~*D1P's Games of 2024*~

Q3yl7P5.jpeg

QNIOEBb.jpeg

Very redundant to New Super Mario Bros Wii, which I played recently.  I enjoyed this one a little bit more.  There's less emphasis on throwing blocks, shaking or tilting your controller, etc.  And the squirrel power is a great fit for NSB's floatier, less responsive controls.  The subtle improvement to the presentation also matters more than I thought it would.  It's a cozier game, easier and more fun to return to, where as Wii felt like I was trying to push through it by the end.  The levels in U have a better 'flow' to them, even if the ideas aren't that novel.

I'd take points away for a worse final boss, and the ending world not being as difficult as it probably should be.  Neither of these games really come close to touching Super Mario 3D World in that respect.  That game isn't traditional Mario, but it's better than anything in the *New* Series.

8.5/10

2024 Games

Final Fantasy XVI - 8.5/10

Tinykin - 8/10

Evan's Remains - 7.5/10

Crisis Core Final Fantasy VII: Reunion - 7/10

Castle of Illusion Remake - 7.5/10

FF7R Episode Intermission - 8.5/10

Telsagrad 2 - 7.5/10

Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth - 9.5/10

New Super Mario Bros U - 8.5/10

• Thanks 1

Holy crap, apparently I haven’t properly beaten any big games this year until now.  Through Delta IOS I’ve been replaying a bunch of NES games and beating a bunch I never beat as a kid.

Final Fantasy -

I never beat this as a kid and honestly, I don’t know how anyone could have ever beaten this without a guide.  It’s so easy to completely screw yourself from your very first choices and your next steps are often totally opaque.  

Anticipation - 

What a piece of shit.  Turning up the difficulty just makes the computer absolutely psychic.

Rescue: The Embassy Mission - 

A thoroughly mediocre game with an absolute banger of a song, and also you get to play as a dude named Jumbo.

Iron Sword: Wizards and Warriors 2 -

My fond childhood memories of this game did not include the fact that it absolutely hates you and will kill you constantly.  I could barely get past the first stage from all of the birds flying out of nowhere and offing me.

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde -

Yes I beat this just to say I did.  Yes it’s bad.  No it was not worth the curiosity.

Now as for games made in this century.

Lies of P - 

I feel like most souls and adjacent games start really frustratingly hard, but then the natural power curve makes things easier over time with the occasional asshole boss to make it spicy.  By contrast, I feel like Lies of P kept the enemy power curve on par with yours so it was equally difficult if not more difficult as time goes on.  I spent almost a week on and off working on the last few bosses.  

It’s a fun game with a really distinct style to it, and like most souls games by the time the credits rolled I barely knew what the hell was going on.  

• Halal 1

2024 Games

Final Fantasy 7 Integrade

More Starcraft online

Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney

Final Fantasy 7: ReBirth

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Dual Destinies

The shift to 3D was a bit strange at first, as was the overall presentation, but I warmed up to Dual Destinies. The DLC case is such a fun, cool case, and the last case shocked me! They do streamline the investigations, so you always know what room you're going to investigate instead of moving around and figuring it out yourself. It can be good that you're not theoretically wasting time roaming around, but that was also part of the investigation chapters of case -- seeing if something in a room was important without the game telling you upfront that it was a room worth investigating.

One more Ace Attorney left in Spirit of Justice!

Pokemon Violet: B-

Pikmin 4: A-
God of War: Ragnarok: A-
Pepper Grinder: B+

Pepper Grinder was very enjoyable and so much of it was just on the right side of hard. It feels very much like a game that needs DLC or after beating the last boss, felt like there should have been a big reveal of a badder boss and a few more worlds. That said, it’s better to be left feeling the game was great, rather than it hanging around and waiting to finish it.

