EA Sports College Football 25 | Out NOW! (Reviews From OpenCritic Posted / 88 Metascore)

Keyser_Soze

14 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I just read that review if you can call it that. What a weird guy.

He doesn't like that there are no tutorials, or that there ARE tutorials but they are in CUT. Then complains about the skill challenges to get the best score you have to be perfect (well duh) and he hasn't played Dynasty mode and says the game is bare bones. :silly:

Yeah I thought it was a really irresponsible write up to be honest. 

Dynasty is the game, really. To not play it at all (even though he could have, he just didn't cuz he couldn't connect to servers) and then post a fairly negative review didn't make a lot of sense to me. Just fuckin wait. I said it before, but it really seems to me like this game caught a bunch of nerds with their pants down and now they're scrambling to be part of the content cycle. 

So I went to play a quick game a bit ago just to familiarize myself with the game. I said I would just play a bit and quit but I ended up playing the whole game. 😳

But before I get to that, I thought the presentation of this game was slick. The menus at least. I picked SDSU and it was a really nice look and I thought, "man they did this for every team" Crazy. And I also found the skills drills in the menu which counters the IGN review that said the UI was bad and you couldn't do the drills. Huh :confused:

But anyway, I chose Boise State just so I could test out a middle of the road team, and see that smurf turf and went against Ohio (not state). The first play of the game I threw a pick six (which unfortunately was what ended up costing me the game). I was playing on Varsity, the game is very quick. The running game is good and I got some good passes here and there coverage was good on the receivers, maybe Ohio has good defense, but my TE was a problem for them and had some really nice passes. I thought about uploading them but I ended up deciding against it. I clawed my way back into the game and Ohio missed a chip shot FG late in the game then I went down the field scored and went for 2 instead of the tie so I was up 1 point with a minute left. But never leave whoever the Ohio QB is with that much time because they came back and got into FG range, which I thought no way they make it after missing the FG earlier but they hit it and I end up losing 24 - 22.

They also have a receiver (#7) he only caught 4 passes but it was like 168 yards and 2 TDs, like no one could tackle him or run him down wtf?

But the main idea is I wanted to see how the game played before I messed with any sliders (since I was looking at them before I played) but maybe I need a few more practice games to get familiar with the game before I start tweaking it. :p

I had fun though, the game seems really smooth. Makes me wonder if it supports higher than 60 fps.

• stepee 1

Game Information

Game Title: EA Sports College Football 25

Platforms:

• PlayStation 5 (Jul 19, 2024)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Jul 19, 2024)

Trailer:

Publisher: EA

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 84 average - 86% recommended

Critic Reviews

Spoiler

But Why Tho? - Kyle Foley - 9.5 / 10

EA SPORTS College Football 25 adeptly brings the joy and chaos of college football to life in a breathtaking way. Nothing has ever captured that gameday feel quite like this and fans should rejoice that the franchise they know and love is back and better than ever for them and new generations to enjoy.

ComingSoon.net - Tyler Treese - 9 / 10

EA Sports College Football 25 was certainly worth the wait. It’s the most fun I’ve had in a football game in years and has a distinct feel that makes it more than just Madden with collegiate players and teams.

Final Weapon - Noah Hunter - 3.5 / 5

College Football 25 is a good return to form for the series after an 11-year absence. All 134 FBS teams have been recreated with exceptional detail, from the stadiums to the playbooks. While there is a lot left to be desired, CFB25 is a great platform that Tiburon can build off of for the future. It's nowhere near perfect, but it's a ton of fun. It's safe to say that EA has mostly delivered.

Forbes - Brian Mazique - 8.5 / 10

When I heard EA was bringing college football back, I was fully prepared to play a game of Madden with college uniforms. In all honesty, I would have played it and been mildly satisfied. EA delivered a much deeper experience that easily carves its own identity in every way possible. Once EA learns its way around the restrictions of the NIL situation, the series will go to an even higher level.

Game Informer - Jason Guisao - 8.5 / 10

EA Sports College Football 25 makes the gridiron feel new again with stellar visuals that heighten the gameday intensity and smooth controls that evoke the high-octane moment-to-moment action that makes college football so beloved. I enjoy the painstaking, time-consuming process of revitalizing weak programs in Dynasty as well as competing against teammates to earn that coveted starting spot in Road to Glory, but some skin-deep progression systems and game modes are concerning; beyond the campaigns, there simply isn’t enough to see or do. Nevertheless, CFB 25 is a confident spiral throw in the right direction, and I’m excited to see how its strong foundation evolves in future releases.

GamesRadar+ - Ben Wilson - 4.5 / 5

The best American football game in a decade, with a career mode which will take over your life – along with fabulous levels of college pageantry and authenticity.

