Visions of Mana | Coming August 29th, 2024 [Opencritic Reviews Posted] - update (08/29): Ouka Studios effectively closed

Keyser_Soze

So much like the other 77 game this week sounds like it's fun, but doesn't do anything new. I don't always need a game to reinvent the wheel. Not sure when I'll pick this up but I will at some point. 

• Halal 1

5 hours ago, Dodger said:

So much like the other 77 game this week sounds like it's fun, but doesn't do anything new. I don't always need a game to reinvent the wheel. Not sure when I'll pick this up but I will at some point. 

I think I’d rather play this.  Moment to moment it looks more fun.  I haven’t tried the demo yet though.

32 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I think I’d rather play this.  Moment to moment it looks more fun.  I haven’t tried the demo yet though.

Most reviews say the moment to moment gameplay is good, and that's what's most important

I put about 2 hours into it yesterday, and its fun, but honestly, i'm finding the story a bit dark, which you wouldnt think of in such a bright colorful game. I like the semi open world areas in the game, and while i havent unlocked too many abilities, it feels like the gameplay wont be all rinse and repeat the same attacks ad nauseum.

• Halal 1

Well...uhhhh...this is awkward.

WWW.GEMATSU.COM

NetEase Games has cut “all but a handful of jobs” at Tokyo-based subsidiary Ouka Studios, which just shipped Visions of Mana under contract for Square Enix, and plans to close the studi…

NetEase Games has cut “all but a handful of jobs” at Tokyo-based subsidiary Ouka Studios, which just shipped Visions of Mana under contract for Square Enix, and plans to close the studio, according to a Bloomberg report citing people familiar with the matter.

The few staff that remain at the studio will reportedly oversee the rollout of its final games. Back in 2022, two years after its establishment in 2020, Ouka Studios outlined three projects that were currently in development: an action RPG featuring an adventure with unique allies, a new-style battle game based on a popular series, and an original cooperative action game featuring gigantic enemies.

In an email, a NetEase Games representative told Bloomberg it has “nothing to announce” regarding a potential closure of Ouka Studios, and that it is seeing progress at the many Japanese studios it is invested in.

• Shocked 2

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Visions of Mana | Coming August 29th, 2024 [Opencritic Reviews Posted] - update (08/29): Ouka Studios effectively closed
1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Well...uhhhh...this is awkward.

WWW.GEMATSU.COM

NetEase Games has cut “all but a handful of jobs” at Tokyo-based subsidiary Ouka Studios, which just shipped Visions of Mana under contract for Square Enix, and plans to close the studi…

That's brutal if true.  The studio's only been around for 4 years.  Did they expect SquareEnix to want a live service Mana game or something?  It doesn't fit the rest of NetEase's portfolio.