Star Wars: The Acolyte (Disney+), update (08/19): RIP in Peace

I will say for a brief moment in the first episode I thought maybe they were going to give Osha dissociative personality disorder, where we would be made to think Mae could still be alive, but it has been Osha the whole time. Either because a Mae never really existed in her own in the first place or a personality of Mae within Osha developed as a way of dealing with the grief of losing her sister. Or maybe it was really Osha that died this while time and Mae is the real personality. Ideally with any kind of reveal not happening for most of the season. But seeing the directing and writing so far I do not think this show could pull off that level of a misdirect. The show barely even allowed the audience to think Osha did it for more than a few minutes. 

the show currently makes me wonder if they will be making Mae and Osha a manufactured Force dyad, like what supposedly Ray and Ben were. Which then makes me worry they use this show as some kind of precursor where the sith learn of this and the idea of studying to create their own force born chosen one, and thus the events and revelations in this show directly tie to the creation and birth of Anakin. I will be quite annoyed if something like this happens. 

17 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

the show currently makes me wonder if they will be making Mae and Osha a manufactured Force dyad, like what supposedly Ray and Ben were. Which then makes me worry they use this show as some kind of precursor where the sith learn of this and the idea of studying to create their own force born chosen one, and thus the events and revelations in this show directly tie to the creation and birth of Anakin. I will be quite annoyed if something like this happens. 

Some of this seems likely, which shouldn't be surprising as almost all of the TV content since Rise of Skywalker has tried to address the stuff from that movie in some way. Bad Batch does it, The Mandalorian does it, Ahsoka certainly seems like it's going to do it and has hinted at it, it's very reasonable to assume this show will do something about it, too.

That said I am PRETTY sure that canon in comics and such have confirmed that Anakin is NOT a Sith creation and he just kinda came to be via the Force to bring balance. Again I'm not up on this, but the reason that Sheev needed to study cloning and cloning Force sensitives specifically was because the Dark Side CANNOT be used to make life? But the Nightsisters magick was connected to the Dark Side, so who knows if the coven from this show uses the Force in the same way.

9 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Some of this seems likely, which shouldn't be surprising as almost all of the TV content since Rise of Skywalker has tried to address the stuff from that movie in some way. Bad Batch does it, The Mandalorian does it, Ahsoka certainly seems like it's going to do it and has hinted at it, it's very reasonable to assume this show will do something about it, too.

That said I am PRETTY sure that canon in comics and such have confirmed that Anakin is NOT a Sith creation and he just kinda came to be via the Force to bring balance. Again I'm not up on this, but the reason that Sheev needed to study cloning and cloning Force sensitives specifically was because the Dark Side CANNOT be used to make life? But the Nightsisters magick was connected to the Dark Side, so who knows if the coven from this show uses the Force in the same way.

I think read or heard somewhere that the last attempt to address it was Palpatine and his master tried, it failed or blew up in their face. Essentially the force itself pushed back and as a result of such a strong surge of darkside power the force itself created Anakin elsewhere. Palpatine not realizing it until years later when he meets anakin in Naboo for the first time. 

but who knows that could be legends or have been retconned by something else, or something else unrelated. 

46 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I think read or heard somewhere that the last attempt to address it was Palpatine and his master tried, it failed or blew up in their face. Essentially the force itself pushed back and as a result of such a strong surge of darkside power the force itself created Anakin elsewhere. Palpatine not realizing it until years later when he meets anakin in Naboo for the first time. 

but who knows that could be legends or have been retconned by something else, or something else unrelated. 

Yeah I can't remember the specifics for it either or which part is canon / legends. I read the Vader comics (which I thought were good) and some of the other ones that took place in the OT before they ramped up how many were being published and I lost interest in keeping track.

On 6/19/2024 at 7:29 AM, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

really though my biggest issue with the show is the final scene in episode 1. It had such, college fan-film, emo, edge lord energy to it. An evil monolog only for us and a lightsaber ignition just so we go “omg it’s a sith!!!!!”  Say what we will about George Lucas as a director and the quality of the prequels, but the quiet scene between Maul and Sidious in Episode 1 was a far better type of scene to this one. I would have actually had more respect for the scene if as soon as the lightsaber ignited there was an on screen link to the “Star Wars Acolyte Sith Master” action figure to buy. 

On 6/7/2024 at 1:24 PM, GeneticBlueprint said:

But that bit at the end of the first episode with his terrible dialog combined with turning on his lightsaber for nobody was very cringe. Like something some nerd would have recorded and put on the Internet in 1998.