GamingTrend - Adam Moreno - 95 / 100

After a long build of anticipation for College Football 25, EA Sports kicks it right through the uprights. They give us the opportunity to live out our biggest college football dreams in a beautiful and atmospheric journey through multiple modes. Between Dynasty Mode, Road to Glory, Road to the CFP, and Head 2 Head; there's something here for every type of player. If you loved NCAA 14, this game is everything you would want and more.

Hardcore Gamer - Cory Wells - 4.5 / 5

EA put all of its chips into College Football 25, and it truly paid off. People are buying consoles just to play this game. It's a cultural phenomenon and the experience that's provided isn't replicated anywhere else. All the new additions to help make the game stand out including Wear and Tear, Turbo Mode, different coverage shells and added hot routes for pre-play, and basically everything added isn't just a gimmick, it's a substantial change. While some bugs and logic need to be addressed, College Football 25 is undoubtedly the most fun football game to come out in years. Everything College Football is here.

PlayStation Universe - Timothy Nunes - 7 / 10

EA Sports College Football 2025 is the return of college football that sports gaming fans have been waiting for. There's enough here to keep the avid and dedicated fans around for a good while, with Dynasty Mode and Road to Glory taking center stage. Control over dynasty players, playing defense, and not fully showing what controls are bring down the experience quite a bit, especially in the beginning hours. EA Sports College Football 25 is not for everyone, but fans will get enough out of it to keep the franchise coming back around each year, hopefully with improvements.

Polygon - Matt Brown - Unscored

Running the ball has also changed. The AI around blocking schemes has improved, and new animations and physics make it easier to fight through arm tackles or poor pursuit angles. The option system has also been revamped. The good news is that players now have multiple types of pitches they can throw, which can open up the playbook beyond the commonly used Read Option. The bad news is that the button scheme to hand the ball off or keep it has flipped from the last few years, meaning that I spent hours handing off the ball when I meant to hold on to it.

Pure Xbox - PJ O'Reilly - 8 / 10

EA Sports College Football 25 makes up for some wonky menus and a lack of tentpole modes by bringing the good stuff where it matters. The gridiron action here is fast and snappy, offense feels fantastically responsive, and defensive plays are easier to read and consider thanks to a combination of clear layouts and more time and space on the ball. It looks great, sounds great, plays great and has thusly become our (American) football game of choice going forward. Madden 25, it's over to you.

Screen Rant - Sean Migalla - 4 / 5

Being the first college football game in a decade also works heavily in favor of College Football 25. Were this an annual franchise, elements like its clunky UI may be more of a sticking point. However, as it stands now, College Football 25 will bea must-play for any hardcore college football fans, and the excitement of the new release helps players ignore some of its flaws.

Shacknews - Donovan Erskine - 8 / 10

EA Sports College Football 25 succeeds at setting itself apart from Madden with new mechanics and systems that change the way you play the game. Wear & Tear forces a new kind of strategy, and the changes to passing and player movement open the door for unforgettable plays. There are some cracks in the presentation, the game needs more songs, and Dynasty could use a tad more polish, but College Football 25 has delivered a level of fun that I haven’t gotten from a football sim in years.

Twinfinite - Connor Wright - 4 / 5

Even with the immense weight of its own legacy on its shoulders, EA Sports College Football 25 delivers on every single one of its promises - and then some. While EA couldn't help but underhand returning fans of the series with Ultimate Team, they provide more than enough alternatives for those who wish to leave the mode on the bench.

Washington Post - Herb Scribner - 88 / 100

The game is truly a combination of work hard, play harder — sounds a lot like college.

• Hype 2

• Keyser_Soze changed the title to EA Sports College Football 25 | Out NOW! (Reviews From OpenCritic Posted / 88 Metascore)

I've been fooling around in practice mode just seeing what you can do pre-snap, getting a feel for the pass rush. I think it gives you a pretty good idea of what to expect when you play for real, or maybe check what needs adjusting (slider wise)

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I've been fooling around in practice mode just seeing what you can do pre-snap, getting a feel for the pass rush. I think it gives you a pretty good idea of what to expect when you play for real, or maybe check what needs adjusting (slider wise)

I’ve practiced the RPO but I’m just not good at executing it. Good thing GA Tech runs mostly the spread and pistol. Sometimes I’ll run a wide out bubble screen with the RPO. I’m totally addicted to this game! I need to try some of these mini game challenges. Maybe today when u get back. 

• Hype 1

43 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Got my first 4 star recruit! This is big! Malik Mannelly. A 6’ 2”  302 lbs. defensive tackle. Got me a beast for the middle of my D. 

spacer.png

I didn't realize you recruit HS level. So are these kids made up or real athletes?

1 minute ago, Best said:

I didn't realize you recruit HS level. So are these kids made up or real athletes?

