2024 Formula 1 Season. It’s Lights Out and Away We Go!

5 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Why weigh them separately then? Very weird. 

I believe it is because they drain the fuel out of the vehicle before they weigh them.

And, they want to weight the drivers before they have anything to drink.

I recall there being a minimum weight for the driver as well, but its been several years since I've looked at the rules.

• 3 weeks later...

lol Lando on team radio already sounds bored with winning. Haha 

What a dominant performance by Lando and McLaren. How the fuck did he get fastest lap on hard tyres that old over Mercedes on softs?? Holy shit. I wonder if RBR now regrets not taking the free pit stop to put softs on Perez to try and take fastest lap. Petez may not have been fast enough, but maybe…. 

hmm. Too bad this year didn’t have rain though. A few bright spots of racing, but more on the mid side as races go. 

Season increasingly looks like it could be a manufacturer’s championship for McLaren and a Driver’s Championship for Verstappen. 

I suspect McLaren will rue taking the win from Norris and RBR will regret having Perez squandering all those opportunities for points. 

5 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I suspect McLaren will rue taking the win from Norris

if it comes down to that there are so many other missed opportunities where Norris didn’t maximize points. They can rue that one decision, but it alone won’t have cost Norris the championship. 

I wanted to see Sargent do well, but he hasn't really earned that seat. Assuming that he's out because of the expense of his crashes, it is a bit surprising to put a rookie into that seat. I guess they couldn't get Liam Lawson on loan and it's a real blow to Mick if he's not even good enough to fill in for a Williams seat. He also tended to crash the car though, so I don't really blame James for not going with Mick.

12 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

McLaren (and Lando) need to figure out what it takes to win a Driver's championship again,.

Lando definitely. Don’t brake early and leave the door wide open. I was looking forward to Lando being told he could race Piastri, but then he never really did. Lando can still win the WDC if he averages at least 7 points more than Max for the rest if the season, which based on tracks left, looks more than a maybe. 

I had a feeling there that Ferrari was going to do the opposite to McLaren. Maybe that wasn’t the case and they had decided for a one stop before McLaren’s last stops. But it seemed like they had nothing to lose. Of Leclare’s wins this season this is definitely the most impressive. He had to build that gap and keep just enough pace while keeping the tyres alive. Good on him. 

and Colapinto kept it out of the barriers and finished P12. Not bad. 

Adrian Newey’s move to the Aston Martin Formula 1 team looks set to be announced in the build-up to next week’s Azerbaijan Grand Prix.

Following months of speculation about the future of the legendary F1 designer, who announced earlier this year that he would be leaving Red Bull, final confirmation of his plans is likely to come before the next race.

While Newey was initially linked most strongly with the Ferrari team in the wake of his Red Bull exit, it quickly became clear that Aston Martin had overtaken it as a leading bidder to secure his services.

As a racing fan, I'm not really inclined to ever complain about teams allowing their drivers to race each other, but it does seem like McLaren are greatly diminishing their chances to win both championships in an effort to cater to their second year driver who doesn't have a chance.

The pass attempt by Piastri was only doable because Lando left him space -- and Oscar knew he "had to".  Against any other driver, Lando is driving wide in that chicane.  I gaurantee that Lewis, Max or Fernando would not have left enough space for Oscar to make that pass on the outside -- they would have compromised their line to force Oscar into the runoff.

This type of move benefits Leclerc more than anyone else, because that type of pass compromises both McLaren's lines through the chicane.  And Leclerc's line isn't compromised, so he gets a much better run coming out of the chicane.

If Oscar doesn't make that pass attempt, I suspect this race is a 1-2 finish for McLaren.

Lando has to be more cutthroat.  He should have forced Oscar to miss the chicane and take the runoff.

So I was kind of thinking of something yesterday in regards to certain drivers and them being a “#1” driver. It made me think who on grid is a true #1? In the sense that McLaren has two #1 drivers. So with this thought experiment, who on the grid is good enough to be a #1 pretty much anywhere they go vs somebody who is really more of a #2. 

So like Bottas is really more of a #2. He only looks like a #1 right now because Zhou is so weak. 

so like I would say as far drivers that are true #1 drivers, it is a short list. 

Alonso

Hamilton

Leclere

Verstappen

Norris

Piastri

Russell

Hulkenberg. <- I think he would be MIGHTY in a faster car. Or maybe he’s closer to the likes of Albon and Perez than he is to those I mentioned above him. 

honestly I think that’s it. Everyone else on the grid to me is only good enough to be a #2. They do not have the skills to challenge better drivers consistently enough to ever be a rival. And by that I mean you put any driver I didn’t mention, no matter how they are currently stacking up to their teammate now, and put them on a team with a driver I did mention above, and they will easily and clearly be the #2. 

19 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I am not sure how you are defining a "true #1 driver".  Traditionally that is who is the clear best driver at a given team, and will normally be given priority by the team.

You've got a whole lot of teammates on your list.

I guess it is kind of like level of skill. Which driver is good enough that you could see a team prioritize them or in a Rosberg/Hamilton sense where neither driver needs to be prioritized and they give each other a battle for a championship. But if the team needed it they are strong enough to lead the team to a championship. 

kind of what people refer to Formula 1 and Formula 1.5 for cars, but when talking about drivers. 

I don’t maybe still a bit nebulous of a concept. There isn’t any driver I would have categorized as #2 that if you put them on a team with the drivers I said are #1 that could overshadow the #1 driver. 

