Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga - Official Trailer #2

Firewithin

1 hour ago, TheLeon said:

This is a weird movie. I’m having a hard time articulating my feelings about it. The action is great, but everything in between set pieces is odd. It slows way down to focus on plot/characters, but also skips/hand waves a lot of the actual developments. 

That's sort of how my wife felt (accidentally typed mom at first lmao 😬😬)

She felt like it was more Furiosa being used as a plot point like a device to move Thor's story forward than a movie about her.

I expected something as bad as The Marvels, Wonder Woman 2, or TLJ (:troll:) so I'm ~fine~ with it.

1 hour ago, SuperSpreader said:

That's sort of how my wife felt (accidentally typed mom at first lmao 😬😬)

She felt like it was more Furiosa being used as a plot point like a device to move Thor's story forward than a movie about her.

I expected something as bad as The Marvels, Wonder Woman 2, or TLJ (:troll:) so I'm ~fine~ with it.

I don’t mind that necessarily. Dementus is a fun character, and in a way that’s a lot like Fury Road in that Max is the title character, but it’s mostly Furiosa’s movie. For me it’s more about how the movie chooses to spend its time with these characters. Like with Dementus:

Spoiler

The scene of him taking over Gas Town is fun. That’s a setting that is unexplored in Fury Road. How does it function? What’s life like for the people there? How does Dementus fail to keep it running after taking it over? We are told he’s fucking everything up, but the next time we go there it’s just another place for people to riot and things to blow up. If this character is going to take up so much of the movie, and we are slowing down the pace so much, why not explore this new scenario? I bet there were some fun freaks we could meet there, and a gang leader suddenly being responsible for running a giant town/factory is a fun premise.

Or Jack, the other guy who kinda takes over the movie for a bit.

Spoiler

At the end of the extended action scene where they met (which was the highlight of the movie for me) he’s like “I’ll teach you everything I know” Then literally two minutes later in the next scene, we are told that’s already happened. We just fully skipped over weeks (months? Years?) of these two people working together and bonding. That felt crazy to me. In a normal action movie, that’s fine, but this movie is (in theory) supposed to be more of a character based epic. So why are we fast-forwarding through all of the character stuff?

Also I thought it was kinda funny that we completely skip the scene where they return from that mission where Furiosa has revealed herself after posing as a mute mechanic for like a decade. Did nobody have a reaction to that? 

I ultimately enjoyed the movie, and maybe now that I know what to expect it’ll work better on rewatch. For all of my nitpicks with the story, there are a lot great moments as well. 

• Halal 1

I really don't have anything further to add to the substantive thoughts articulated by @TwinIon and @TheLeon as they pretty much mirror my own as well.

Furiosa is bigger, louder, and brutaler (yes, I must made up that word!) than Fury Road, and while it's definitely not quite as "tight" as its predecessor, it's still a helluva good time at the cinema!

Especially for that absolutely spectacular main action centerpiece!

There has been a lot of talk about “Super Hero Fatigue”, but I’ve felt we are more in the era of franchise fatigue generally. The declining performance of so many franchise titles is a very obvious trend that actually began pre-pandemic. Not that every franchise is seeing contraction, but a majority are. Hollywood has become so risk averse that they have built a self-defeating system where they refuse to properly invest in new stories because nobody is really punished for franchise flops, but spending $30 million on a box office bomb and you may not get a producing gig for half a decade.

• Halal 1

For those wondering where Scrotus was in Fury Road, the Mad Max game answers that. He was the main antagonist in that game which took place before Fury Road. I guess that game is canon now? I enjoyed Furiosa alot. Not sure why folks aren't showing up to see it... I mentioned the movie to several people and they had no idea what i was even talking about. Great prequel to Fury Road though. My only nitpick is the obvious use of digital effects in some of the scenes that wasn't present in the first film. Other than that? No notes.

• Halal 1

7 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

For those wondering where Scrotus was in Fury Road, the Mad Max game answers that. He was the main antagonist in that game which took place before Fury Road. I guess that game is canon now? I enjoyed Furiosa alot. Not sure why folks aren't showing up to see it... I mentioned the movie to several people and they had no idea what i was even talking about. Great prequel to Fury Road though. My only nitpick is the obvious use of digital effects in some of the scenes that wasn't present in the first film. Other than that? No notes.

It's possible they made that part of the game canon but there was also a prequel comic to Fury Road. Both the comic and the game have differing fates for Hope and Glory and I believe the comic is considered canon.

12 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I'm pretty sure that when it comes to Mad Max, the concept of "canon" is simply non-existent :p

Yeah, perhaps best to view them as a collection of mythologies.

• Halal 2

Just saw it. It was awesome. George Miller has such a good eye for how to build a scene. He's probably only rivaled in this modern age by Dennis Villeneuve in that regard. The movie had so many bad ass shots of Furiosa with awesome lighting; the kind you'd expect to see as comic book frames.

This movie is different than Fury Road, but I liked it a lot. Not sure how I would rank it relative to it, but together they make quite the tale.

• Halal 1
  • Hype 1

6 hours ago, 69los said:

It's possible they made that part of the game canon but there was also a prequel comic to Fury Road. Both the comic and the game have differing fates for Hope and Glory and I believe the comic is considered canon.

