Super Monkey Ball Banana Rumble | Switch Exclusive | June 25, 2024

Keyser_Soze

It’s actually kinda confusing because there is a dlc character pass for $5 but it doesn’t say what it has so idk if that pass is for these four. But it seems all the Sega pass does is included 6 characters and 15 customization items. And all Deluxe comes with IS the Sega Pass. So I’m curious what you get for that $5 as opposed to the $20. 

Either way worst case at least it’s a $50 game so it’s just a modern full priced $70 for the deluxe which I’ll personally probably get anyway.

28 minutes ago, stepee said:

It’s actually kinda confusing because there is a dlc character pass for $5 but it doesn’t say what it has so idk if that pass is for these four. But it seems all the Sega pass does is included 6 characters and 15 customization items. And all Deluxe comes with IS the Sega Pass. So I’m curious what you get for that $5 as opposed to the $20.

Look closely because I think that might be for the old game. I was trying to look for the deluxe and stumbled across the $5 thing as well but it was for Banana Blitz or something, not this game, Banana Rumble

8 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Look closely because I think that might be for the old game. I was trying to look for the deluxe and stumbled across the $5 thing as well but it was for Banana Blitz or something, not this game, Banana Rumble

WWW.NINTENDO.COM

Buy SEGA Character Pass DLC 1 and shop other great Nintendo products online at the official My Nintendo Store.

• 3 weeks later...

Reviews are “rolling” in and sounding good!

Game Information

Game Title: Super Monkey Ball: Banana Rumble

Platforms:

• Nintendo Switch (Jun 25, 2024)

Trailer:

Publisher: Sega

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 77 average - 79% recommended

Critic Reviews

Atomix - Aldo López - Spanish - 80 / 100

Honestly, I would recommend it to players who want to get into the franchise and don't know how to do it, and although it gets difficult as you go through the levels, at least there is a help mode to guide new players. As for veterans of the saga, they will enjoy it just as they did with the Gamecube classics.

CGMagazine - Jordan Biordi - 9 / 10

Super Monkey Ball Banana Rumble maintains the series’ iconic arcade fun while bringing fresh new elements to enhance the game like never before.

COGconnected - Jaz Sagoo - 80 / 100

Super Monkey Ball Banana Rumble is the return to form that fans have been waiting for. Courses develop in their complexity in order to create the best single-player campaign since the sophomore release. While the multiplayer portion includes new minigames, it struggles to maintain the same level of engagement and longevity as the originals. Despite that, the dedication to improving the franchise’s gameplay mechanics ensures it’s a significant addition for both longtime fans and newcomers alike.

Checkpoint Gaming - Charlie Kelly - 7.5 / 10

Super Monkey Ball Banana Rumble's offerings are exactly what you'd expect, a fun and bananas time that is easy to pick up and hard to master. The new gimmick of the spin-dash feels quintessential and juices the experience of working through 200 arcade levels just that little bit more. Though there's room for improvements with online matchmaking and some levels perhaps being a bit too hard for hard's sake, there are just as many quality additions in gameplay assistance tools and the ability to doll your monkey up in dozens upon dozens of cute fits. There's no monkeying around here when it comes to quality- Super Monkey Ball as a franchise remains the belle of the ball.

ComingSoon.net - Tyler Treese - 8.5 / 10

Super Monkey Ball Banana Rumble is yet another success in Sega’s platform party game series.

Daily Star - Tom Hutchison - 3.5 / 5

It’s old-school gaming, straight to the point, simple and fun.

Digital Trends - Giovanni Colantonio - 4 / 5

Sometimes a niche series like this that’s been around for decades can become comfortable catering to longtime fans. Banana Rumble avoids that pitfall by instead giving new players all the tools they need to understand each challenge. Casual multiplayer modes, as light as they may be, bring some extra appeal for that crowd. On the other end of the spectrum, the spin dash is a powerful tool for veterans who want a new way to push their skills to the limits. Whether you’re a longtime spectator or a seasoned speed demon, Super Monkey Ball: Banana Rumble saves a seat for you at the party.

