Twisters, "A Current-Day Chapter of the 1996 Blockbuster, Twister." | Starring Daisy Edgar-Jones and Glen Powell | In Theaters July 19

On 7/20/2024 at 12:41 AM, skillzdadirecta said:

I'm not surprised... this movie was definitely targeted to middle 'murica. 

That is also where all the tornados are...

• Haha 1

I had a great time with Twisters. It delivers on being a new formulation of what made Twister fun and memorable and it certainly delivers on the Twisters themselves. If one were to take this movie at face value, you'd have to walk out and wonder how there could possibly be anything left of Oklahoma by now. But, of course, you don't take it at face value. You go to see the spectacle of large things getting sucked up into tornados, the crazy side characters they cook up for maximum impact with minimal screen time, the RAM trucks that prove impossibly resilient, that one out of place dude who is the only one properly terrified, and because Daisy Edgar-Jones and Glen Powell are beautiful people to ride out multiple disasters with.

It's big and loud, and while it's dumb it's usually not so dumb that you feel stupider for having witnessed it. It properly centers characters in order to make you actually care about the multitude of disasters they live through. It's a good time in the movie theater.

You also go so that Lee Isaac Chung gets a blank check to do his next movie. This man clearly well cut out to be on the "one for them, one for me" model of filmmaking. 

• Hype 1

4 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I usually roll my eyes at the idea of 4DX, but I definitely would’ve done it for this movie if it was an option around here. Since renewing my AMC A-List, my default is their Dolby theater whenever it’s an option. It’s the overall best viewing experience in town. 

• stepee 1

4 hours ago, TheLeon said:

I usually roll my eyes at the idea of 4DX, but I definitely would’ve done it for this movie if it was an option around here. Since renewing my AMC A-List, my default is their Dolby theater whenever it’s an option. It’s the overall best viewing experience in town. 

If ever there was a movie that was made for 4D it's this one. I can tell it's going to be one of those experiences my nephew never forgets. 

• Hype 1

• 4 weeks later...

So I watched this with my brother over the weekend and we didn't enjoy this much. I watched the first one right beforehand, which if you ignore some random tonal imbalances still really slaps. This felt like a pale imitation of the original movie with far less practical effects of shit being thrown around like trucks and debris with a lot more direct CG of the tornadoes (when there were some, not a lot of twisters in this movie called Twisters) and the chemistry of the supporting cast, which is legendary in the first film, is barely there in this film. The film meanders, initially presenting itself as an inverse of the dichotomy of the first movie (good, lo-fi tornado chasers vs. the corporation bought team led by Cary Elwes) but then the film ignores that to just ride on Glen Powell's charisma and little else. 

The movie forgets about the evil land-buying plotline altogether, Powell randomly shows up at Daisy Ridley-Jones' house with no way to have gotten there and worst of all, the movie is mostly just kind of boring. Glen Powell is great but in general the film hits the few same plot beats over and over. Alien: Romulus was a much better legacy-quel than this was. But this movie, Rebel Moon, and Romulus all have the same problem: no quick way to characterize the supporting cast with banter and chemistry. In Twister, you have Alan Ruck and Philip Seymour Hoffman and Jeremy Davies, etc. dropping one liners and bantering with each other either over the radio or in the background of nearly every scene (Alien and particularly Aliens does a good job of this too). In these new movies the background supporting cast hardly interacts and there's very little banter or chemistry, the little there is does a basic job of outlining their different personalities but there's nothing like: "the suck zone" or "we need meat sustenance" or the hand-knife test in Aliens in these movies. 

I didn't hate or even dislike Twisters but the praise it's getting is strange. Twister dealt with adults and had the backbone of a serious dramatic core to it. Twisters comes off as mostly disinterested in itself by comparison, there was no weight to the proceedings and the overly CG tornadoes was lame. I also didn't feel the "epic" nature of the tornadoes in this, not sure if that's due to sound design and effects or music. In Twister, whenever something truly awe-inspiring came up on screen they'd have this deep vocal choral, almost church-like track kick in and it felt like "the finger of God" and here tornadoes just come and go with little of that awe there.

• stepee 1
  • Thanks 1
  • True 1

6 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I didn't hate or even dislike Twisters but the praise it's getting is strange. Twister dealt with adults and had the backbone of a serious dramatic core to it. Twisters comes off as mostly disinterested in itself by comparison, there was no weight to the proceedings and the overly CC tornadoes was lame. I also didn't feel the "epic" nature of the tornadoes in this, not sure if that's due to sound design and effects or music. In Twister, whenever something truly awe-inspiring came up on screen they'd have this deep vocal choral, almost church-like track kick in and it felt like "the finger of God" and here tornadoes just come and go with little of that awe there.

The country music choices for the score were not only awful, but overly subdued, adding to some of Twisters' blandness. I decided to re-watch the original afterwards; the banter intermixed with dramatic moments along with the highs and lows of the score make it a fun thrill ride and carries the movie more than the special effects. The sequel is mostly fine though, and because it's inoffensive it's riding the nostalgic coattails of the original.

I still can't buy the premise of disrupting the storm with whatever can fit into the back of a pickup truck.

• Halal 1

I ended up seeing the movie a couple weeks back with the fam. As an action movie I thought it was fun. As sort of a…super fan of Twister (because I saw the movie at a younger age and it quickly lead to an obsession with tornadoes and storms) I thought the movie sucked. The first movie felt grounded in reality.

We go from trying not to die while trying to get these sensors in the path of the tornado. To Twisters, where we are driving into a tornado having a party while live streaming it? It’s a freaking tornado, show a little respect huh? The whole concept of killing a tornado with their trailer full of whatever seemed way too far fetched. 

My wife and I both thought Helen Hunt should have turned out to be the girls mom. I think during the rodeo scene, the girl was even wearing an almost identical outfit that Jo wore in the first movie. Like a white shirt with khaki pants.
I later read Bill Paxton’s son had a cameo in the movie. I got a little excited to see who he was and it turns out he was the annoying guy at the motel whining about the internet or power being out. Then they kill him and the girl as their pickup truck got sucked up into the tornado.

In the end, I feel like I got baited in with the “Twister” name.

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, elbobo said:

Couldn't believe it made it go streaming so fast

It over performed pretty substantially what Uni expected, but it also keeps holding up week over week higher than anticipated. I think they would have gone 45 days if they knew what it would actually do.