Steam Deck OLED - Information Thread, update (08/14): Valve announces (eventual) SteamOS support for ROG Ally

Commissar SFLUFAN

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

TIL that when you're playing a game on your desktop PC, you apparently can't play another game on your Deck on the side with the same Steam account unless you put the Deck into airplane mode. 

I was trying to play some Vampire Survivors while I was dead in Counter-Strike. :p 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Nokra said:

TIL that when you're playing a game on your desktop PC, you apparently can't play another game on your Deck on the side with the same Steam account unless you put the Deck into airplane mode. 

I was trying to play some Vampire Survivors while I was dead in Counter-Strike. :p 

I think they recently made changes to the family sharing that eliminates this problem but still need to change it for your own account.

• Thanks 1

I’ve been thinking about this steam deck.  It would be a great complimentary device to GFN as that is my main gaming right now.  But there’s just some games I want on there that will probably never get there.  How is the new steamdeck with higher intensive games.   Any games that it just isn’t a good experience with?

26 minutes ago, tgo said:

I’ve been thinking about this steam deck.  It would be a great complimentary device to GFN as that is my main gaming right now.  But there’s just some games I want on there that will probably never get there.  How is the new steamdeck with higher intensive games.   Any games that it just isn’t a good experience with?

You wouldn’t be looking to it as your primary device for UE5 games for example. You can get most of them playable but I don’t think it would be an ideal way to play them. Anything ps4 and back and modern indie games and some current gen but not the super heavy stuff. On its own, it can be a good experience once set right with pretty much any game beyond maybe a handful like Remnant 2 and Returnal, Alan Wake 2 and Ark frametimes Ascended 

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

You wouldn’t be looking to it as your primary device for UE5 games for example. You can get most of them playable but I don’t think it would be an ideal way to play them. Anything ps4 and back and modern indie games and some current gen but not the super heavy stuff. On its own, it can be a good experience once set right with pretty much any game beyond maybe a handful like Remnant 2 and Alan Wake 2 and Ark frametimes Ascended 

Oh ok.  I figured that would be the case.  How do the From games run.  I been thinking about getting into those and trying Elden Ring.  It would be mainly games that’s not on GFN.  So RE4 remake, From games.  Some Sony games.  How are Sony’s games on this? Do all the Indie games run great on this?   Like new higher end ones like no rest for the wicked would still run well?

On 6/22/2024 at 1:57 AM, tgo said:

Oh ok.  I figured that would be the case.  How do the From games run.  I been thinking about getting into those and trying Elden Ring.  It would be mainly games that’s not on GFN.  So RE4 remake, From games.  Some Sony games.  How are Sony’s games on this? Do all the Indie games run great on this?   Like new higher end ones like no rest for the wicked would still run well?

Really depends on the game but I can answer somewhat. From games actually all run well on it. They seem to be designed to run well at 30fps before anything else and that translates over well to the deck. Elden Ring runs super smooth and has hdr support. AC6 also is great on it. And then anything back also works great, I assume they can be pushed past 30fps as you get to the older ones.

Sony stuff depends. Returnal is a no. Rachet runs okayish. Hellriders 2 runs pretty good. Last of us pt1, God of War, and Horizon run p good but expect some sub 30 dips. Horizon FW same, but has more traversal stutters. Spiderman/Miles runs great. Ghosts runs great. Sackboy runs great. 

RE4R runs well on it at 30fps but you cant get to 60fps.

Most indie stuff does run well on it but last I tried no rest for the wicked wasn’t there yet. It’s early access and. or verified for deck yet. Biggest issue with it is crashing honestly, the performance is close. They say they hope to hit decent settings at 40fps. We will see if they hit that.

14 hours ago, stepee said:

Really depends on the game but I can answer somewhat. From games actually all run well on it. They seem to be designed to run well at 30fps before anything else and that translates over well to the deck. Elden Ring runs super smooth and has hdr support. AC6 also is great on it. And then anything back also works great, I assume they can be pushed past 30fps as you get to the older ones.

Sony stuff depends. Returnal is a no. Rachet runs okayish. Hellriders 2 runs pretty good. Last of us pt1, God of War, and Horizon run p good but expect some sub 30 dips. Horizon FW same, but has more traversal stutters. Spiderman/Miles runs great. Ghosts runs great. Sackboy runs great. 

RE4R runs well on it at 30fps but you cant get to 60fps.

Most indie stuff does run well on it but last I tried no rest for the wicked wasn’t there yet. It’s early access and. or verified for deck yet. Biggest issue with it is crashing honestly, the performance is close. They say they hope to hit decent settings at 40fps. We will see if they hit that.

Thanks for the write up.   Kind of sounds like this is in need of another gen for the complete experience.  But prob still totally worth the money.   

26 minutes ago, tgo said:

Thanks for the write up.   Kind of sounds like this is in need of another gen for the complete experience.  But prob still totally worth the money.   

