Silent Hill 2 Remake (PS5/PC | 2024) - update (08/19): "Story" trailer

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Silent Hill 2 Remake (PS5/PC | 2024) - "Combat Reveal" trailer

Yeah. It's walmart RE2make. The one thing pretty much no one wanted but fully expected to happen when it was team Bloober. I had never heard of them so I was holding out hope but everyone else was right.

• 3 months later...
9 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

The internet is back at it again... :/

Man, just an article full of bad takes, from both the author and the people they're quote mining tweets from.

Author's like "SHE'S THE NEW EDDIE BE NICE TO HER"
Idiot Twitter users are like: "THE WOKE AGENDA IS HERE TO MAKE ANGELA UGLY"

And it's like, no. Angela was never "beautiful" to begin with, and the new model just looks like shit. It's not complicated. It's just a bad model, and looks less like a redesign and more like... well, actually, check this out. It actually looks like there's multiple Angela models in the same trailer:

mGZLvtr.pngLoJY5YZ.png4E7cJjx.pngRuvP2Bk.png

At parts she looks like a weird parody version of herself, a literal child on the floor, and a reasonably normal looking woman, but in none of them does she look anything like the somewhat gaunt, angular and clearly near middle-aged woman.

If anything, they made Laura look like the new Eddie.

7U2JZ4B.png

Not really sure what they're going for, but so far the only character that looks somewhat okay is James. Maria's model is mostly okay, but her change of clothes kind of misses the point of her character as

Spoiler

James' sexual frustration and the somewhat toxic view of women he sometimes has.

Whole thing's kinda looking iffy to be honest. At least the environments are real nice?

23 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I think DuskGolem is the only one excited for this game. He has some interesting breakdowns, and not like a mental breakdown like the supposed Silent Hill 2 fans are having.

I don't get why anyone's getting all up in arms over it to begin with, trusting Konami or Bloober team to do anything good with this is insane to me, lol. And being surprised that it's looking weird is just not paying attention to the last 10 years of Konami.

At this point I think the best way to look at it is like watching your favorite washed up celebrity getting into a train wreck.

'Animations are bad' are the same as 'knees too sharp'. Forest for the trees and also the reason gaming budgets are stupid unsustainable now, just to satisfy a meagre who cry one day for games to win an Oscar. Anyway, game will be fine. The amount of revisionism from the faithful is nauseating. Walls not creepy enough? That's SH3 idiot. Do you really want to go back and play the SH2 where the enemies were largely non-actors, except for seldom SHOCK SCENES (they did exist in the original one, like the two armed nurses in the that one room in the hospital). I also really liked the scene with the mass of lying figures in that one trailer. That's some good claustrophobic pandemonium.

• True 1

As someone who never played the original, I wonder if I'd be more forgiving of things some fans would take issue with, and if it'll just play like an HD version of the original. I can't imagine the original plays all that great these days. 

54 minutes ago, Brick said:

As someone who never played the original, I wonder if I'd be more forgiving of things some fans would take issue with, and if it'll just play like an HD version of the original. I can't imagine the original plays all that great these days. 

SH2 basically plays like an upgussied PS1 Horror game. A lot like FFIV on the SNES was to FFVI. It's ok. All the enemies are just bullet sponges really. Just bear in mind the 'vaunted' vocalization may not strike you as such.

2 hours ago, Brick said:

Silent Hill is lightning in a bottle.  It’s a series where the limitations and compromises add to the experience when they work.  The main character being a clumsy weakling makes sense, wanting to run from nightmare creatures instead of kill them makes sense, everything just being on the wrong side of the uncanny valley makes sense.  It is an otherworldly place of manifested trauma, it should be wrong.  

You can’t do that sort of thing on purpose and you kind of can’t make games that way anymore.  You forgave a lot of Silent Hill’s faults because they weren’t that far removed from better playing games of the time.  They weren’t as polished, as well acted, as smoothly animated, or controlled as well, but they were in the ballpark.  You release a game like that now intentionally and it’s going to get murdered for it.

If you have never played Silent Hill one or two, you probably will never miss whatever rough edges get sanded off, but you probably also won’t understand why they’re so beloved either.  

• Halal 4

1 minute ago, LazyPiranha said:

Silent Hill is lightning in a bottle.  It’s a series where the limitations and compromises add to the experience when they work.  The main character being a clumsy weakling makes sense, wanting to run from nightmare creatures instead of kill them makes sense, everything just being on the wrong side of the uncanny valley makes sense.  It is an otherworldly place of manifested trauma, it should be wrong.  

You can’t do that sort of thing on purpose and you kind of can’t make games that way anymore.  You forgave a lot of Silent Hill’s faults because they weren’t that far removed from better playing games of the time.  They weren’t as polished, as well acted, as smoothly animated, or controlled as well, but they were in the ballpark.  You release a game like that now intentionally and it’s going to get murdered for it.

If you have never played Silent Hill one or two, you probably will never miss whatever rough edges get sanded off, but you probably also won’t understand why they’re so beloved either.  

This is a poetic post. Damn. 