I'm sure they are fictional. The recruiting is a time sink but damn its so fun to tinker with all the options and land that big time player.

• Halal 1

17 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Michigan won the national championship by beating Texas A&M 20 - 13

The second year Michigan won the national championship again 36 - 33 over Oregon

But the 3rd year Clemson beat Nebraska for the National Championship :o

• Shocked 1

19 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

The second year Michigan won the national championship again 36 - 33 over Oregon

But the 3rd year Clemson beat Nebraska for the National Championship :o

The game is so realistic and authentic. Wait…did you say Nebraska?  The game is unrealistic and arcadish. 

• Haha 1

Notre Dame destroyed my Yellow Jackets last night 59-14. They were ranked #9 and the difference in speed and power was overwhelming. Couldn't run the ball at all but I made up for it by throwing 5 interceptions. On the positive side I did go into Blacksburg the very next week and beat Virginia Tech 

My QB is finally a starter. First game was against Miami though and that was difficult and got shut out. I thought, "man is the game too hard?" then the next week was against one of those no name Division 2 teams and I won that quite easily so seems like Miami at home is just a tough game. :p

28 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

My QB is finally a starter. First game was against Miami though and that was difficult and got shut out. I thought, "man is the game too hard?" then the next week was against one of those no name Division 2 teams and I won that quite easily so seems like Miami at home is just a tough game. :p

Any Top 25 program is going to have superior players at almost every position, You'll have to play a perfect game to have a chance to win. 

4 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Any Top 25 program is going to have superior players at almost every position, You'll have to play a perfect game to have a chance to win. 

Not happening with Virginia and an overall 70 QB. :p

I think I goofed up though, he should be better but I didn't level up my practice attribute, or whatever it is called, on my redshirt year. Basically that's free skill points. So like I had no skill points.

I'd like to try again and never study, because it seems like studying is tied to play time. I was a 3rd string QB that never got any playing time his first 2 years, but had a high GPA. Next time I'm going to load up on them skill points.

Won my bowl game. I absolutely am obsessed with this game. I fucking love it. It’s all I’ve played all weekend. It took me away from Call of Duty which is really saying something.

spacer.png 

• Hype 1

I was going up against James Madison last night and had a pretty hype ending. I was down by a TD and XP, late in the 4th quarter 21 to 14. I came back to score a TD with like 8 seconds left (so many holding calls!) but then the coach wants to go for 2 for the win instead of the tie. I handed the ball off and the running back barely got in and I ended up winning the game 22 - 21. Exciting stuff but not a great sign for the season if a game against James Madison ends like that. :s

• Hype 1

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I was going up against James Madison last night and had a pretty hype ending. I was down by a TD and XP, late in the 4th quarter 21 to 14. I came back to score a TD with like 8 seconds left (so many holding calls!) but then the coach wants to go for 2 for the win instead of the tie. I handed the ball off and the running back barely got in and I ended up winning the game 22 - 21. Exciting stuff but not a great sign for the season if a game against James Madison ends like that. :s

I can’t praise this game enough. 

• True 1

WWW.GAMESINDUSTRY.BIZ

EA Sports College Football 25 sold over 2 million copies of its premium edition, which offered access to the game three…

"[It] looks like EA Sports College Football 25 may indeed be the mass market breakout hit this console generation really needs right now," Piscatella wrote.

Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter was also surprised with the result, saying that this level of engagement has outdone what previous college football games used to do before the series entered a hiatus.

Pachter said Wedbush Morgan is doubling its sales estimate for the game from 1.5 million units to 3.2 million units as a result.

• Shocked 1

The surprise at the success is what surprises me tbh. People are dying for as much quality football stuff as they can get. You release a game for the first time in 10 years of probably what, the second most popular variation of a sport in the country? Yeah, it’s gonna do well if it’s a quality product. Now, if it had been total dog shit maybe they sour people for next year’s version. 

32 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

The surprise at the success is what surprises me tbh. People are dying for as much quality football stuff as they can get. You release a game for the first time in 10 years of probably what, the second most popular variation of a sport in the country? Yeah, it’s gonna do well if it’s a quality product. Now, if it had been total dog shit maybe they sour people for next year’s version. 

EA: Wait, people liked this series?

It's actually interesting hearing game journalists who are not sports fans talk about it. Like on the Nextlander podcast most of them were ignorant of the popularity of the sport in general, calling it amateur sports or comparing it to the XFL or something. Then others saying you can only be a fan if you go to the school, you can't root for a team if you didn't go there, and things like that. All misconceptions.

I mean you don't have to root for an NFL team to enjoy the game, same with the college game, you just wanna see some football and generally it is more fun to watch than the offshoot leagues.

• True 1