Found a copy of Lord of the Rings: War in the North on X360

XxEvil AshxX

I've been looking for this one for a while. I missed it when it was new because at the time, it was kind of market over-saturation with LotR shit. But I recently saw it on a Youtube list for best ARPG's and I never realized it was that kind of game. So I've been looking for it ever since, but because of the LotR licensing, it had been pulled from PC stores, so physical was the only way to get it (besides emulation and I tried that, it's not in a good state on Xenia). So I kept an eye on Amazon but most of the used copies were going for $20 on the cheap end, and with used shit on Amazon you just kinda don't know what you're going to get.

BUT.. I stopped by a retro games shop this week on a whim and they had a copy of it for $15.

I've only played a little bit of it but so far it's a pretty cool game. I love hack n slash ARPGs and have kinda been collecting them both through purchased copies and.. more unofficial means... but it's crazy how this one flew under the radar for me until recently.

• Halal 1

5 hours ago, TheLeon said:

Nice. Never played that one, but I was feeling in the mood for some Middle Earth action the other day so I downloaded Shadow of War. I loved Shadow of Mordor when it came out, no idea why I skipped the sequel. 

It had a horrible reputation for being pay to win at launch…that’s continually pushed it down the play list since it released, despite loving Tolkien and the first game. 

15 minutes ago, gamer.tv said:

It had a horrible reputation for being pay to win at launch…that’s continually pushed it down the play list since it released, despite loving Tolkien and the first game. 

… that’s probably why. :lol:
Oh well, it’s on Game Pass, I’ll mess around with it for a day or two and get my fix. 

There's a mission in War of the North, about ~10 hours into the game, that as far as I can tell is basically impossible to win if you aren't playing multiplayer or using cheats. Absolutely killed the game for me.

Other than that, it's a fun game.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2024 at 5:30 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

Wasn't there a Lord of the Rings RTS on the 360? I heard it was good and always wanted to check it out.

There was one called LotR: The Third Age, but as far as I know, it was a turn-based RPG. Then there was LotR: Battle for Middle Earth, which is the one you might be thinking of.

• 2 weeks later...

Is Xbox 360 considered retro gaming now? I still play it regularly and buy games for it occasionally although I pretty much have everything that I want for it at this point. I have a big physical game collection for it, I started buying most of what I wanted for it in the early to mid PS4/Xbox One generation because games for it were fairly cheap back then. Some games still are, but I have a lot that have gone up in price quite substantially since then.

I have Lord of the Rings: War in the North and enjoyed what I played of it back when I got it, but I didn’t finish it. It’s yet another game that I have that I plan on going back to and finishing some day.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2024 at 8:02 PM, Phaseknox said:

Is Xbox 360 considered retro gaming now? I still play it regularly and buy games for it occasionally although I pretty much have everything that I want for it at this point. I have a big physical game collection for it, I started buying most of what I wanted for it in the early to mid PS4/Xbox One generation because games for it were fairly cheap back then. Some games still are, but I have a lot that have gone up in price quite substantially since then.

I don't consider it retro in the sense that it is a certain age. But it is a game that is out of print and technically can't be acquired unless its found used somewhere. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/12/2024 at 6:02 PM, Phaseknox said:

I have Lord of the Rings: War in the North and enjoyed what I played of it back when I got it, but I didn’t finish it. It’s yet another game that I have that I plan on going back to and finishing some day.

We are at the same point from when the 360 came out that the 360 was from when the nes came out..it’s retro…we are retro :(