Megalopolis - Francis Ford Coppola's 40-Year Passion Project - update (05/16): reviews from Cannes posted

• 2 months later...

It's pretty hilarious to open a trailer with "some reviewers hated these classic movies," though I must say that it falls pretty flat in this case. It's not like The Godfather or Apocalypse Now went unacknowledged at their release. The Godfather won Best Picture and Apocalypse was nominated. Ebert called Apocalypse his favorite film of the year.

I just looked and was kind of surprised that tickets aren't on sale at AMC yet. Let me reserve my IMAX seat!

• Hype 1

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

It's pretty hilarious to open a trailer with "some reviewers hated these classic movies," though I must say that it falls pretty flat in this case. It's not like The Godfather or Apocalypse Now went unacknowledged at their release. The Godfather won Best Picture and Apocalypse was nominated. Ebert called Apocalypse his favorite film of the year.

I just looked and was kind of surprised that tickets aren't on sale at AMC yet. Let me reserve my IMAX seat!

Part of the reason it falls flat is that apparently the quotes are fake

VARIETY.COM

The new "Megalopolis" trailer quotes harsh reviews from famed film critics — but the cited phrases can't be sourced back to any of them.

which is hilarious. They had to know those were going to be checked immediately. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I am SO here for this bullshit :lol: Coppola is so up his own ass but at least his pretentiousness is worth watching. He's good even when he's bad.

Yup. It might be an absolute disaster, but at least he's trying! I'll be watching it.

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Holy SHIT they got a lot of stuff wrong... especially Siskel. Pretty sure he TORCHED The Matrix.

I'm pretty positive both of them trashed Empire Strikes Back. 

5 hours ago, Air_Delivery said:

I'd take weird shit over another fucking Marvel movie any day.

Imagine the reviews for Brazil if it was released today.

My thoughts exactly. Doesn't mean this will be good but I'm game for interesting and different, especially these days.