Final Weapon - Alex Patterson - 4 / 5

Banana Rumble is the first all-new Super Monkey Ball game in a long time, and it proves that the series still has more arcade thrills to provide. The new Spin Dash mechanic is an excellent addition and opens up some very neat possibilities. Unfortunately, some technical issues and a few tedious stages somewhat hurt the overall experience, but there is otherwise a lot to appreciate here.

Game Rant - Nick Rodriguez - 4 / 5

Banana Rumble truly understands what makes the Super Monkey Ball series tick, giving players the same sense of intense, exhilarating thrill and wholesome fun thanks to its no-frills chaos. With polished fundamentals, Spin Dash, and online multiplayer, it's easy to see Super Monkey Ball Banana Rumble fostering a strong community of players for years to come.

GamingTrend - Jack Zustiak - 85 / 100

Banana Rumble shows the value of adding a new spin on a tried-and-true formula. This series has wallowed in its past for a long time, so I'm glad to see the new Spin Dash mechanic propel it into new and exciting places. As far as Super Monkey Ball sequels go, this one is easily the top banana.

God is a Geek - Lyle Carr - 8 / 10

Super Monkey Ball Banana Rumble is a great entry in the series, with loads of single player stages and fantastic frantic online multiplayer.

Hobby Consolas - Javier Escribano - Spanish - 80 / 100

Super Monkey Ball Banana Rumble is a good step forward in the saga, with few but very successful changes: the Spin Dash move enriches the gameplay and its very flexible difficulty guarantees demonic challenges without anyone getting frustrated. Add in generally fun multiplayer modes and fun is guaranteed all summer long.

MonsterVine - Spencer Legacy - 4.5 / 5

Super Monkey Ball Banana Rumble is another exhilarating platformer from Ryu ga Gotoku Studio. Though some of the later levels can be less than pleasant, the majority of the game is a blast and will have you on the edge of your seat in the best way possible.

Nintendo Life - Oliver Reynolds - 7 / 10

If all you're looking for in a new Super Monkey Ball game is a selection of new single-player levels to tackle, then you're in luck, because Banana Rumble boasts some of the best stages we've seen in recent memory. The additional 'Spin Dash' ability makes traversal a lot more fun, and the physics feel as close to 'classic' Monkey Ball as the franchise has got in quite some time. Unfortunately, if you're looking forward to the multiplayer modes, then temper your expectations. They're simply not very good for the most part and are significantly hampered by the drop in frame rate. We almost scored this a point lower, but the quality of the single-player just about pulls it up. As it stands, Banana Rumble is a mixed bag, but one worth delving into if you're itching for more single-player shenanigans.

Press Start - Kieron Verbrugge - 7.5 / 10

Though it does little to stray from the formula, Banana Rumble is a worthy original entry in a series that has somehow survived decades on a fairly simple concept. With a worthy Adventure Mode full of fun stages and addictive challenges, some great inclusions for approachability, a healthy suite of unlockables and some amusing, if not particularly compelling, multiplayer Battle modes, this is a decent overall package for Monkey Ball vets and newcomers alike.

The Games Machine - Emanuele Feronato - Italian - 8.2 / 10

There are games that do not necessarily have to innovate or dare to propose new mechanics because they are simply already perfect as they are. Super Monkey Ball Banana Rumble fits into this category by offering the classic Super Monkey Ball gameplay while introducing nothing more than the spin dash to add further speed to an already frenetic racing. This seems to be the franchise's fate: to occasionally offer hundreds of new levels until gradually interest fades, but so far we have a fun racing game that is easy to complete yet requires a lot of practice to find optimal paths and trajectories. Good.

TheSixthAxis - Dominic Leighton - 7 / 10

Super Monkey Ball Banana Rumble is a short and sweet addition to the Monkey Ball canon. There's plenty of Monkey shenanigans to indulge in, and fans will no doubt love the new online modes, with the only true caveat being that this is still, unequivocally, more of the same Monkey Ball.

