Trap - M. Night Shyamalan and Josh Hartnett - In Theaters Now!

I didn’t know they filmed this in Toronto, but I really liked the premise of the movie. So count me in for a viewing, maybe even at the theatre. I also hope they don’t release anything new trailer wise, and ruin anything.

• 3 months later...
  • TheLeon changed the title to Trap - M. Night Shyamalan and Josh Hartnett - In Theaters Now!

Loved it, although I’m in the camp that thinks M Night’s been delivering pretty consistently for a decade now, so grain of salt and all that. Hartnett is so much fun in this. It’s also great imagining Shyamalan coming up with this premise while taking his daughter to the Eras Tour (although from what I understand it was mostly written before that tour started). 

• stepee 1
  • Thanks 1

This was a weirdly uninteresting movie considering the premise, with many explanations given that made us feel like so what? Nothing seemed to actually matter, and nothing really happened.

The scene during the credits brought the house down, though.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/3/2024 at 7:25 PM, TheLeon said:

Loved it, although I’m in the camp that thinks M Night’s been delivering pretty consistently for a decade now, so grain of salt and all that. Hartnett is so much fun in this. It’s also great imagining Shyamalan coming up with this premise while taking his daughter to the Eras Tour (although from what I understand it was mostly written before that tour started). 

I don't know that I loved it, but I enjoyed this movie a good bit. The plot makes very little sense except in your typical "heightened reality" Shyamalan movie but once you get past how little sense any of the film makes I found it to be an incredibly entertaining time. Hartnett fucking killed it with his continually increasing off kilter performance and this thing escalates in ways you just don't think the movie will. A solid recommend, 7/10. I'm surprised, based on RT and IMDb, that people are more down on this movie than I expected given that it's a lot of fun. Knock at the Cabin was better, and both this movie and that one falter in the final 1/3, but still.

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

I don't know that I loved it, but I enjoyed this movie a good bit. The plot makes very little sense except in your typical "heightened reality" Shyamalan movie but once you get past how little sense any of the film makes I found it to be an incredibly entertaining time. Hartnett fucking killed it with his continually increasing off kilter performance and this thing escalates in ways you just don't think the movie will. A solid recommend, 7/10. I'm surprised, based on RT and IMDb, that people are more down on this movie than I expected given that it's a lot of fun. Knock at the Cabin was better, and both this movie and that one falter in the final 1/3, but still.

The sense I get from most people who didn’t like Trap is they think he was trying to make a taut, serious thriller and failed. You know, the movie based on the incredibly serious and realistic premise of setting up a massive manhunt for a murder suspect at a concert with 30,000 people? The entire thing is completely absurd. Night knows it, and the audience should know it when the very first person Hartnett talks to gives away the entire thing at like minute 10 of the movie. He cast Hayley Mills simply for the joke that she was in The Parent Trap, and this is a movie about… trapping a parent. It’s a deeply silly movie, and I think some people weren’t into that. Meanwhile, I had a big dumb grin on my face the entire time. 

• Haha 1
  • Halal 1

1 hour ago, TheLeon said:

The sense I get from most people who didn’t like Trap is they think he was trying to make a taut, serious thriller and failed. You know, the movie based on the incredibly serious and realistic premise of setting up a massive manhunt for a murder suspect at a concert with 30,000 people? The entire thing is completely absurd. Night knows it, and the audience should know it when the very first person Hartnett talks to gives away the entire thing at like minute 10 of the movie. He cast Hayley Mills simply for the joke that she was in The Parent Trap, and this is a movie about… trapping a parent. It’s a deeply silly movie, and I think some people weren’t into that. Meanwhile, I had a big dumb grin on my face the entire time. 

This was my take as well - the movie isn't serious like it's trying to be Unbreakable or something. It's trying to be a really fun time with a unique premise and killer acting and you get exactly that with this one. It's not like it's incompetently made or missing scenes or poorly edited or something. Yeah, I mean, his daughter did a great job with the music parts and not so great a job with the acting bits but you really have to miss the tone of this movie to not like it.