Unfrosted | Jerry Seinfeld's Directorial Debut Film About Cereal | Coming to Netflix May 3

I love Seinfeld (the show), I loved Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee, I love Jerry Seinfeld's stand-up specials, I saw him live once and it was great and Bee Movie sucked. With all that being said, I can't tell from that trailer (I usually don't watch trailers but was curious here) if this will be any good or not but I did enjoy the absolute absurdity of it all.

It's the same four writers (including Jerry Seinfeld) that wrote Bee Movie, so there's that . . . 

• 5 weeks later...

Jerry Seinfeld sounds really reactionary and out of touch in this interview, blaming the “radical left” for the lack of sitcoms. Doesn’t bode well for his new movie, not that I was expecting much in the first place.

3 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

What a shock that an insanely rich septuagenarian has an absolutely shit opinion. :p

Nobody is shocked, really. He’s been saying shit like this for at least a decade now. It’s just weird timing to double down and lament on how comedy can’t be offensive anymore as he promotes his inoffensive Pop-Tart movie.

2 hours ago, Kamusha said:

Nobody is shocked, really. He’s been saying shit like this for at least a decade now. It’s just weird timing to double down and lament on how comedy can’t be offensive anymore as he promotes his inoffensive Pop-Tart movie.

Oh yea, I got you. His take on this isn't exactly new, but it still sucks.

The broader issue with lamenting the lack of sitcoms is that comedy has never been more popular, it's just hyper targeted, algorithmically delivered, and provided constantly. It's not like a drama where a viewer generally needs longer storylines, decent acting, some kind of spectacle, etc., to be hooked. So i get that sitcoms are at the moment less popular than they have been in the past and as someone who created one of the all time best sitcoms, I can appreciate the perspective that the state of that medium kinda sucks at the moment.

But to blame it on wokeism is just fucking stupid. It's disappointing that a generally intelligent and well informed person, someone who has certainly forgotten more about comedy / sitcoms than I will ever know, decides to open his mouth and just be glaringly wrong.

• Halal 1

It's just the dumbest opinion ever. If anything, comedy shows are so much more edgier and out there now than they were in his heyday. You can get away with 10 times more now than you could when he was in his prime.

He should go roll around in all of his money and shut the fuck up.

(His stupid pop tart movie looks like total shit by the way.)

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

But to blame it on wokeism is just fucking stupid.

I was randomly wondering if there's ever been a mention of a Starcraft 3 yesterday and one of the top hits was a reddit post where one of the comments from within the last year was saying there won't be one because Blizzard has gone woke. That was the entire comment. :silly:

14 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

How in the hell did his buddy Larry David survive doing his show all of this time?!

Maybe we were expecting too much from someone who thought it was a good idea to date a high schooler while he was in his late 30's. Who can say?

• Haha 1

I always like that these comedians complain and whine about "wokeness" when, as others have said here, we get away with a lot more on TV today than when Seinfeld was airing in the '90s. I remember when sexual content on TV was a big deal, and now we have Euphoria right there on HBO and the song WAP right there on Youtube and Spotify. Thinking that content is being "held back" these days rather than the free for all it has become is to clearly lose the forest for the trees. I don't think I've yet seen a comedian who has complained about this that wasn't putting out content that deserved to be lambasted (Chappelle's anti-trans material being one good example). It's not like some comedian made a light joke about someone else's race in their stand up routine and got cancelled for it, it's comedians with really aggressive material, arguably not funny, putting it out there in a mean spirited fashion who are getting called out.

Like, what's the argument there? Let stand-up comedians just go off and be racist and anti-trans and whatever else? I don't think that's "wokeness", I think that's the world trying to make you a better person with better material.

30 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Maybe we were expecting too much from someone who thought it was a good idea to date a high schooler while he was in his late 30's. Who can say?

Did not know this. As much as I absolutely adore Seinfeld the show I never cared for him outside of it. He is very strange to say the least and not like his TV character at all. 

27 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I always like that these comedians complain and whine about "wokeness" when, as others have said here, we get away with a lot more on TV today than when Seinfeld was airing in the '90s. I remember when sexual content on TV was a big deal, and now we have Euphoria right there on HBO and the song WAP right there on Youtube and Spotify. Thinking that content is being "held back" these days rather than the free for all it has become is to clearly lose the forest for the trees. I don't think I've yet seen a comedian who has complained about this that wasn't putting out content that deserved to be lambasted (Chappelle's anti-trans material being one good example). It's not like some comedian made a light joke about someone else's race in their stand up routine and got cancelled for it, it's comedians with really aggressive material, arguably not funny, putting it out there in a mean spirited fashion who are getting called out.

Like, what's the argument there? Let stand-up comedians just go off and be racist and anti-trans and whatever else? I don't think that's "wokeness", I think that's the world trying to make you a better person with better material.

Even if he's talking about network television exclusively (he probably is) it's still a dumb fucking thing to say. All in the Family was initially passed on by ABC because they were wary of Archie Bunker being "a loveable bigot," The Mary Tyler Moore Show went through a bunch of drafts because of thoughts about the premise / material and its adjacency to Moore's turn on The Dick Van Dyke Show, is and was a feminist darling, and I dunno man including MASH on the list of sitcoms that people just kinda came home and watched that wasn't woke or whatever makes me think Seinfeld should be evaluated for a recent stroke.