VGC - Chris Scullion - 3 / 5

As the first entirely new Monkey Ball game in 12 years, fans of the series will at least be happy to have a selection of new stages to play through. Performance issues and a relatively sparse multiplayer offering prevent it from being considered among the best the series has to offer, however.

VGChartz - Evan Norris - 7.5 / 10

Banana Rumble doesn't unseat the original Super Monkey Ball or its sequel, but it gets closer than you'd think.

• stepee 1

It seems like a pretty good SMB3, at least as much as you could hope for one in 2024. The levels seem solid so far and I like the spin dash. But I can tell switch is barely keeping up here and apparently in multiplayer it doesn’t hold up performance wise. Anyway it’s good if you like playing SMB single player which is what I wanted.

• Hugs 1

Playing multiplayer and even vs cpu yeah the performance is rough :/ same with online then of course. Though I was quite pleased that the online match I did I was the top member of the team. It was just a game of going down steep ramps and hitting the target posts over and over. 

But it was like 20-25fps. And matches against cpu are about the same. Hope it’s not trapped here forever because it seems really fun besides the performance. 

The single player is still tons of fun though here.

7 hours ago, stepee said:

Playing multiplayer and even vs cpu yeah the performance is rough :/ 

But it was like 20-25fps.

wut. How??

EDIT: Wait, nvm, this is Switch only, isn't it?

I’d consider this a win overall though as the physics and level design are on point. The performance, wether through ports or emulation or boosts on a successor, will some day be there, so it’s good that those two things are.

21 hours ago, stepee said:

It’s soooooo DC/1stgen GC era Sega feeling though in the best of ways. Sega has been all hits lately 

Good to know. I haven't enjoyed the ones past the first two in the series even though I try. 

• stepee 1

13 minutes ago, chakoo said:

Good to know. I haven't enjoyed the ones past the first two in the series even though I try. 

Yeah at least single player wise this feels more like SMB3 than anything has since 

It’s a bit challenging for one thing, which the ones since haven’t been so much. No bumpers, easy deaths. A lot of unique gimmicks you need to learn in individual levels. I like being Sonic.

Honestly I dont know why it struggles with performance, I think the backgrounds are just a bitmap. Maybe they just coded it assuming a Switch 2 would be here.

Oh and besides that the only other annoying thing for me so far is after a few deaths it offers you an easy mode with the default option being “yes” so I’ve accidentally selected it a few times and then I have to go to the menu and back in again. Let me try a few times.

But yeah overall I like it because the actual game is fun and I think the design is solid. But while yes I still won’t wait to play the upcoming Switch games, cmon Nintendo put us out of our damn misery at this point!

People born the year the Switch came out are old enough to drive now! Not really, but it’s been long enough you started doing math real quick. If Switch 2 isn’t out by November next year I’m leaving this planet.

• 1 month later...

And it’s been fixed! At least for single player which is what I’m here for anyway. There might be improvements for multiplayer as well, but I won’t be able to test myself until I get home.

But the bread and butter, Adventure mode, now has a stable almost always locked 60fps, and I mean that in the literal sense, there are drops but they are actually rare as in not in most levels so far.

I didn’t bother updating the thread but we found out early on from DF that the frame rate isn’t as bad as it felt, it was actually due to this weird unity bug. Explanation and confirmation of the fix with the 1.1 patch here;

The second I started playing a level I felt the difference. It was such a striking difference in look and also feel that I felt short changed and decided to use my flight over here to restart from 1-1 and it’s so freakin good now.

Just the feel of it so much better that I beat pretty much every single previous time I had on my first try of replaying the levels. 

I can now say this is a fantastic Monkey Ball 3. They should have called it that for sure, missed opportunity. 

I hope they do dlc where they add mini games like Monkey Target, just to really flush it out as the true successor FINALLY. Call it Super Monkey Ball Banana Rumble Plus alongside mini game dlc and relaunch on all platforms and BOOM money is printing like what.