• Halal 1

qT3H40z.png

lVVfwlC.jpeg

It's the same game remixed with different, shorter and harder (but not that much harder) levels.  I still finished the game with a stock of 75 lives.  Luigi controls with even less friction than Mario, but that's actually a good thing.  He jumps higher, can slightly extend his jump by holding the button, and can still do that twirl manuver to extend your distance slightly.  It works, so much so that the levels still feel like a cakewalk mostly.  I liked the brevity here, its an ideal Mario game for short bursts, almost designed as a handheld game in spite of debuting on console.  It's pretty forgettable on the whole, but definitely is fun.

8.5/10

2024 Games

Final Fantasy XVI - 8.5/10

Tinykin - 8/10

Evan's Remains - 7.5/10

Crisis Core Final Fantasy VII: Reunion - 7/10

Castle of Illusion Remake - 7.5/10

FF7R Episode Intermission - 8.5/10

Telsagrad 2 - 7.5/10

Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth - 9.5/10

New Super Mario Bros U - 8.5/10

New Super Luigi U - 8.5/10

• stepee 1

• 2 weeks later...

Pokemon Violet: B-

Pikmin 4: A-
God of War: Ragnarok: A-
Pepper Grinder: B+
Persona 4:Golden: A-

Persona was great, though like its follow up, I enjoy the main story, enjoy some of the social stuff, dislike the dungeons, and really enjoy the combat. There were also some moments that aged terribly. That said, I’ll buy P6.

I've now got Dead Space, Metroid Fusion and Banjo Kazooie on the go and I may go buy Suoer Mario RPG tomorrow.

Sea of Stars

Portal: Revolution

The Talos Principle II

We Love Katamari REROLL + Royal Reverie

Franzen

The Mummy Demastered

This Way Madness Lies

Dino Hazard: Chronos Blackout

Star Ocean

ToeJam & Earl: Back in the Groove

Industria

Guacamelee! 2

Guacamelee! 2 was mostly fun but after trying that chicken dungeon I'm done.

13 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Better or worse than the first game?

I liked it better than the first game except for the optional area I gave up on. I probably would have felt the same about the DLC area but I don't have that since I got it free from EGS. I had held off getting the game because while I liked the first one, it got a bit tedious at the end and I read that the sequel was more of that. However, having played it, those concerns weren't justified. Again, except for that optional area that I hate and stopped at. Had I known how annoying it is I could have saved some time not getting the keys pieces to unlock the area but I really liked the main game.

spacer.png

Armored Core 3: 8/10

I had been playing this off and on over the course of I don't know how long, but I had finished it a couple days ago but was just finding the hidden pieces and extra stuff before I moved on to the next game.

It's hard to really rate these games as they are almost always basically the same game but improved over the previous game. Even the story is fairly similar. The one in this one maybe a bit too on the nose for our current present. Basically humans live underground and all decisions are made by an AI known as "The Controller" and no one questions the decisions it makes even if it is a horrible decision. However, a faction rises up to challenge those decisions. On top of that is the regular corporations vs corporations thing.

The gameplay is basically the same as previous games. Go on missions, read emails, etc. There are a couple of different things here though. You now can have 3 AC loadouts at once, you don't have to keep customizing the same one which is nice. You can also bring AI companions along on missions for a price, I never did but it's nice the option is there. The AC AI is actually challenging this time around so arena missions might pose a challenge, even encountering an AC on a mission is potentially deadly and a lot of the time they have two teaming up on you. That being said after you beat the game you unlock something called "Arena Extra" and it should be called arena ez because they are 2 on 2 battles, you choose an AI team mate and they make the arena battles a cake walk because they are so ridiculous, and most of the time the opponent will only go after you so they get obliterated.

As for other improvements there are graphical improvements over previous games. That MGSesque motion blur is present. The reflections on the ACs are shinier. There's even environmental damage, though minor, like windows of buildings being blown out if they get shot. So like I said, hard to rate. It's Armored Core and it's improved. On to the next one!