Also buddy, you're fucking Jerry Seinfeld. If this shit is that important to you fucking make a show? What network is going to turn him down? Even if he doesn't wanna do the work, be an EP on something? Seinfeld doesn't know hungry comics who "aren't PC" with a pitch for a sitcom? Eat my ass old man, get in a car with Louis CK and Chappelle then drive into the Hudson.

• True 2
  • Halal 1

10 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Even if he's talking about network television exclusively (he probably is) it's still a dumb fucking thing to say. All in the Family was initially passed on by ABC because they were wary of Archie Bunker being "a loveable bigot," The Mary Tyler Moore Show went through a bunch of drafts because of thoughts about the premise / material and its adjacency to Moore's turn on The Dick Van Dyke Show, is and was a feminist darling, and I dunno man including MASH on the list of sitcoms that people just kinda came home and watched that wasn't woke or whatever makes me think Seinfeld should be evaluated for a recent stroke.

Also buddy, you're fucking Jerry Seinfeld. If this shit is that important to you fucking make a show? What network is going to turn him down? Even if he doesn't wanna do the work, be an EP on something? Seinfeld doesn't know hungry comics who "aren't PC" with a pitch for a sitcom? Eat my ass old man, get in a car with Louis CK and Chappelle then drive into the Hudson.

I think this is a very good point, and it's only gotten more overt on network TV since, not less so (as Seinfeld seems to think). And I agree: there are few people who have more clout in Hollywood than Jerry Seinfeld (he got this movie made with a cast of very well known funny people) and if he really thought there was a voice that was being suppressed you'd think he'd make something to show that. But no, as usual it's this vague "extreme leftist" woke mob stopping . . . nothing? Calling out terrible things? I'd really like to know what things Jerry Seinfeld or others are just dying to say to make us laugh hard that they can't say. I can't imagine anything benign. Like, please, give us one example of a joke you don't feel like you can say that would just kill if we got to hear it. Just one. And then suddenly it's always crickets.

• stepee 1

Also, maybe I'm missing something, but while sitcoms, romcoms and straight up comedies have certainly been genres that have been dying lately (unfortunately so as I love those genres), I'm not sure I even agree with the proposition that there are a lack of sitcoms. We're not flooded with them like we once were, but there are plenty of sitcoms out there, I mean, Jerry Seinfeld's friend Larry David just released the last season of his sitcom. I mean, do these not count as good sitcoms? Extended Family, Girls5eva, Abbott Elementary, Night Court, Not Dead Yet, Rick & Morty, What We Do in the Shadows, It's Always Sunny, Letterkenny and more. The best rebuttal I can think of is getting pedantic about what counts as a sitcom, and whether it's on network TV or not, but there isn't some lack of great comedy writing on TV.

• stepee 1

6 hours ago, Kamusha said:

No wonder Larry kept quitting him

As others have pointed out elsewhere online, if shows like Family Guy, South Park, Rick and Morty, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, etc. can continue to get made to this day, I really don't think "wokeness" is a true barrier to comedy. 

• True 1
  • Halal 1

1 hour ago, Moa said:

ITT: People so upset Seinfeld complained about the direction of comedy they suggest he kill himself, definitely not proving his point.

His point is wrong and nobody winging in this thread would be proving him right even if he was correct.

11 hours ago, Moa said:

ITT: People so upset Seinfeld complained about the direction of comedy they suggest he kill himself, definitely not proving his point.

Yes, one poster joked about Seinfeld killing himself. Are you complaining about the direction of comedy from that user?

2 hours ago, 69los said:

spacer.png

Again Seinfeld misses the point. Do I think JERRY SEINFEELD could do a joke about pulling homeless people in rickshaws on network television in 2024? YES ABSOLUTELY. Do I think he'd probably have to hear someone talk about whether or not it's okay to dunk on homeless people? Yeah, probably. But he could absolutely still do it and it's not like you need Seinfeld clout to pull it off. In the New Yorker article linked in that tweet he implies that Larry David is grandfathered in, and yeah he probably is. But the issues with saying things like "nobody can make X anymore" when X is almost always either Blazing Saddles or Tropic Thunder are that... those are exceptions. They wouldn't be the only examples people keep bringing up if there was some mythical era of "non-woke" comedies. And it also ignores that Tina Fey put people in blackface a BUNCH of times on 30 Rock pretty recently. So it always boils down to "nobody can do X anymore... other than those times I won't list where they definitely still happen" even if we're talking about exclusively network TV.

And he almost certainly had to go through this bullshit back when he was making Seinfeld. Probably not a coincidence that nobody says the word "masturbate" during "The Bet." Probably not a coincidence that Elaine didn't come right out and say her sax playing boyfriend didn't eat her out. Was that PC culture run amok? I don't know, but probably not?

Anyway these are all exercises in self snitchery. If you want to make jokes about homeless people on a network sitcom, go nuts. If you're not willing to do it because someone might give you a note about it, I dunno... maybe just shut the fuck up?

EDIT - to be 100% clear, a couple of the times that someone was in blackface on 30 Rock were, charitably, commentary about blackface specifically. Still there was that one time where Jenna got done up in blackface to be Lynn Swann and Paul dressed as Natalie Portman from Black Swan so they could go to New Queer's Eve as "Two Black Swans." So... no commentary there, just Tina Fey thinking blackface is funny. And to take it away from network TV for a second, Jane Krakowski's entire character gag in Kimmy Schmidt is that she's actually Native American, she just looks white. Titus feels entitled to appropriate Japanese culture because he was a Geisha in a previous life.

01692b2a-039c-46c1-ade5-972b23f4cf3a_tex

Maybe it's not actually wokeism, hmm.

• Halal 1