The Boys: Season 4 (Amazon Prime) - update (06/11): series to conclude with Season 5

I’d guess that Sage has more powers than just intelligence; her being lobotomized before she really does anything would be pretty crappy. 

Otherwise not a bad season so far but it kinda feels like they’re running on fumes. Homelander not just finding and zapping The Boys has always been a little stretchy, but the show’s gotta be the show so whatever. Even accounting for that him failing to laser Hugie when he’s 25 feet from him and Solid Snaking through a duct is fucking bananas, can this guy see through walls and move at super speed or not?

Everyone other than Noir and Sage feels like they’re going through the same shit they have for years now. Will Butcher be an asshole or won’t he? Oh no Starlight has a complicated past! Deep’s in love with an octopus! A-Train is conflicted about his family! Ashley is stressed out! The Seven brought on a right wing culture war girlie! Kimiko and Frenchie have a past that’s catching up to them!

New Black Noir is pretty funny though. :p

42 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I’d guess that Sage has more powers than just intelligence; her being lobotomized before she really does anything would be pretty crappy. 

Spoiler

Looks like if you paused and read her file it says that she has healing powers and often lobotomizes herself to “relax” when she’s stressed. The damage done from the lobotomy heals in several hours.

• stepee 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hugs 1

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

Hide contents

Looks like if you paused and read her file it says that she has healing powers and often lobotomizes herself to “relax” when she’s stressed. The damage done from the lobotomy heals in several hours.

Spoiler

Don't the characters say aloud being smart is her only superpower? Or am I remembering that wrong?

5 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Hide contents

Don't the characters say aloud being smart is her only superpower? Or am I remembering that wrong?

Spoiler

I don’t recall, but it’s apparently in her Vought file that’s shown on screen: you have to pause and zoom to see it. It could be that people who know her without having her actual file only know of her being smart.

• Hugs 1

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Hide contents

The Boys say that, but they also thought throwing acid at Neuman would be effective.

4 hours ago, Jason said:

The Boys say that, but they also thought throwing acid at Neuman would be effective.

I laughed pretty hard when all their attempts on her fail, she doesn't really care and is surprised that they're somehow getting worse at their jobs. 

Just finished episode 2 tonight. It's still a fun watch, but I don't feel the urgency to binge each episode right away, like I did with the previous seasons. I really don't mind waiting for the next batch of episodes. I'm happy it's ending next season.

Finished the 3rd episode tonight. Still love this show! My one gripe so far is that I find the voice of Ryan (Homelander’s son) to be a little distracting. Maybe that’s how he sounds in real life? Sometimes it sounds really forced like he’s trying to sound like a toddler.

10 hours ago, Brick said:

The kid is going through puberty! His voice is obviously cracking.

Funny thing about a kid going through puberty... Eddie Furlong in T2 was going through puberty during filming. Once you know this, it's almost impossible to miss that his voice sounds really different across scenes.

• Haha 1

Another fun episode of The Boys, and the Homelander scenes in this were really interesting to watch with him confronting his childhood abusers but taking it too far, as Homelander does. Starlight made a very dumb decision to suddenly attack Firecracker that I think was a logic bridge too far but otherwise really liking where everyone's personal stories are heading (except Frenchie's which is just making him unlikeable by sleeping with the guy whose family you murdered in the past).

On 6/14/2024 at 4:01 PM, Spork3245 said:

Sooooo

Reveal hidden contents

Did Homelander lobotomize Sage and that’s why she was acting kinda dumb at the end of ep 3? Or did she lobotomize someone? (The bloody tool the camera panned to is used for lobotomies afaik)

Spoiler

Lmao

3 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Another fun episode of The Boys, and the Homelander scenes in this were really interesting to watch with him confronting his childhood abusers but taking it too far, as Homelander does. Starlight made a very dumb decision to suddenly attack Firecracker that I think was a logic bridge too far but otherwise really liking where everyone's personal stories are heading (except Frenchie's which is just making him unlikeable by sleeping with the guy whose family you murdered in the past).

I agree with all of these takes. Feels like Starlight is having a few too many fast reversals, but even though I can easily look past a lot of those the character is way too level headed and smart to commit that kind of personal vendetta violence on TV. So yeah the logic doesn't make sense there.

• Halal 1

27 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I agree with all of these takes. Feels like Starlight is having a few too many fast reversals, but even though I can easily look past a lot of those the character is way too level headed and smart to commit that kind of personal vendetta violence on TV. So yeah the logic doesn't make sense there.