2024 Games

Persona 5 Tactica - (01/07/2024)

Thirsty Suitors - (01/26/2024)

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen - (03/02/2024)

Harold Halibut - (05/13/2024)

Armored Core 3 - (06/20/2024)

• Halal 2

Starfield

Bleed 2

Armored Core 6

Returnal

Ys9

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019)

Vampyr

Suicide Squad

Mario vs Dk

Penny’s Big Breakaway

Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons Remake

Horizon Burning Shores

Princess Peach Showtime

Pepper Grinder

Alone in the Dark 2024

Little Kitty Big City

RKGK (done with this unless they patch the final boss difficulty, can’t beat it as is)

Sea of Stars

The Talos Principle II

Franzen

The Mummy Demastered

This Way Madness Lies

Star Ocean

Industria

Guacamelee! 2

Cave Story's Secret Santa

Finished Cave Story's Secret Santa in less than an hour but it's free so that's ok.

Sea of Stars

The Talos Principle II

Franzen

The Mummy Demastered

This Way Madness Lies

Star Ocean

Industria

Guacamelee! 2

Doom 64

Sea of Stars

The Talos Principle II

Franzen

The Mummy Demastered

This Way Madness Lies

Star Ocean

Industria

Guacamelee! 2

Doom 64

Beyond the Mountains

Beyond the Mountains is fun GBC style Zelda-like that is free on Steam. On my first attempt I encountered a game breaking bug where NPC started spawning during the second boss fight making it impossible to finish the fight. I had to start over but the game is fairly short so it didn't take too long to get back to where I was. Amusingly at the start of my second attempt I leapt out of bed and struck an NPC with my sword... the same NPC who was about to give me the sword. There are some other minor bugs like that like NPCs who say something when you check their dresser and the dialog still pops up later when the NPC has left. Besides the game breaker, the most annoying thing was an item that costs 5 coins each time you use it to temporarily dash which you need to use when you hit a switch and then need to get passed a block that temporarily goes down. You have just enough time but you have to make a bunch of turns without getting stuck on a corner or the dash effect stopping and in one spot if you almost make it a wall pops up and you have to either kill yourself on spikes or reload to get out. The game doesn't use the whole screen so it can be a bit of a strain on the eyes. Looking at screenshots it looks like most people didn't have it as bad as me but it's still a poor use of the screen area. Despite the issues it's fun and it's free. A sequel is in the works.

28 minutes ago, dualhunter said:

\\Beyond the Mountains

Beyond the Mountains is fun GBC style Zelda-like that is free on Steam. On my first attempt I encountered a game breaking bug where NPC started spawning during the second boss fight making it impossible to finish the fight. I had to start over but the game is fairly short so it didn't take to long to get back to where I was. Amusingly at the start of my second attempt I leapt out of bed and struck an NPC with my sword... the same NPC who was about to give me the sword. There are some other minor bugs like that like NPCs who say something when you check their dresser and the dialog still pops up later when the NPC has left. Besides the game breaker, the most annoying thing was an item that costs 5 coins each time you use it to temporarily dash which you need to use when you hit a switch and then need to get passed a block that temporarily goes down. You have just enough time but you have to make a bunch of turns without getting stuck on a corner or the dash effect stopping and in one spot if you almost make it a wall pops up and you have to either kill yourself on spikes or reload to get out. The game doesn't use the whole screen so it can be a bit of a strain on the eyes. Looking at screenshots it looks like most people didn't have it as bad as me but it's still a poor use of the screen area. Despite the issues it's fun and it's free. A sequel is in the works.

Oh wow, I just looked it up.  Very on the nose with its inspirations.  Looks like they ripped or slightly modified Link Awakening's tileset.

Final Fantasy

Anticipation

Rescue: The Embassy Mission

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

Lies of P

———————————-

Spider-Man 2

Probably not the best idea to go from Lies of P straight into Spider-Man 2 because it made the combat feel very flat and tedious.  