The worst

I don’t know how they could have made the first four episodes less interesting. Killing Kelnacca offscreen seems like a huge opportunity lost. 

This show really feels like what a film student might make if given access to hundreds of millions of dollars and really good Hollywood costumes/sets/CGI. 

The only discussion we’re having is whether Venestra Rwoh or Qimir might be the Sith Lord. 

For as much as I dunked on things like The Flash I still enjoyed the show. I genuinely can't tell if some of y'all are enjoying this at all? And if you're not why watch it? There's so much content out there I don't understand why anyone would stick with something brand new that they're not vibing with. If someone's invested the time in something like The Mandalorian but feels that it's fallen off, I can appreciate wanting to wait until the end of the ride to get off. But here? I can even understand a hate watch; I sat through what felt like 4 months of the Snyder cut. This doesn't feel like that, either. 

4 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Wait why did she decide to be good now? 

It's wild that after spending as much time as they have on table setting, this just comes out of the blue with no clear indication about why she's change.

23 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

For as much as I dunked on things like The Flash I still enjoyed the show. I genuinely can't tell if some of y'all are enjoying this at all? And if you're not why watch it? There's so much content out there I don't understand why anyone would stick with something brand new that they're not vibing with. If someone's invested the time in something like The Mandalorian but feels that it's fallen off, I can appreciate wanting to wait until the end of the ride to get off. But here? I can even understand a hate watch; I sat through what felt like 4 months of the Snyder cut. This doesn't feel like that, either. 

I think we all just desperately want to have good star wars and watch on the small hope it turns out good in the end.

Personally, I wouldn't say this is bad so much as it's mediocre.

31 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

This show really feels like what a film student might make if given access to hundreds of millions of dollars and really good Hollywood costumes/sets/CGI. 

yeah, a lot of the casting feelings like “you get what you pay for” in terms of acting too. Though so much of the show looks like it was filmed with stuff you could buy in Galaxy’s Edge gift shops. Which I tried not to hold against it too much as it is a show and not a movie. If there is “hundreds of millions” being spent on this show, I do not see where it all went. 

37 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

for me I am not, not enjoying it enough to drop it. This is true for much of Star Wars with me I think. There’s just enough on screen and “between the scenes” so to speak that I tend to find something about it I liked and felt it contributed to the larger Star Wars world of stories. Sometimes it is just a case of a good story told poorly. Sometimes by the end it isnt and I move on, not likely to return to that specific entry. I like Star Wars as a whole enough to give it chance to see where it goes. I am not hate watching like people who think Disney is and has been incapable of making good Star Wars.

At the very least there are characters whose fate I do not know. i mean yes they are all dead before by the rise of the Empire, but I do not know if their death was a peaceful one at the end of a long life or a violent death that cut their life short. So even with the stakes low for the galaxy, the personal stakes for the characters may be high. So that is at least more interesting than some shows *cough*Kenobi*cough*

25 minutes ago, legend said:

It's wild that after spending as much time as they have on table setting, this just comes out of the blue with no clear indication about why she's change.

I think we all just desperately want to have good star wars and watch on the small hope it turns out good in the end.

Personally, I wouldn't say this is bad so much as it's mediocre.

yeah the turn feels unearned. There was a part of me thinking she was playing some 4D chess to get the alchemist kid to reveal himself as being much more, but it did not appear she was doing using a ploy and the writing doesn’t seem that smart to characterize anyone with much depth. If she truly was going to flip that easily then her convictions are extremely weak and she suddenly is much less interesting as a character. What, she doesn’t even want revenge for her mother and the rest if the coven? 

this feels like a bait and switch, like Battlefront 2’s campaign where our hardline, special ops, rebel killing Imperial suddenly and immediately is given a reason to betray the Empire and become good, because heaven forbid we follow as a bad guy for more than 5 minutes.  

• stepee 1

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

There might be a bit of hate watching going on for me for sure. But Star Wars is also my favorite sandbox. There are a few turds in here unfortunately. 

That being said it really feels like the production quality goes up each episode even if the writing and acting are consistently left wanting. 

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

people love hate watching star wars 

the end of that episode was fucking awesome but people love complaining more 

• True 1
  • Wrong 1

37 minutes ago, johnny said:

Or it wasn't awesome and we have legitimate criticisms of the show, but if you think charging a dark side force user in a straight line is "awesome" as opposed to tactically stupid, then you have no floor and can pretty much enjoy anything which means you have no barometer to tell whether this is good or bad. But sure, shit on us because we just love hate watching Star Wars. :rolleyes: Treating us like your average Reddit user (who does just love hate watching Star Wars and hates on it because they are an incel chud) does us a disservice.

