EA Sports College Football 25 | Out NOW! (Reviews From OpenCritic Posted / 88 Metascore)

Keyser_Soze

4 hours ago, Best said:

What difficulty setting do you have it set on?

All-American. 6 minute quarters. No accelerated clock. The new revamped passing where you can place the ball into tight areas.  

• Hype 1

46 minutes ago, Biggie said:

All-American. 6 minute quarters. No accelerated clock. The new revamped passing where you can place the ball into tight areas.  

Damn. Heisman is next up for difficulty which is the hardest.

So does 6 minute quarters simulate a pretty realistic game in terms of scoring?

Like in NBA 2K 5 minute quarters gives you a realistic NBA score which is obviously 12 minutes in real life. 

41 minutes ago, Best said:

Damn. Heisman is next up for difficulty which is the hardest.

So does 6 minute quarters simulate a pretty realistic game in terms of scoring?

Like in NBA 2K 5 minute quarters gives you a realistic NBA score which is obviously 12 minutes in real life. 

Six seems perfect to me. You could go 7 but I’ve never played a game using 6 minute quarters and felt it was to short. Heisman is out of my skill grade. I throw so many interceptions. 

• Hype 1

I do hope they fix the sim logic in this game, not saying things like these aren't likely to happen but they are too common.

1. Defense giving up huge leads. Like I'm up 21 to 3 or something at halftime, but the computer decides to make it a tie game

2. I'm in the 4th quarter, running down the clock to take the lead. I take the lead to go ahead by a TD but left 20 seconds on the clock and somehow the computer scores and we go to overtime.

3. Giving up a bunch of points early then playing lights out the rest of the game. Very odd, especially against good teams, yet they will give up a lot of points to bad teams. :p

The 20 second one was was a frustrating one to me because it was me vs Pitt and they somehow tie the game and we go into overtime. then we go into double overtime and I throw a pick and lose.

I beat Virginia Tech the next week, almost the same scenario but at the end of the game they don't score and I get to take a knee to end the game.

Also, questionable game plan by the coach. The guy seems like he wants to run it no matter what but you can't audible or call any other play. We were going for 2, got a holding call but he still wanted to go for 2 but it was a HB direct snap from the 10 yard line. There was no world in which this was going to work, and it didn't.

9 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I like 8 minutes with accelerated clock at 20.

I don't use accelerated clock because I like to have as much time as I can to make audibles and line/coverage adjustments. 

3 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I do hope they fix the sim logic in this game, not saying things like these aren't likely to happen but they are too common.

1. Defense giving up huge leads. Like I'm up 21 to 3 or something at halftime, but the computer decides to make it a tie game

2. I'm in the 4th quarter, running down the clock to take the lead. I take the lead to go ahead by a TD but left 20 seconds on the clock and somehow the computer scores and we go to overtime.

3. Giving up a bunch of points early then playing lights out the rest of the game. Very odd, especially against good teams, yet they will give up a lot of points to bad teams. :p

The 20 second one was was a frustrating one to me because it was me vs Pitt and they somehow tie the game and we go into overtime. then we go into double overtime and I throw a pick and lose.

I beat Virginia Tech the next week, almost the same scenario but at the end of the game they don't score and I get to take a knee to end the game.

Also, questionable game plan by the coach. The guy seems like he wants to run it no matter what but you can't audible or call any other play. We were going for 2, got a holding call but he still wanted to go for 2 but it was a HB direct snap from the 10 yard line. There was no world in which this was going to work, and it didn't.

This stuff happens to me in Dynasty Mode occasionally but its not the norm. I do agree with you about the CPU about clock management. They are incredible when it comes to being able to drive the length of the field in very limited time to either tie or win games. Even if I have been dominating them on defense they will suddenly become unstoppable. I keep hearing a huge update is coming.  But all that being said, the game to me is the best sports video game ever made. 9.5/10

3 minutes ago, Biggie said:

This stuff happens to me in Dynasty Mode occasionally but its not the norm. I do agree with you about the CPU about clock management. They are incredible when it comes to being able to drive the length of the field in very limited time to either tie or win games. Even if I have been dominating them on defense they will suddenly become unstoppable. I keep hearing a huge update is coming.  But all that being said, the game to me is the best sports video game ever made. 9.5/10

Well in a regular game some of these things aren't so bad. When you're playing road to glory they are worse because at least in a regular game you can control the defense or at least see what the computer is doing. In RTG you score, press continue and see the sim and just see them somehow drive the length of the field in 20 seconds. Like, I guess the computer is awful at kicking too. I get into FG range and then see no points go up and say WTF?

Oh another thing, it doesn't seem like the computer runs the ball in the season simulation. I'm Virginia (as you know) but somehow have the leading rusher in the nation and he's only got like 700 yards.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Well in a regular game some of these things aren't so bad. When you're playing road to glory they are worse because at least in a regular game you can control the defense or at least see what the computer is doing. In RTG you score, press continue and see the sim and just see them somehow drive the length of the field in 20 seconds. Like, I guess the computer is awful at kicking too. I get into FG range and then see no points go up and say WTF?

Oh another thing, it doesn't seem like the computer runs the ball in the season simulation. I'm Virginia (as you know) but somehow have the leading rusher in the nation and he's only got like 700 yards.

Oh okay I only play Dynasty Mode. Not having a say in what to call on offence/defense would suck. 

