RIP Xbox

EternallDarkness

Yes. Grab an Xbox One X, sign-in and plug your old HDD in and it should start just fine. Also just make your new one one your home one and use the old one as long as its not bad for netflix and other media.  Consider it an unexpected upgrade.

Also what HDD do you use I'm really curious. 

6 minutes ago, HGLatinBoy said:

Yes. Grab an Xbox One X, sign-in and plug your old HDD in and it should start just fine. Also just make your new one one your home one and use the old one as long as its not bad for netflix and other media.  Consider it an unexpected upgrade.

Also what HDD do you use I'm really curious. 

seagate I believe. I don't have a 4K tv and have no plans to pick one up anytime soon so I doubt I'll get the X

29 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

:cry: it would seem my xbox has died probably from playing so much Forza. It started freezing for a few moments here and there over the last day or so and now I keep getting "GAME X took too long to start' or some such nonsense. 

So if I pick up a new one do I just plug my external drive into the new one? 

Have you tried doing a hard reset or restore before giving up on it. I occasionally get the "Game X took too long to load" but I just try again and it works.

14 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

I've done the rest a number of times. What is the restore and what do you think that would do?

The restore function pretty must resets everything and it will make you download the latest firmware upon boot up. So it pretty much makes it into a brand new xbox software wise.

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/console/reset-console-to-factory-defaults

Just make sure you move all your games and apps to your external so you don't have to redownload them. Have the restore function erase everything on the console. If you are still having issues. It could be your HDD so check that out. If you are still having issues after that then yeah you should probably get a new Xbox :p 

1 hour ago, EternallDarkness said:

seagate I believe. I don't have a 4K tv and have no plans to pick one up anytime soon so I doubt I'll get the X

You dont' need a 4K TV to enjoy the benefits of an Xbox One X. I don't have a 4K TV either but I still wouldn't buy a shitty old Xbox One from 2013 in 2018.

Before you were getting 720p'ish at 60 fps and 1080p'ish at 30 fps. With an Xbox One X you'll get 1080p at 60 fps with better textures and effects and in the future you'll get 4K'ish at 30 fps

But seriously the 1080p 60 fps is probably the most compelling reason to get a Xbox One X aside from 4K movies

20 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

Even if you do not get a 4k tv the X still gives you benefits over the One and S. It downsamples from 4k to 1080p, so you can still get a bump in graphics. Frame rates are more stable on X. Faster load times too. 

Dude even doe it seems like your problem is fixed you would greatly benefit from getting the X.   I dont have a 4k Tv and I can tell you the difference is extreme.  The Supersampling down from 4k makes it totally worth it.  I dont even want to play the original xbox anymore.   The load times are probably twice as fast. 

47 minutes ago, TomCat said:

Dude even doe it seems like your problem is fixed you would greatly benefit from getting the X.   I dont have a 4k Tv and I can tell you the difference is extreme.  The Supersampling down from 4k makes it totally worth it.  I dont even want to play the original xbox anymore.   The load times are probably twice as fast. 

I probably could benefit from an X, but I'll wait til it's less than 500