2 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

yeah, a lot of the casting feelings like “you get what you pay for” in terms of acting too. Though so much of the show looks like it was filmed with stuff you could buy in Galaxy’s Edge gift shops. Which I tried not to hold against it too much as it is a show and not a movie. If there is “hundreds of millions” being spent on this show, I do not see where it all went. 

I'm not sure it is fair to judge the acting, because I don't think they have very much to work with.

I can see where the money went.  There are a tremendous amount of sets. 

1 hour ago, johnny said:

people love hate watching star wars 

Your definition of awesome is different than mine.

1 hour ago, johnny said:

i will! 

“tactically stupid”

this your first star war? 

Unless you've missed this entire thread, I've addressed this. The Acolyte's flaws are magnified by its problems. When we see tactically stupid shit elsewhere in Star Wars, sometimes it can easily be ignored (like super star destroyer in the OT getting destroyed or the bombs dropping in TLJ) or it can come off as blatantly bad, like here or the greaser bikers in Book of Boba Fett. It's a fairly poor criticism and disingenuous to go: "because tactically stupid stuff happens elsewhere in Star Wars means it can't be a criticism here". There's a reason that the OT and PT both have stupid shit in them but in the OT it all works and in the PT almost none of it works. The same case can be made here.

Also, pretty bizarre to enjoy shitting on your fellow users here. Not sure how that's a good thing or helpful to debate and conversation even though I'd already addressed how many of us here aren't here to just hate watch Star Wars. I wouldn't waste my time doing that, so for you to reinforce that stereotype on us seems stupid to me.

36 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Unless you've missed this entire thread, I've addressed this. The Acolyte's flaws are magnified by its problems. When we see tactically stupid shit elsewhere in Star Wars, sometimes it can easily be ignored (like super star destroyer in the OT getting destroyed or the bombs dropping in TLJ) or it can come off as blatantly bad, like here or the greaser bikers in Book of Boba Fett. It's a fairly poor criticism and disingenuous to go: "because tactically stupid stuff happens elsewhere in Star Wars means it can't be a criticism here". There's a reason that the OT and PT both have stupid shit in them but in the OT it all works and in the PT almost none of it works. The same case can be made here.

Also, pretty bizarre to enjoy shitting on your fellow users here. Not sure how that's a good thing or helpful to debate and conversation even though I'd already addressed how many of us here aren't here to just hate watch Star Wars. I wouldn't waste my time doing that, so for you to reinforce that stereotype on us seems stupid to me.

i’ve said before i think some of you should stop watching because you clearly don’t enjoy it 🤷‍♂️ it’s okay to dislike something. just doesn’t make any sense to me to keep watching. i have a couple friends who liked star wars and they stopped watching mando, never watched boba fett or ahsoka, aren’t watching this, but they did watch andor. They didn’t like the other shows and stopped watching. Andor is awesome and they watched that after hearing about it. 

i can’t stop yall from watching and i guess yall can keep hoping you’ll eventually like it even though it’s been years and some of you (not specifically talking about you) have hated (or to be nicer we can say disliked) almost everything. 

i know a lot of yall have been watching star wars your whole lives and don’t want to give up but maybe some of you should 🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, johnny said:

i’ve said before i think some of you should stop watching because you clearly don’t enjoy it 🤷‍♂️ it’s okay to dislike something. just doesn’t make any sense to me to keep watching. i have a couple friends who liked star wars and they stopped watching mando, never watched boba fett or ahsoka, aren’t watching this, but they did watch andor. They didn’t like the other shows and stopped watching. Andor is awesome and they watched that after hearing about it. 

i can’t stop yall from watching and i guess yall can keep hoping you’ll eventually like it even though it’s been years and some of you (not specifically talking about you) have hated (or to be nicer we can say disliked) almost everything. 

i know a lot of yall have been watching star wars your whole lives and don’t want to give up but maybe some of you should 🤷‍♂️

I won't disagree that if you haven't liked most of Star Wars since Disney got the property then yes, it may be time for you to give up on Star Wars. But I like Star Wars: Tales, Star Wars: Visions, the first two seasons of Mandolorian, Andor, etc. I defend TLJ all the time. I've liked plenty of new Star Wars stuff and The Acolyte remains middling regardless of where a person falls on the spectrum as a Star Wars fan broadly. I don't think it's unreasonable to be critical of some new Star Wars while also liking some new Star Wars. To say otherwise means new Star Wars is immune to all criticism, which is ridiculous.