3 hours ago, Brick said:

As said by LazyPiranha, there's a lot more going on. But it's also never really been how they play. Silent Hill is heavily about mood, vibe and atmosphere. Different games in the series do things differently, but 2 in particular is known for its surreal, dreamlike voice acting, for example. And incredible sound design, often quite subtle but unsettling.

I've never subscribed to "a horror game should play like shit because it makes you feel weak," I can play horror games that play poorly, (old RE titles, most SH titles) but I personally think it often adds a layer of frustration, not helplessness or fear.

That said, this remake looks to be missing the mark on multiple levels. The sound design is now very Hollywood-esque, with fucking stingers when you first see blood or something.  While I'm sure old SH games had stingers in reaction to seeing things from time to time (none come to mind, but I don't replay them often) what really sticks out to me when I remember any playthrough of the original is something fucking awful appearing on the screen, and just being met with either dead silence, some awful ambient sounds, or some grindy industrial music indicating a boss fight. It's a small sounding thing but man it made it much more scary than a dude mangling a violin.

Another issue is the voice acting. They seem to think they're "fixing" it by having everyone play their roles super straight, again like Hollywood. Just very matter-of-fact line delivery, it makes it very boring to listen to, to me at least. When people spoke in SH2, you often felt something was... off, with them. Not that the line delivery or acting was bad, but that the people in question were very much focused on their thoughts and weren't just eagerly delivering exposition to you.

Further, the combat looks to be a weird almost beat-for-beat rip of Resident Evil 2 Remake( and 3, and 4)'s system. Something about it looks... less responsive and more clunky? Hard to say from the footage. I mean, I'd still consider a clunky rip off of RE2Remake to be a big improvement, so I'm not terribly upset about that.

A critical thing is the camera angles. While pre-rendered backgrounds with unique fixed angles was iconic to Resident Evil, I'd argue that it was more important in Silent Hill. Silent Hill never used pre-rendered backgrounds (to my recollection) but they still did a lot of fixed camera angles, and that together with the wild, eerie soundscape and general sense of dread could often make literally nothing happening but you walking around a dark hallway almost overwhelming, provided you were playing alone in the dark and not like at the beach like a psycho. Everything worked together so well, it was awesome.

The games weren't perfect, not a one of them, but they very much were their own things, singing their own tune, not following any trends, etc. The bones of "survival horror" were the closest they got to that, and they took it in their own direction.

It's hard to say whether you'd enjoy them or not, or whether you'd enjoy the remake more. The best current way to play is the PC version of 2 using the Enhanced Edition patch, which brings back all the missing shit from the PS2 original that the vanilla PC release is missing, and doesn't have any of the awful terribleness of the HD remasters which are just fucking dog shit. Second best way to play is on original PS2 hardware. 

• Halal 3

Silent Hill fans will twist themselves into pretzels to convince people the voice acting is good. Like the guy who voiced James was an untrained actor, just some guy who came in to read lines. And people like the fact he was just some guy, but just because he's bad doesn't make it good, which is what a lot of silent hill is, this bad thing is charming thus it's good so if you modernize it then it's bad.

Silent Hill fans don't deserve this game.

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Silent Hill fans will twist themselves into pretzels to convince people the voice acting is good. Like the guy who voiced James was an untrained actor, just some guy who came in to read lines. And people like the fact he was just some guy, but just because he's bad doesn't make it good, which is what a lot of silent hill is, this bad thing is charming thus it's good so if you modernize it then it's bad.

Ah, you've come to tell us it's bad. Would you like to show some metrics by which you claim it's bad?

Is it because a "guy came in to read lines?"

No one ever said it was charming, so you're already off on the wrong foot.

10 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

There are some genuinely good performances in Silent Hill 2.  James’ performance is hit or miss at best.  I don’t think anyone would argue that the performances are great in a vacuum, just that the ways they are off for with the theme and tone of the game in a way that they wouldn’t if this was just a more normal story.  It’s like the line reads in Dark Souls or Bloodborne, they’re not GOOD if you just hard them in isolation but they’re going for something and it works.  

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Silent Hill 2 Remake (PS5/PC | 2024) - update (06/03): "Gameplay" trailer (14 minutes)
On 6/3/2024 at 10:26 AM, LazyPiranha said:

There are some genuinely good performances in Silent Hill 2.  James’ performance is hit or miss at best.  I don’t think anyone would argue that the performances are great in a vacuum, just that the ways they are off for with the theme and tone of the game in a way that they wouldn’t if this was just a more normal story.  It’s like the line reads in Dark Souls or Bloodborne, they’re not GOOD if you just hard them in isolation but they’re going for something and it works.  

It was pure Lynchian disaffected hollowness, from the performance to the mixing. Not quite the miracle some claim to be, not to mention the triphop/illbient sountrack.

I liked Silent Hill 2 when it came out, but I never viewed it as this masterpiece like others did. I always liked SH1 better.

It's an interesting take, because SH characters have always looked "off." And I think that was intentional. But these characters just look awful.

• stepee 1

• 2 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Silent Hill 2 Remake (PS5/PC | 2024) - update (08/19): "Story" trailer