There were actually THREE Prequel comics to Fury Road, one featuring Max, one Featuring Furiosa and one featuring Immortan Joe and Nux. I have all three series. The Furiosa comic in particular has some differences in her origin than what this movie shows so maybe none of it is canon and all of it is. Miller did give the cast novellas before they filmed Fury Road that detailed Max' and Furiosa's backstories shortly before that film started so there maybe some differences there as well. Speaking of the Mad Max game

The lead on that game took offense to Miller's comments about the 2015 game and why it failed.

11 hours ago, legend said:

Yeah, perhaps best to view them as a collection of mythologies.

That's a great way to view them!

This view essentially lines up with the perspective that Max -- and now, Furiosa -- represent vehicles (pun fully intended!) through which the stories of others are told and therefore, they're essentially "unreliable narrators" for those stories/mythologies.

• stepee 2

• 1 month later...

I finally saw this movie and while my sentiments mostly align with everyone else's that the movie was pretty good, the film just didn't have the ooomph of Fury Road's incredibly tight and well edited scenes where even each music track seemed purposeful and expressive. Nothing in this film got close to matching the giant storm chase scene of Fury Road, as just one example. Definitely a movie I want to watch again so it sinks in more but that was something I noticed. It also had an odd amount of a "fan service" feel like everyone was older or recast despite this being a prequel and everything came off a bit more like Sin City: A Dame to Kill For or 300: Rise of an Empire compared to their first entries, which felt better and more "real".

Honestly the thing that hurt the film the most for me was just how many digital effects were used in this movie. Fury Road was so good because it felt like we were there, racing through the desert. Here there is so much enhancement of the images and added digital coloring and some sort of slick digital noise reduction work or something that made the film have a weird sheen on a lot of things, or a plastic-y feel to the environments and backgrounds. Did anyone else get that sense? Either way I liked the movie a good bit but this was weird to me and almost made it feel incongruous to the look of Fury Road. 

• Halal 2

8 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I finally saw this movie and while my sentiments mostly align with everyone else's that the movie was pretty good, the film just didn't have the ooomph of Fury Road's incredibly tight and well edited scenes where even each music track seemed purposeful and expressive. Nothing in this film got close to matching the giant storm chase scene of Fury Road, as just one example. Definitely a movie I want to watch again so it sinks in more but that was something I noticed. It also had an odd amount of a "fan service" feel like everyone was older or recast despite this being a prequel and everything came off a bit more like Sin City: A Dame to Kill For or 300: Rise of an Empire compared to their first entries, which felt better and more "real".

Honestly the thing that hurt the film the most for me was just how many digital effects were used in this movie. Fury Road was so good because it felt like we were there, racing through the desert. Here there is so much enhancement of the images and added digital coloring and some sort of slick digital noise reduction work or something that made the film have a weird sheen on a lot of things, or a plastic-y feel to the environments and backgrounds. Did anyone else get that sense? Either way I liked the movie a good bit but this was weird to me and almost made it feel incongruous to the look of Fury Road. 

This is something I keep thinking about with this movie. It’s a little unfair to compare this to Fury Road, because it’s trying to do something different. Fury Road mostly takes place over like two days and is a relatively straightforward chase movie. Furiosa is a decades-spanning epic origin story, so it’s going for a completely different thing. But at the same time, every five minutes it’s going “Hey, remember Fury Road? Remember Fury Road?” with that fan service you mention. The standout action set piece is the attack on the War Rig, which reminds you of like 5 different sequences in Fury Road. You can’t help but constantly compare the two, which is unfortunate for Furiosa because by this point Fury Road has generally been accepted as one of the Great action movies. 

And yes, the action in Furiosa has a lot more of that slick, glossy, floaty feel that is the bane of modern action movies. It’s still better executed than most of those other movies, but it’s noticeable because like you say it’s notably absent in Fury Road. 

• Halal 2

2 hours ago, TheLeon said:

This is something I keep thinking about with this movie. It’s a little unfair to compare this to Fury Road, because it’s trying to do something different. Fury Road mostly takes place over like two days and is a relatively straightforward chase movie. Furiosa is a decades-spanning epic origin story, so it’s going for a completely different thing. But at the same time, every five minutes it’s going “Hey, remember Fury Road? Remember Fury Road?” with that fan service you mention. The standout action set piece is the attack on the War Rig, which reminds you of like 5 different sequences in Fury Road. You can’t help but constantly compare the two, which is unfortunate for Furiosa because by this point Fury Road has generally been accepted as one of the Great action movies. 

And yes, the action in Furiosa has a lot more of that slick, glossy, floaty feel that is the bane of modern action movies. It’s still better executed than most of those other movies, but it’s noticeable because like you say it’s notably absent in Fury Road. 

Yes, all of this. I like that Furiosa was going for something completely different, more story-focused with chapters, etc. But then the movie does keep hammering you with fan service and indirect comparisons to Fury Road and I'm like: "this could have been really good" but all that fan service and digital enhancements just doesn't work in its favor. It's a shame and I'm not sure why Miller even did it this way when he already did it with Fury Road. Budget perhaps but this felt like a stylistic choice.

I bet the movie would look better in black and white because there was a noticeable mismatch between foreground and background color/lighting on a lot of shots. That and the weird physics on vehicles took me out of the movie the most. The story was fine; not perfect but serviceable.

• Halal 1