I had a good time with this, but I feel like I enjoyed Miles Morales better.  I felt it was more focused and I liked the overall arc of everything better.  Without getting into spoilers, there’s a shift a little more than midway through the story but it barely feels like the game world acknowledges this and things that arguably shouldn’t be there still are.  

Overall a very fun game and incredibly flashy, but it also just feels like more of the same thing.  

• True 1

Sea of Stars

The Talos Principle II

Franzen

The Mummy Demastered

This Way Madness Lies

Star Ocean

Industria

Guacamelee! 2

Doom 64

Beyond the Mountains

The Murder of Sonic the Hedgehog

Final Fantasy

Anticipation

Rescue: The Embassy Mission

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

Lies of P
Spider-Man 2

——————————————

The Case of the Golden Idol

I’ve wanted to try this for a while ever since it came out, and by coincidence I saw it just released on iOS as a part of the Netflix subscription.

Overall I really enjoyed the weird little logic puzzles it throws at you and the art style.  It’s a really engaging brain teaser that itches just the right part of problem solving that I like.  There were one or two occasions where I felt like I was clearly missing something and just guessed out the last blank of a puzzle, but that’s probably more due to impatience than anything else.  If you have a Netflix sub I highly recommend it with one major caveat.

The mobile version is fairly new and it seems to have a few hiccups.  On the less annoying side, sometimes things won’t trigger right and you’ll have to go back to a menu and pull up a scene again for it to notice you’ve fully solved the puzzle and move forward.  On the truly frustrating side, I’ve run into a few typos in the puzzles that need solving.  These range from slightly weird grammar to literally making the puzzle impossible to solve through anything but luck.  One of the bonus chapter scenarios leaves out the word “killing” in the final puzzle, and without the verb I was completely unable to solve the last puzzle without finally just looking it up.  

I hope they fix such a relatively simple issue soon, but the main game was perfectly playable.

Sea of Stars

The Talos Principle II

Franzen

The Mummy Demastered

This Way Madness Lies

Star Ocean

Industria

Guacamelee! 2

Doom 64

Beyond the Mountains

Jurassic Park 16 bit (SNES)

The FPS levels in Jurassic Park have such a low framerate regardless of what the nVidia overlay says. The backtracking was more annoying than I remember but it was great being able to rewind and save (a power outage ruined a run back in the day on SNES). The Jurassic Park Classic Games Collection has a bug with the map. The map was convenient but when I resumed playing the option was gone. Then the next time the option was back but it showed the map for the NES game instead.

• Haha 1

On 6/24/2024 at 5:32 PM, dualhunter said:

Beyond the Mountains is fun GBC style Zelda-like that is free on Steam. On my first attempt I encountered a game breaking bug where NPC started spawning during the second boss fight making it impossible to finish the fight. I had to start over but the game is fairly short so it didn't take too long to get back to where I was. Amusingly at the start of my second attempt I leapt out of bed and struck an NPC with my sword... the same NPC who was about to give me the sword. There are some other minor bugs like that like NPCs who say something when you check their dresser and the dialog still pops up later when the NPC has left. Besides the game breaker, the most annoying thing was an item that costs 5 coins each time you use it to temporarily dash which you need to use when you hit a switch and then need to get passed a block that temporarily goes down. You have just enough time but you have to make a bunch of turns without getting stuck on a corner or the dash effect stopping and in one spot if you almost make it a wall pops up and you have to either kill yourself on spikes or reload to get out. The game doesn't use the whole screen so it can be a bit of a strain on the eyes. Looking at screenshots it looks like most people didn't have it as bad as me but it's still a poor use of the screen area. Despite the issues it's fun and it's free. A sequel is in the works.

A new patch changed the dash from timed to toggle which will make some puzzles less annoying. There are some bug fixes and other stuff and the game is still free.

