Star Wars: The Acolyte (Disney+), update (08/19): RIP in Peace

The Acolyte has been canceled and will not receive a season 2.

DEADLINE.COM

The story of The Acolyte will not continue, with LucasFilm opting not to proceed with Season 2 of the Star Wars offshoot starring Amandla Stenberg.

I didn't realize the viewership had been so mediocre, but I also didn't realize that they spent $180M on this show! That's so much more than I thought. $22.5M per episode is a good deal more than The Mandalorian ($15M) or even House of the Dragons ($20M).

Whatever Disney is doing with their Disney+ Originals budget has got to be reigned in. There aren't even any huge battle sequences or anything in this one, so it's kind of hard to see where all the money went.

I didn't love The Acolyte, but I'd have tuned in for a season 2. It's a shame that it's getting canceled because Disney can't make a TV show for less than a blockbuster movie.

• Hype 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Star Wars: The Acolyte (Disney+), update (08/19): RIP in Peace

disney spends so much on like all of their shows. it’s actually insane. i wanna know how much of the money is actually going toward what we see on screen, what’s going to producers and shit, and what’s just getting wasted. 22 mil per ep doesn’t make any sense lmao. 

And now for me the show is forgettably bad. The season was not good enough to stand on its own as it would have needed an unknown number of seasons to actually finish the story they were telling. I am not surprised. I hate the hubris of making some shows, movies, and games where they expect additional entries and so they don’t wrap up any story in a single entry. 

8 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

And now for me the show is forgettably bad. The season was not good enough to stand on its own as it would have needed an unknown number of seasons to actually finish the story they were telling. I am not surprised. I hate the hubris of making some shows, movies, and games where they expect additional entries and so they don’t wrap up any story in a single entry. 

Eh. Tell the story you wanna tell, there’s so much shit that may or may not happen. Unresolved cliffhangers are sometimes better than stuff that was planned to be one season then gets extended for financial reasons.

There weren’t any huge cliffhangers at the end of this series. Yes, it had hooks for a second season, but the main story was done. 

i would have been shocked if this had been renewed for a second season. It cost a ridiculous amount and was neither acclaimed (like Andor) nor popular. 

there’s multiple reasons why it got canceled, but the biggest issue to me is the cost of the show. that’s an astronomical budget considering what we got. if the show was cheaper to make (and i don’t see why it couldn’t be??) you can give it another season for the people who make it to improve on it. but since you’re looking at a 200 million dollar commitment (again, how???) disney is like ehhhhh let’s not. you can definitely say the showrunner could have done better but god damn disney loves to shoot itself in the foot these days. 

i hope manny jacinto pops up again he was my favorite part of the show. 

The Acolyte got off to a strong start when it launched June 4 with two episodes, generating 4.8M views in its first day on the streamer to rank as the biggest series premiere on Disney+ this year. The tally rose to 11.1 million views globally after five days of streaming. Corroborating Disney’s data, the series made its debut on Nielsen’s Top 10 originals chart in its premiere week at #7 (488 million minutes viewed), climbing to #6 the following week.

But The Acolyte could not sustain the momentum, dropping out of the Top 10 in Week 3 and staying off before returning after the release of the finale at #10 (335M minutes, believed to be the lowest for a Star Wars series finale).

I mean when you stretch out a movie’s worth of material over eight weeks and make all of that consist of confusing choices and bad writing delivered by mostly mediocre actors… that makes sense. 

11 hours ago, johnny said:

there’s multiple reasons why it got canceled, but the biggest issue to me is the cost of the show. that’s an astronomical budget considering what we got. if the show was cheaper to make (and i don’t see why it couldn’t be??) you can give it another season for the people who make it to improve on it. but since you’re looking at a 200 million dollar commitment (again, how???) disney is like ehhhhh let’s not. you can definitely say the showrunner could have done better but god damn disney loves to shoot itself in the foot these days. 

i hope manny jacinto pops up again he was my favorite part of the show. 

It speaks to the general competence of the people running Lucasfilm ATM.

• True 1

17 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

Money laundering. It's the only excuse for why budgets have become so bloated.

Or incompetence. With VFX heavy shows, if you have directors and producers who don't know how to manage that workflow, costs can balloon pretty damned fast and I suspect there's alot of that going on at Disney with their Marvel and Star Wars shows and even some of the movies. Shame it got cancelled, I dug it but I binged it and didn't watch it week to week. I wouldn't be surprised if they continued the story in the comics like they did with some of the thread Solo set up but didn't resolve because the sequels got canceled.