently the next COD WILL be on GP Day One.

In what form?  That’s the question. The rumor is new tiers along with price hikes.

To be fair, there’s been so many rumors of internal strife at MS lately, I bet even the leakers are struggling to separate fact from fiction.

3 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

92%.

Is 99% of that Roblox?

Also every kid has a mobile device now, and even cheap hardware can play the free behaviorally-manipulative, ADHD-inducing games on the storefronts, which pairs "well" with the hyperbolized videos (and marketing of said videos) on Youtube and Tiktok.

• Halal 2

• 1 month later...
WWW.VIDEOGAMESCHRONICLE.COM

“Is the team the same team that shipped something successful previously?

“I think the thing to be considered is that for us it’s as much a forward-looking situation as much as it is looking back at one certain game.

“There are a lot of things that go into success for a game – what leadership do you have, what creative leadership do you have, is the team the same team that shipped something successful previously?

Implying since Shinji left, the studio lost its value. Executives clearly did not rate Hi Fi Rush. Now it makes more sense why Xbox basically announced and released it same day. 

Microsoft has a few underperforming studios, 343 being the top, that somehow get opportunity after opportunity to make another game. Fuck Booty 

32 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Maybe, you know, hire another project lead.  Or support someone else within the team moving up.  Instead of killing it all.

Not possible! How can someone do what someone else did! We are the best at the top!

1 hour ago, Dodger said:

MS needs to stop trying to make Halo a current thing and realize it’s time has passed and move onto something else 

I'd welcome something new from 343.  But I also think any once-popular FPS franchise can be a current thing without enough time, resources and talent thrown at it.  Especially the 'cinematic' ones.

If Halo was an action sports game or shump or something, then yes, out of vogue.

1 minute ago, SuperSpreader said:

That's what COD is for

And Doom.

14 hours ago, Best said:

I really enjoyed 343's Halo Infinite. It was maybe my favorite sp Halo game so I'm still a big fan. But apparently I'm in the minority. 

I played a few MP matches when it came out and was fun, I was always top 3. It was too easy to clown on some fools, which has always been Halo's issue for me.

• Hype 1

5 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

I played a few MP matches when it came out and was fun, I was always top 3. It was too easy to clown on some fools, which has always been Halo's issue for me.

I'm just not into mp at all anymore. I did attempt to try Infinite's online and it was solid for what it offered. I did want the coop implemented at launch so my nephew and I could have beaten the campaign together. 

15 hours ago, Best said:

I really enjoyed 343's Halo Infinite. It was maybe my favorite sp Halo game so I'm still a big fan. But apparently I'm in the minority. 

I almost play it daily for the multiplayer. I love the multiplayer in this and the special abilities/devices have been great. I use to be all about the Grapple Hook but I now ditch it in multiplayer for the Repulsor. Holy shit you can pull off some great kills/moves with the thing. Great for the newest Firefight modes they added, but gotta go back and finish the single player game. Keep holding back, hoping my friends will buy the game and play like the old days.

• Hype 1

7 minutes ago, silentbob said:

I almost play it daily for the multiplayer. I love the multiplayer in this and the special abilities/devices have been great. I use to be all about the Grapple Hook but I now ditch it in multiplayer for the Repulsor. Holy shit you can pull off some great kills/moves with the thing. Great for the newest Firefight modes they added, but gotta go back and finish the single player game. Keep holding back, hoping my friends will buy the game and play like the old days.

Has online coop been added?

44 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

It was added at the end of 2022. It's silly how many people still ask this. I guess they didn't relay the information very well.

I never read up on it but online coop for this game makes it one of the very best Halo games ever made. 

2 hours ago, silentbob said:

I loved Super Fiesta but now it’s not in the rotation. What’s the mode most like that or which mode are most of the player base playing?

EDIT: Found Fiesta in the Quick Play menu 

21 hours ago, Dodger said:

MS needs to stop trying to make Halo a current thing and realize it’s time has passed and move onto something else 

Moving on to something else would be absolutely wrong conclusion to draw from it it not being the "current thing." The conclusion is to stop trying to make Halo cash in on the design of whatever the current "thing" is. Instead let the developers focus on making it unique and lean into things that are unique to the style of play of the franchise. This happens to be the best way to make it "the thing" again, but even if it doesn't, you'll still end up with a good game that will have a dedicated base and garner good will in general.

19 hours ago, Best said:

I'm plausibly the biggest Halo fan on this board and almost certainly the biggest old-school Bungie fan. While I wouldn't rank Infinite's SP at the top of the series, it was still fantastic and the first SP Halo game 343 made that can confidently call itself Halo.

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, Biggie said:

I loved Super Fiesta but now it’s not in the rotation. What’s the mode most like that or which mode are most of the player base playing?

EDIT: Found Fiesta in the Quick Play menu 

They also have a Firefight Fiesta Gruntpocolypse mode as well, but not as fun cause you don’t wanna die. You can now set the search for this mode n the gameplay’s sub menu. Although the best fiesta and sometimes the most fucking frustrating mode is HUSKY RAID. It’s a CTF/Fiesta mode that will either end quickly or become a great back and forth overtime game.