Sea of Stars

The Talos Principle II

Franzen

The Mummy Demastered

This Way Madness Lies

Star Ocean

Industria

Guacamelee! 2

Doom 64

Beyond the Mountains

Jurassic Park (NES)

Jurassic Park (GB)

Jurassic Park 2 (GB)

After finishing the NES version of Jurassic Park I started the Game Boy version and hey, it's the same game (all the other versions are completely different). There were a couple scenes that were a bit different and the GB version lacked the second versions of the scenes. The map was the NES map. After the bug I encountered with the SNES version showing the NES map I'm not sure whether the GB version showing the NES map was by design or a bug. There's an area where you have to boot up computer terminal in order and the map has the numbers for the correct order but the GB version has a different order. Just have the 2 Genesis games and the other SNES game left.

Honestly amazing how you can do just about everything in FF7 in 25 hours with the x3 mode.

2024 Games

Final Fantasy 7 Integrade

More Starcraft online

Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney

Final Fantasy 7: ReBirth

The Talos Principle

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Dual Destinies

Final Fantasy 7

Silent Hill: Homecoming - PS3 - 6/10

Yeah, this was pretty mediocre. Makes me yearn for the glory days of the series. I hope they don’t fuck up the remake of 2. 

2024 games:

Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World - GBA

Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia - 3DS

Super Mario Bros Wonder - Switch

Spider-Man 2 - PS5

Dying Light 2 - PC

Silent Hill: Homecoming - PS3

10 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Silent Hill: Homecoming - PS3 - 6/10

Yeah, this was pretty mediocre. Makes me yearn for the glory days of the series. I hope they don’t fuck up the remake of 2.

Have you played Silent Hill: Downpour? It’s better than Homecoming IMO, but still not as good as the classics in the series.

Sea of Stars

The Talos Principle II

Franzen

The Mummy Demastered

This Way Madness Lies

Star Ocean

Industria

Guacamelee! 2

Doom 64

Beyond the Mountains

Jurassic Park (NES)

Jurassic Park (GB)

Jurassic Park 2 (GB)

Jurassic Park (GEN)

Not a fan of Jurassic Park for Sega Genesis. Music is meh, graphics suck as do the controls. Also I had to finish it as both the raptor and Grant.

1 hour ago, Phaseknox said:

Have you played Silent Hill: Downpour? It’s better than Homecoming IMO, but still not as good as the classics in the series.

I played a bit forever ago. All the reviews say it’s the worst one. 

that said, I’m gonna get to it at some point. But I also never beat Origins and I’m gonna do that one first. 

Sea of Stars

The Talos Principle II

Franzen

The Mummy Demastered

This Way Madness Lies

Star Ocean

Industria

Guacamelee! 2

Doom 64

Beyond the Mountains

Jurassic Park (NES)

Jurassic Park (GB)

Jurassic Park 2 (GB)

Jurassic Park (GEN)

Jurassic Park Rampage Edition (GEN)

Rampage Edition was better even if some levels were annoyingly long. At least the raptor can run. Just one more game in the collection left.

On 7/7/2024 at 6:53 PM, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I played a bit forever ago. All the reviews say it’s the worst one. 

that said, I’m gonna get to it at some point. But I also never beat Origins and I’m gonna do that one first. 

We need a port of Shattered Memories to modern platforms, ideally before the release of the 2 remake.

Turnip Boy Robs a Bank - 7/10
Princess Peach: Showtime! -8/10
Unicorn Overlord - 7.9/10
Dave the Diver - 8/10
Lil Gator - 9 🐊 
Inscryption - 9.5/10

Open Road - 4/10
Hex - 8.5/10
Little Kitty, Big City - 8 🐈‍⬛ 
Minishoot Adventure - 8.5/10

It’s a fantastic bullet hell adventure game. It has tight controls, solid mechanics and a decent map to explore. It has a chance to be in the Top 5 for me this year.  I don’t 100% games very often but I did with this one