Yeah this current apu works great for last gen and cross gen stuff. But now that current gen is getting pushed it’s going to need a new revision to be able to play everything again. I’d expect it late next year or early 26 imo. Some current gen stuff might end up getting more optimized though when Switch 2 comes out.

1 hour ago, tgo said:

It's fuckin great if you like singing sea shanties.

16 minutes ago, stepee said:

@Biggie what do you think should I pull a Top Spin and come for the money?

Yes absolutely. I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to say it lol.   On another note I love my Series X and GamePass Ultimate!

• Hype 1

9 hours ago, tgo said:

But this is the magic of the Steam Deck. It is different things to different people. As I've written ITT hundreds of times for me the Steam Deck is a great accessory to a PC where I can play indie games or visual novels, something that's not a AAA juggernaut or demanding console game. Because personally for those kinds of games you want to give them your undivided attention, see them in high fidelity, see every pore and drop of sweat.

But playing something like Gal Guardians, Hush Hush, PuzzMix, Pepper Grinder, Crow Country, etc is perfect for the Deck because it's not necessarily something you would want to install on a PC and sit there playing

I think that being able to play a AAA game on there is more of a novelty than anything, like when they got Crysis or DOOM running on Switch. Sure you could do it, and it's impressive that they did, but once you see it you say, "that's cool" and move on.

Of course this is just my viewpoint, which goes back to me saying different things to different people. Like for Best, a graphics whore, he just wants to play the most graphically demanding games and that's fine if you're into that but I just think the Deck is a lot more versatile than that.

• Hugs 1

31 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

But this is the magic of the Steam Deck. It is different things to different people. As I've written ITT hundreds of times for me the Steam Deck is a great accessory to a PC where I can play indie games or visual novels, something that's not a AAA juggernaut or demanding console game. Because personally for those kinds of games you want to give them your undivided attention, see them in high fidelity, see every pore and drop of sweat.

But playing something like Gal Guardians, Hush Hush, PuzzMix, Pepper Grinder, Crow Country, etc is perfect for the Deck because it's not necessarily something you would want to install on a PC and sit there playing

I think that being able to play a AAA game on there is more of a novelty than anything, like when they got Crysis or DOOM running on Switch. Sure you could do it, and it's impressive that they did, but once you see it you say, "that's cool" and move on.

Of course this is just my viewpoint, which goes back to me saying different things to different people. Like for Best, a graphics whore, he just wants to play the most graphically demanding games and that's fine if you're into that but I just think the Deck is a lot more versatile than that.

If I got the deck the main draw would be so I can play games that I can’t play on GFN.  GFN is where all my gaming is right now so another device that compliments that would be good.   But also thinking if I should go back to Nintendo again and wait on switch 2.  I haven’t had one of their systems since the Wii. But also would like to get a PS5 pro and that is coming soon too.  

8 minutes ago, tgo said:

If I got the deck the main draw would be so I can play games that I can’t play on GFN.  GFN is where all my gaming is right now so another device that compliments that would be good.   But also thinking if I should go back to Nintendo again and wait on switch 2.  I haven’t had one of their systems since the Wii. But also would like to get a PS5 pro and that is coming soon too.  

Yeah a ROG would be better for you it even that is kinda too much a half step. I’m hopeful you’ll get something late next year along the lines you are wanting.

15 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Since I was the middle man I also deserve some compensation!

lol I gotta laugh though that it’s not just selling it instead of paying it forward, but picking a relative and then CHARGING THEM..like damn 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, stepee said:

lol I gotta laugh though that it’s not just selling it instead of paying it forward, but picking a relative and then CHARGING THEM..like damn 

Narcissist like I said

• True 1

39 minutes ago, Brian said:

I hope Steam Deck 2 OLED ditches Linux

I Hope Please GIF

That would suck. (1) because their custom Linux GUI is much better for a gaming handheld, and (2) because The Steam Deck has been incredible at accelerating better game support on Linux. A world in which Linux becomes competitive with Windows for gaming is a wonderful world and I'd finally be rid of my need for a Windows system.

I would, however, support better Windows drivers so that running Windows if you want to is easier.

• stepee 1

Any of yall play this one?

header.jpg?t=1572909895

It shows up for unknown on the Deck but plays without issue. A really good looking pixel art platformer from Wayforward

Pro tip: Add the right trigger to the controller profile (whatever steam finds has it disabled by default) and then you can have switch on the trigger and can just use your thumb for shoot and jump

31 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Any of yall play this one?

header.jpg?t=1572909895

It shows up for unknown on the Deck but plays without issue. A really good looking pixel art platformer from Wayforward

Pro tip: Add the right trigger to the controller profile (whatever steam finds has it disabled by default) and then you can have switch on the trigger and can just use your thumb for shoot and jump

Does it have an option to run in stereoscopic 3D like the originals?