Snap judging pixel art indies

crispy4000

header.jpg?t=1719512133

ss_e15ad6f627a53a97f8299a2b34cfb4f8f7e7a

Time Spent: 20 min

Rating: *½

This one seems to be cut from the same cloth as the Kingdoms series.  But with hands on combat (that sucks), more stats, an even more bewildering lack of direction, it’s somehow less fun.  The art style could be worse, but that's probably the best I can say about it.  It's a sandbox of blandness and nothingness, at least in the opening minutes.  And text for ants unless you change the resolution.

header.jpg?t=1705460366

ss_c7171da4bd53adc60fdc2ed89a0d1e8017fb1

Rating: *½

I really hoped to like this one, given how much I enjoy the Half Minute Hero games, and this seems on the surface to be cut from the same cloth.  A RPG where you can only progress right and diagonally, given that the world will scroll forward with every action you take.  Neat concept, but its dreadfully dull in execution.  The UI is messy, the graphics suck, combat basically amounts to stick around and fight or run away and live.  There might be something redeemable here, but it's buried underneath a game that's severely lacking tutorial or basic fun.

header.jpg?t=1707239370

ss_3f6668b13b3fce0b9f3aba7182865d840bc29

Rating: **½

A very lightweight adventure game split into individual cases.  It tries the thread the needle between murder mystery and comical writing, but falls flat compared to games like Thimbleweed Park or Ace Attorney.  I've played a lot of detective games so far this year (seems to be a trope with pixel art stuff), and this doesn't really hang with the best.  It's good they added some post processing shadows, because the pixel art is far too zoomed in looking otherwise.

header.jpg?t=1726822318

ss_0aca3d44323a0d401d475ca4adf908f538a62

Rating: **

Essentially the same game as New Lands, with some minor differences I'm sure.  Kingdoms Classic is free however, so if you think you'd like to give it a try, this is the way to do it.  Still somewhat good art in a bland tower defense game.