Yeah, that was my thought too. Starlight's been impulsive in the past but this felt like more of a Hughie move, especially given the high stakes at this point. Also, she showed more aptitude with her abilities there than we've seen in awhile, could stand to see more of her do that in actual fights.

26 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Also, the right-wing media machine satire/parody/skewering is extremely ham-fisted but it works because that's the only thing that gets through to chuds. It's very on point.

And it seems to be working because they've been review bombing season 4's score on RottenTomatoes. They got pissed in season 3 when they somehow only then realized Homelander is a bad guy and the villain. The satire, in some ways, has to be ham-fisted because that is our actual politics now - if it was more subtle it wouldn't even be realistic. Some have said they're not even enjoying this season because it's too real and hits too close to home but I'm all here for it. 

People getting eye damage or watching actual eye surgery is something that gives me the heebie jeebies immediately, often I can’t even bring myself to watch. So I assume that part was fun, I couldn’t look.  :p 

I don’t really have an issue with what’s happening with Starlight and Firecracker broadly, but for a show that felt like it spent most of last season with the wheels spinning and failing to get traction, this plot line in particular feels like it’s moving way too fast. They set up shop outside of her office and started trolling her in an afternoon, it’s such obvious bait. oh Starlight had an abortion, oh Starlight blinded someone at Dollar General, oh Starlight was a bitch on the pageant circuit. I’m always happy when a character gets time to grow and change or when we learn more about them but this season it’s just chain smoking a random fact to set up the next immediate reaction. 

I need to see where they go with Homelander after this week since I feel like we’re just seeing more of the same from him at this point. How many scenes are we gonna get where we slow roll into a murder after a trauma dump with this guy?

Also not for nothing… if you caught Kid Homelander jacking off, nicknamed him squirt, and then saw him laser someone on TV and get found innocent… maybe get a new fucking job my guy, Jesus Christ. 

4 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

.And it seems to be working because they've been review bombing season 4's score on RottenTomatoes. They got pissed in season 3 when they somehow only then realized Homelander is a bad guy and the villain. The satire, in some ways, has to be ham-fisted because that is our actual politics now - if it was more subtle it wouldn't even be realistic. Some have said they're not even enjoying this season because it's too real and hits too close to home but I'm all here for it. 

If I’m being charitable I feel that “people thought Homelander was the good guy” is overblown. Not that NOBODY felt that way of course, but I assume people with that vibe had assumed that Homelander would eventually do “the right thing” or whatever. 

Maybe I’m wrong though, whenever Starship Trooper trends someone’s reaction is always “so I’m supposed to think THE BUGS are the good guys” or whatever and at times like that I think ol’ Donnie Trump had the right idea about bleach injections and I might wanna try one. 

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

If I’m being charitable I feel that “people thought Homelander was the good guy” is overblown. Not that NOBODY felt that way of course, but I assume people with that vibe had assumed that Homelander would eventually do “the right thing” or whatever. 

Maybe I’m wrong though, whenever Starship Trooper trends someone’s reaction is always “so I’m supposed to think THE BUGS are the good guys” or whatever and at times like that I think ol’ Donnie Trump had the right idea about bleach injections and I might wanna try one. 

I agree, I really don't know who was in that camp or not but there is certainly some cognitive dissonance going on. These are the same people who misunderstand every movie, as you pointed out Starship Troopers, as well as American History X, Fight Club, etc. I love that showrunner Eric Kripke basically just told them to fuck off, which helps be clear about the message of the show for the chuds who didn't get it.

• True 1

13 hours ago, Brick said:

You and I have a very different definition of the word "fun" lol :p

I have to say I do laugh at this show a lot, I'm clearly a mark for dark comedy. Usually most people uncomfortably laugh at dark comedy but I'm one of those few weird ones who thinks this shit is as funny as Seinfeld at times (in a different way). :p 

13 hours ago, SoberChef said:

Honestly, I was SO there alongside John as he found catharsis in tormenting the tormentors. Also...is Simon gonna be a Super Zombie?

You keep dead naming him John your dick is getting lasered off next. :p 

• stepee 1

10 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Hide contents

Lmao

On 6/16/2024 at 5:20 PM, Spork3245 said:

Reveal hidden contents

:raisedbrow:

Nice to see Homelander actually be menacing again, I feel like recently the protagonists and antagonists have gotten so chummy that there hasn’t been much tension. I swear to god Homelander’s best friend is actually Butcher, or at least Butcher is the only person he can have an actual conversation with.