Getting an OLED is life changing

Chris-

Just now, Spork3245 said:

Counter-point: 8k sucks right now :p 

That isn’t a counter point it’s just giving back my same reason why I’m not replacing the living room tv this year!

6 minutes ago, stepee said:

If you’ve been using a penny plasma all this time don’t even think about going lcd

My old plasma was an Insignia from when they used Panasonic internals, insane value for how long it lasted me. I probably could have salvaged it (the power supply died) but I didn't want to go through the hassle. 

The day before and also what pushed me into it right away I also decided to convert my 4090 laptop to a console under my tv for bedroom tv gaming and it’s just wonderful! Frame gen is great for laptop cpus and even stuff like Dragons Dogma 2 run great with dlss performance at 4k on it. 

I wouldn’t spend that much for a bedroom gaming pc for the amount I’ll use that but since it’s already sitting there it’s pretty awesome.

It works great just leaving it hooked up and my foldable keyboard/touchpad wakes it up and gets me going easily. Good times.

1 minute ago, Chris- said:

My old plasma was an Insignia from when they used Panasonic internals, insane value for how long it lasted me. I probably could have salvaged it (the power supply died) but I didn't want to go through the hassle. 

I got rid of my panny too soon I think. I got into the 4k hype before the panels were really there and it did at least have (early) hdr but I should have skipped that first 4k tv and back when I got the one I just replaced I should have went with a C1. That would have been the move I think. Or the CX before that.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

If you’ve been using a penny plasma all this time don’t even think about going lcd

Yeah definitely not. Initially I was waiting for OLED to come down in price. Then when good OLED got reasonably affordable the TV just kept chugging along so it just wasn't high on my priority list to replace since I didn't really have anything that needed better than 1080p anyhow and the image quality was still really good for 1080p content. Plus was beneficial to stay at 1080p given how long I went without without updating my computer. 

Also I don't have the space to store a 60" TV I'm not using so there's a bit of sentimentality on Panny plasmas at play too since getting a new TV is gonna mean I have to get rid of the Panny. 

• Sad 1