So here is the national rushing stats at the end of the year (before the bowl games)

#1 Rusher in the country has 997 yards and 13 TDs, my guy dropped to 3rd with 902 yards and 6 TDs

Keep in mind, IRL last year 45 players in college football had over 1,000 yards

Also funny enough no player from Virginia was even in the top 100 in rushing. :p  (393 yards was their leading rusher :sick: )

3 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

So here is the national rushing stats at the end of the year (before the bowl games)

#1 Rusher in the country has 997 yards and 13 TDs, my guy dropped to 3rd with 902 yards and 6 TDs

Also funny enough no player from Virginia was even in the top 100 in rushing. :p  (393 yards was their leading rusher :sick: )

So is the game just not as realistic or as true to life as real college football?

42 minutes ago, Best said:

So is the game just not as realistic or as true to life as real college football?

When you play the game it's good. This is purely just simulating the games, it seems not great. They addressed this in the post they had for the upcoming patch regarding "super sim logic"

One other thing I might have to check up on, I think they (my team) are using the starting QB on punt returns.  :confused:

• Halal 1

23 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

When you play the game it's good. This is purely just simulating the games, it seems not great. They addressed this in the post they had for the upcoming patch regarding "super sim logic"

One other thing I might have to check up on, I think they (my team) are using the starting QB on punt returns.  :confused:

I see what you're saying. And lol at the QB returning punt returns. I've been watching a lot of videos on this game and it's getting a lot of praise minus some hiccups. 

8 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I give them a pass on trying to make stats anything close to realistic. I think that’s too big of an ask. Just get the final scores more appropriate. 

• True 1

7 hours ago, Best said:

I see what you're saying. And lol at the QB returning punt returns. I've been watching a lot of videos on this game and it's getting a lot of praise minus some hiccups. 

It’s not perfect but like I keep saying it’s the best sports video game I personally have ever played. I love it. It’s all I have played since it came out. Haven’t even turned on my PS5. 

• Halal 1

I feel like this game could have used another couple of months of polish to be possibly the best football game of all time. But everything works ALMOST how it should, but doesn't quite. So everything has a touch of brokenness, but nothing really game destroying. Maybe with more player feedback, they can release some patches to fix various problems I've already encountered a bunch.

No matter what, it is very fun!

National Championship was Kentucky vs Cincinnati with Kentucky taking it 41 - 22. The QB on Cincinnati won the Heisman as well. :p

Wow. The College Football playoffs Georgia lost to Middle Tennesse State in the Peach Bowl and MTS was a 4 seed :lol:

• Shocked 1

9 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I feel like this game could have used another couple of months of polish to be possibly the best football game of all time. But everything works ALMOST how it should, but doesn't quite. So everything has a touch of brokenness, but nothing really game destroying. Maybe with more player feedback, they can release some patches to fix various problems I've already encountered a bunch.

No matter what, it is very fun!

There is a huge patch coming. No word on when but it’s in the works. I hear what you’re saying about the polish but honestly I could not be anymore happier with what EA Sports gave us here. I was expecting a lot less and got alot more. 

• Hugs 1

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

National Championship was Kentucky vs Cincinnati with Kentucky taking it 41 - 22. The QB on Cincinnati won the Heisman as well. :p

Wow. The College Football playoffs Georgia lost to Middle Tennesse State in the Peach Bowl and MTS was a 4 seed :lol:

Can’t wait for the new playoff system this year. I think we will see several upset surprises. Don’t know about Middle Tennessee State beating Georgia though lol. 

• True 1

12 hours ago, Biggie said:

It’s not perfect but like I keep saying it’s the best sports video game I personally have ever played. I love it. It’s all I have played since it came out. Haven’t even turned on my PS5. 

Yea I only hear great things about it. It will be interesting if Madden can contend with it. Is it the same teams making both games?

Just now, Best said:

Yea I only hear great things about it. It will be interesting if Madden can contend with it. Is it the same teams making both games?

Different teams. Madden is much more methodical and simulation. NCAA is wide open slightly on the arcade side football fun. Both will be great. I’ll enjoy both. Thanks for Madden!! 

• Hype 1

Just now, Biggie said:

Different teams. Madden is much more methodical and simulation. NCAA is wide open slightly on the arcade side football fun. Both will be great. I’ll enjoy both. Thanks for Madden!! 

Hmm...Well I'm sure Madden will be perfectly fine. 

2 hours ago, Best said:

Hmm...Well I'm sure Madden will be perfectly fine. 

I have very high expectations now since I see that EA can make a great game when they put forth effort. 

• True 1

Not much there that I have encountered but at least they are fixing things.

Actually interesting seeing so many people roughing the kicker. I blocked an extra point once, the computer ran into my punter once. But what I've seen a lot is face masks. A lot of them.

35 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:
WWW.GAMESPOT.COM

"In the absence of AI, we simply would not have been able to deliver College Football at the level we did."

So instead of 9 or 10 generic faces for everyone they just made hundreds of AI assisted generic faces.

Bored Bugs Bunny GIF by MOODMAN

12 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

So instead of 9 or 10 generic faces for everyone they just made hundreds of AI assisted generic faces.

Bored Bugs Bunny GIF by MOODMAN

I think the AI has made the cpu tons better. I could just be imaging it but it seems like the computer adapts to what you are calling and trying to do. They also seem to make smart decisions when the time calls for it. Am I crazy??

1 minute ago, Biggie said:

I think the AI has made the cpu tons better. I could just be imaging it but it seems like the computer adapts to what you are calling and trying to do. They also seem to make smart decisions when the time calls for it. Am I crazy??

That has nothing to do with what he's talking about. He's talking about generative AI and how it helped make player faces.

It's somewhat nonsense because if you've spent any time with an AI model it takes almost as much time to train the AI and generate a good asset than it does to create yourself.

• Halal 1