Alien: Romulus (16 August 2024) - update (07/18): "Final" trailer

12 hours ago, Best said:

Idk, that trailer was cool af to me. I won't see it in theaters but as a huge fan of Alien and Aliens this looks great. 

If the trailer looks cool AF, you're a fan of the original IP, why not see it in theaters? Please, help me understand.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Brick said:

Was that a zero gravity sequence with acid blood floating around!? Oh that's going to be a tense scene all right. 

Think of it like space spider webs that will corrode/erode your flesh if you touch it. 

7 hours ago, SoberChef said:

If the trailer looks cool AF, you're a fan of the original IP, why not see it in theaters? Please, help me understand.

Lol. I don't go to the theaters for anything. It will be streaming a month later. 

Support movies in theaters. I just had a great experience seeing the new Bad Boys with a great crowd.

Also, that first shot of the trailer looked like Hadley's Hope, so I wonder if it's teenagers from Hadley's Hope escaping from the colony on LV-426?

• Hype 1

1 minute ago, MarSolo said:

Support movies in theaters. I just had a great experience seeing the new Bad Boys with a great crowd.

Also, that first shot of the trailer looked like Hadley's Hope, so I wonder if it's teenagers from Hadley's Hope escaping from the colony on LV-426?

I am not secure enough to see a movie in the theaters by myself.  :(

On 6/7/2024 at 5:01 PM, Best said:

I am not secure enough to see a movie in the theaters by myself.  :(

As a person who also felt awkward doing stuff like that solo, I came to two conclusions.  First, the fuck do I care what strangers think?  Second, I have never once in my life paid attention to who came into a theater or where they sat unless they were being extremely conspicuous.  Go alone all you want, no one in the theater will ever notice.

20 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

As a person who also felt awkward doing stuff like that solo, I came to two conclusions.  First, the fuck do I care what strangers think?  Second, I have never once in my life paid attention to who came into a theater or where they sat unless they were being extremely conspicuous.  Go alone all you want, no one in the theater will ever notice.

I got ya. Fortunately I have a quest 3 so I never have to go to a theater again. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Alien: Romulus (16 August 2024) - update (07/18): "Final" trailer
  • 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Seeing the trailer in the theater this past weekend really hit home at just how visually stunning this film appears to be and especially so with a reported production budget of "only" $40 million!

The idea that this one has a more stripped down, back to basics approach is honestly what has me excited. Build a sick set, fill it with young stars and a xenomorph or two, and just get nasty. 

5 hours ago, TheLeon said:

The idea that this one has a more stripped down, back to basics approach is honestly what has me excited. Build a sick set, fill it with young stars and a xenomorph or two, and just get nasty. 

Upon further research, it seems that the film was the beneficiary of substantial tax credits for filming in Hungary, so the "actual" production costs are probably in the range of $60 million to $80 million.

Feature story from Total Film magazine:

WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

The latest Feature,/features,,features, breaking news, comment, reviews and features from the experts at GamesRadar+

Fede Alvarez has a question for Total Film: "What do you prefer, Alien or Aliens?" But before TF can respond with a well- rehearsed speech ("Objectively? They're both unimpeachable masterworks. Subjectively? Aliens all day, baby!"), Alvarez reveals this is a hypothetical with a point. "I think that's a perverse question," the straight-talking Uruguayan filmmaker says over Zoom in late April. "You should never be put through that choice."

Alien: Romulus is his answer to that 'perverse question' of apples and oranges. Describing the film as "an amalgamation of Alien and Aliens on many levels", everything from the environmental design to the pacing and the way the returning bestiary of Giger-accurate creatures is utilised in Romulus exists on a spectrum from the shadowy, slow-burn chills of Alien to the muscular, adrenalised thrills of Aliens. 

"Every day we were like, 'What movie are we making today?'" says star Cailee Spaeny (Priscilla, Civil War), who has the unenviable task of following Sigourney Weaver's Ellen Ripley as the new face of the series, while the xeno-slayer-in-chief is two decades into a peaceful 57-year hypersleep. "'Are we making Alien or Aliens? What are we going to channel today?' Because they're so different in tone."

Nice nod to the fantastic Alien: Isolation!

GIZMODO.COM

Fede Alverez didn't just look to past Alien movies to influence his own story.

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

There is simply no point in being online if you care about spoilers in 2024. Scrolling through TikTok in the last few weeks I’ve seen all of Deadpool and Wolverine, just out of order.

I don't think that's necessarily true. You just have to be careful where you go online and when (meaning when something releases). I don't bother with TikTok and I haven't run into any Alien: Romulus spoilers otherwise and I'm perpetually online in some ways. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but there are ways to avoid it.

9 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I don't think that's necessarily true. You just have to be careful where you go online and when (meaning when something releases). I don't bother with TikTok and I haven't run into any Alien: Romulus spoilers otherwise and I'm perpetually online in some ways. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but there are ways to avoid it.

I guess? I don’t usually traffic in movie stuff on YouTube in favor of mini painting and gaming content but I had some stuff spoiled for this in a thumbnail; I didn’t even have to scroll. It’s possible to not be spoiled of course but there are just so many vectors for stuff to get spoiled that logging off is really the only safe way; it’s really out of your control if you engage in anything adjacent to social media.

7 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I guess? I don’t usually traffic in movie stuff on YouTube in favor of mini painting and gaming content but I had some stuff spoiled for this in a thumbnail; I didn’t even have to scroll. It’s possible to not be spoiled of course but there are just so many vectors for stuff to get spoiled that logging off is really the only safe way; it’s really out of your control if you engage in anything adjacent to social media.

I definitely agree, logging off is the best way to avoid spoilers for sure, I just meant you can be online and avoid many. My brother is hyper obsessed with avoiding almost anything about any show or movie and he's permanently online. He has a method of scanning and skimming so as to avoid headlines, etc. of things he knows he might be interested in. I'm not nearly as aggressive as he is but I am able to avoid most spoilers online.