• 2 weeks later...

Way to go Colapinto! Q3 in his second F1 race weekend on a challenging track. If not for the mistake by the crew with Albon maybe Colapinto doesn’t out qualify Albon, but who knows. Colapinto did improve his time in his final run. 

I don’t think Lando is going to be stuck down in 17th for long. I don’t know if he will be able to catch up to Piastri for team orders to even come into play, but I think finishing in the points is definitely in the cards. 

Bearman making a good showing in qualifying too. If he really is faster than Nico than this will mean that HAAS every two years manages to upgrade their driver. lol 

I know we still need to see the race, but this is what I am talking about with F1 teams needing to give rookie drivers a chance when somebody shows they aren’t cutting it or are no longer as good as they were 10 years ago. Experience is not the end all be all when there is so much raw talent out there already capable of being faster. 

Great job Piastri. Incredible drive. Good to see him get a win unequivocally. Lando finished a bit higher than I expected him to based on his 17th qualifying position, but when I saw he was starting 15th I knew catching and passing Max was a very strong possibility, unless Max had a strong race and gained positions, which he didn’t really. 

2 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Perez is such a helmet. He demonstrated again why he doesn’t deserve that seat. He had almost no overlap, and the entire track to his left. 

yeah, the stewards decided no further action taken. I guess deeming it more to being a racing incident because of Sainz’s compromised entry and exit to turn 2 that allowed Perez an easy run up the inside. But it sure as hell looked to from the overhead that Perez drifted right, going into Sainz. I mean I never want to discourage close, aggressive racing, but that that looked like the error was all Perez. Maybe I need to see the onboard for Perez. They showed Sainz and you can see he did not turn the wheel left. 

The race was exciting, but more so because of the constant tension that something could happen. All race long it felt like a car was 1-2 tenths of a second away from being able to make an overtake. I laughed to myself at one point realizing it felt like this race was edging me. lol

but also way to go Colapinto and Bearman. In two F1 races Colapinto has already shown to be a better driver than Sargeant, and is even ahead of Sargeant in the driver standings. Hell in 2 races Colapinto has outscored Sargeant’s entire F1 career, in the same car. lol It is almost like the writing was on the wall last season. 

If this is what the Williams is capable of, I think Colapinto has a real chance to finish the season in 15th. What if Mercedes changes their mind and signs Colapinto instead of Kimi? hmm 

11 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Great job Piastri. Incredible drive. Good to see him get a win unequivocally. Lando finished a bit higher than I expected him to based on his 17th qualifying position, but when I saw he was starting 15th I knew catching and passing Max was a very strong possibility, unless Max had a strong race and gained positions, which he didn’t really. 

yeah, the stewards decided no further action taken. I guess deeming it more to being a racing incident because of Sainz’s compromised entry and exit to turn 2 that allowed Perez an easy run up the inside. But it sure as hell looked to from the overhead that Perez drifted right, going into Sainz. I mean I never want to discourage close, aggressive racing, but that that looked like the error was all Perez. Maybe I need to see the onboard for Perez. They showed Sainz and you can see he did not turn the wheel left. 

The race was exciting, but more so because of the constant tension that something could happen. All race long it felt like a car was 1-2 tenths of a second away from being able to make an overtake. I laughed to myself at one point realizing it felt like this race was edging me. lol

but also way to go Colapinto and Bearman. In two F1 races Colapinto has already shown to be a better driver than Sargeant, and is even ahead of Sargeant in the driver standings. Hell in 2 races Colapinto has outscored Sargeant’s entire F1 career, in the same car. lol It is almost like the writing was on the wall last season. 

If this is what the Williams is capable of, I think Colapinto has a real chance to finish the season in 15th. What if Mercedes changes their mind and signs Colapinto instead of Kimi? hmm 

Perez didn’t turn into him either. 

I’m pretty sure Sainz had no idea he was there. Perez had a really small amount of overlap, and could see exactly where Sainz was. And let’s be fair, turn 2 at Baku is not an opportunity to overtake. Just a complete of race craft by Perez. 

Not penalizing him is probably the right call. But that collision was easily avoided. And just like in Monaco, his race ended rather than doing basic self preservation. 

3 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Perez didn’t turn into him either. 

I’m pretty sure Sainz had no idea he was there. Perez had a really small amount of overlap, and could see exactly where Sainz was. And let’s be fair, turn 2 at Baku is not an opportunity to overtake. Just a complete of race craft by Perez. 

Not penalizing him is probably the right call. But that collision was easily avoided. And just like in Monaco, his race ended rather than doing basic self preservation. 

in the overhead it looked like Perez drifted right due to where he was relative to the hashed white lines. But maybe the road narrows at that spot. 

but yeah, Perez once again proving he is doing more harm than good in that car. And when we see the likes of Bearman and Colapinto getting into an F1 car and being more than just competent. Perez has been a net negative to the team. It is a real shame, because he had good qualifying and was having a very good race. I was surprised he was able to keep up with Oscar and Leclere. 

4 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Something interesting is we do continue our long streak of no safety cars, since this finished under VSC. 

and I saw somebody mention that Bearman is now the first F1 driver to score points for two different teams in a single season. Or maybe he’s the first rookie to do it. 

The stat I heard was he was the first person to score points in his first two races to begin a career for different teams. 

• Thanks 1