Maybe, just maybe, The Acolyte isn't very good, and you're being too generous in this instance rather than the rest of us all being unreasonable in our criticisms of it. 

3 hours ago, johnny said:

Andor is pretty universally well received here. A lot of the users (self included) liked at least a large chunk of Mando. Many here liked TLJ, a lot liked Rogue One. Rebels, Bad Batch, etc.

I don't think many, if not any, people here who are willing to watch Acolyte have completely disliked all recent Star Wars media. You can't take people being critical of various entries -- even ones they like -- as evidence that everyone here being critical just hates all recent star wars. 

6 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Maybe, just maybe, The Acolyte isn't very good, and you're being too generous in this instance rather than the rest of us all being unreasonable in our criticisms of it. 

At this point I would not say The Acolyte is very good. I think it's fine to good so far, and certainly not bad. I will say I think the only real weakness of the show aside from the acting from the kiddos is, as someone who can and does enjoy episodic TV, is that the core conceit of the show hasn't materialized which IS weird given we're halfway through the season. Boba Fett is probably the weakest of the D+ shows and even it had showed its ass much earlier on than this has. The Mandalorian is kinda like that in the last season; the most pressing stakes for the characters had generally been resolved a couple seasons before (Din and Grogu were officially made a family, but it's clear that Din prioritized Grogu over his code well before that). So it "coasting" is fine... for me, at least. The Acolyte hasn't "earned" that so this season does feel rudderless so far.

But I am going to die on the hill that pointing out that space fires don't make sense, that a prisoner wasn't well guarded, that the Jedi are derping, etc., is like picking up a Superman comic in 2024 where Lois doesn't realize Superman's secret identity yet and whinging that she's dumb for getting fooled by a pair of glasses. Yeah some Superman mags are going to be better written than others, or drawn better, and that stuff does help carry some water. But at some point you're sitting down to play cards and lamenting that you have to ante up.

And saying something like the props look like they're for sale at Galaxy's Edge... no. Again as someone who watched a lot of CW stuff there's really no comparison between the props or the obvious cost savings that those shows employed. Again no shots, you gotta do whatever needs to be done to keep something on the air for 20+ episodes a season. But there is simply nothing in The Acolyte, or any of the D+ Star Wars shows, that comes even remotely close to the cheapness of the time vault, its respective hallway, the start of the Justice League meeting in a more or less empty hangar, etc.

Snart.jpg

I mean... come on now. And I say this with fondness, I loved a bunch of those shows.

Whether or not The Acolyte looks like it cost ~$10M an episode is another thing entirely and I'm not going to pretend I'm educated enough to know if that passes a sniff test. Dial of Destiny allegedly cost $350M to make and while it's no slouch I'll be goddamned if I can explain where the better part of half a billion dollars went.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

At this point I would not say The Acolyte is very good. I think it's fine to good so far, and certainly not bad. I will say I think the only real weakness of the show aside from the acting from the kiddos is, as someone who can and does enjoy episodic TV, is that the core conceit of the show hasn't materialized which IS weird given we're halfway through the season. Boba Fett is probably the weakest of the D+ shows and even it had showed its ass much earlier on than this has. The Mandalorian is kinda like that in the last season; the most pressing stakes for the characters had generally been resolved a couple seasons before (Din and Grogu were officially made a family, but it's clear that Din prioritized Grogu over his code well before that). So it "coasting" is fine... for me, at least. The Acolyte hasn't "earned" that so this season does feel rudderless so far.

Honestly it sounds like we agree about the show - everything you said is well put. I just think you're being nicer about it than I am. Saying the show is "fine to good so far" is damning with faint praise to me, which seems to be the only difference between us here. I think none of us are lamenting that stupid shit is going to happen in Star Wars, but how well its papered over matters, doesn't it?

8 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Honestly it sounds like we agree about the show - everything you said is well put. I just think you're being nicer about it than I am. Saying the show is "fine to good so far" is damning with faint praise to me, which seems to be the only difference between us here. I think none of us are lamenting that stupid shit is going to happen in Star Wars, but how well its papered over matters, doesn't it?

I honestly don't know. My inclination is to believe that there's absolutely nothing objective about said papering, it's all too personal.

When I think about what I believe to be the silliest moment in a Star Wars movie that I genuinely think is very good (and love regardless) it's Leia yeeting her way back to the ship in TLJ. Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut is that REALLY more of a stretch than an entire scene where Han, Leia, and Chewie are inside a space worm without realizing it, their eyes are open in the vacuum of space, where there's gravity for some reason, etc., etc., etc. It's the rule of cool but I think everyone has their own litmus test for what cool is.

Again that's not to say that something overall being "good" doesn't help; it does. And the opposite applies as well. But I maintain that if you Men In Black'd yourself and saw Star Wars for the first time at however old we are today, we'd be eye rolling at a bunch of shit regardless of how generally well crafted the movie is. Obi-Wan scares off Sandpeople by flailing his arms around and mouth farting, it's ridiculous. :p

Everything is always relative.  Is it "better" than most of the schlock on broadcast TV?  Yes.

Is it "worse" than most of the high profile/budget shows on streaming services.  Absolutely.

Is it the "worst" Star Wars since TLJ.  So far, probably.

On Star Wars "physics".  This clearly is not "in our universe".  We have "The Force".  We have space stations as big as moons that can travel faster than light.  We have artificial gravity oin space ships.  We have giant whales that can travel faster than light.  We have virgin births.  We have intelligent droids with advanced AI, but computer monitors are stuck in the 70s.  This is a space fantasy world with its own unique rules. 

14 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Everything is always relative.  Is it "better" than most of the schlock on broadcast TV?  Yes.

Is it "worse" than most of the high profile/budget shows on streaming services.  Absolutely.

Is it the "worst" Star Wars since TLJ.  So far, probably.

I'm mostly with you on the first two bullets. But there is no way this is worse than TRoS :p 

29 minutes ago, legend said:

I'm mostly with you on the first two bullets. But there is no way this is worse than TRoS :p 

:shrug:  TROS had great action sequences.

1 minute ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

“since TLJ” lmao

A truly terrible movie on all levels.

• True 1

Booo. I want to see those sith eyes. 

anyways, episode 5

damn, I didn’t think they’d kill a child. Mae going back to full evil is nice too. Even tried to kill Osha. Or did I see that wrong? That wound on her side, was that a lightsaber stab or just a cut from the ground or whatever? 

am I thinking or getting the vibe though that he is not THE rule of 2 Sith in this era. But somebody who maybe stumbled across a Sith holocron or something. He seems both too young to have killed his own Sith master, and unless they are retconning the Grand Plan, he seems unaware of the thousand year old plan to amass power, kill all the Jedi and take over the Republic. He seems more like some self proclaimed wiccan girl who lives in an overly christian town that just wants to practice her fake witch magic in the woods in peace. 

I dunno. Maybe this will end with him drawing the attention of the true Sith master and getting absolutely wrecked. Per Legends at least Darth Plagues is alive, but only around 15 years of age at this point, so his master Darth Tenebrous would have been the Sith Master at this time. But they could also be establishing new cannon.

30 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Booo. I want to see those sith eyes. 

anyways, episode 5

Hide contents

damn, I didn’t think they’d kill a child. Mae going back to full evil is nice too. Even tried to kill Osha. Or did I see that wrong? That wound on her side, was that a lightsaber stab or just a cut from the ground or whatever? 

am I thinking or getting the vibe though that he is not THE rule of 2 Sith in this era. But somebody who maybe stumbled across a Sith holocron or something. He seems both too young to have killed his own Sith master, and unless they are retconning the Grand Plan, he seems unaware of the thousand year old plan to amass power, kill all the Jedi and take over the Republic. He seems more like some self proclaimed wiccan girl who lives in an overly christian town that just wants to practice her fake witch magic in the woods in peace. 

I dunno. Maybe this will end with him drawing the attention of the true Sith master and getting absolutely wrecked. Per Legends at least Darth Plagues is alive, but only around 15 years of age at this point, so his master Darth Tenebrous would have been the Sith Master at this time. But they could also be establishing new cannon.

Are we spoiler tagging current stuff?

Anyway, spoilers. 

This wouldn’t be the first time someone has called themselves Sith only for the “real” Sith to show up and say “lolno.” Besides, the fact that the Inquisitorius didn’t count as part of the Rule of Two seems to me that Sith is as much a vibe check as it is a real thing. 

Good episode though. Wild to see how willing this show is to discard half its cast, Jesus. If this wasn’t Star Wars I’d suspect that time travel or something would be involved. People on this show die as badly as they have in the whole on screen franchise. 

And for a show that seems like it’s still playing its raison detre close to the chest, I appreciate that it’s not wasting any time otherwise.