Steam Deck OLED - Information Thread, update (08/14): Valve announces (eventual) SteamOS support for ROG Ally

Commissar SFLUFAN

7 hours ago, Brian said:

https://videocardz.com/newz/msi-claw-handheld-comes-with-intel-core-ultra-processor-pricing-starts-at-699

IMG-1569.jpg
 No OLED…..bummer. At least it has VRR. Happy to see Hall effect triggers and joysticks. WIFI 7 and BT 5.4 included.

If’s thirsty boy. It only has 3 profiles, 15w, 30w, and 45w! Hello wall outlet

Revenge Of The Nerds 80S GIF
assemble @legend @Mr.Vic20 @stepee @Spork3245

Please let me know what this means compared to current handhelds. I might upgrade if it’s another Deck to Ally level of boost. 

6 hours ago, stepee said:

We will have to see how it performs in a handheld power profile but it looks pretty similar, with arc graphics providing a small gain on the gpu side. Here’s some tests someone did on laptops:

WWW.PHORONIX.COM

In recent days there have been leaks about an MSI 'CLAW' gaming handheld device set to be announced this coming week at CES in Las Vegas.

You’d probably be looking at pretty negligible gains, especially when factoring in more immature driver support on the arc side and intel typically performing a lot worse with emulation in general. Could still be a nice handheld but definitely does not appear to be one to upgrade an ally for.

The one thing worth noting is, iirc, people are predicting Arc 380 GPU performance, so you may be able to go by current benchmarks for that GPU to preview the Claw’s performance. Also, it should be capable of RT (the question would be if it actually has the horsepower to pull off any RT :p ). Overall it doesn’t sound like it’ll be notably different from the Ally.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

The one thing worth noting is, iirc, people are predicting Arc 380 GPU performance, so you may be able to go by current benchmarks for that GPU to preview the Claw’s performance. Also, it should be capable of RT (the question would be if it actually has the horsepower to pull off any RT :p ). Overall it doesn’t sound like it’ll be notably different from the Ally.

MSI is claiming that the Claw will have “the longest battery life of current handheld gaming PCs” and is claiming 50% longer battery life than competitors.

7 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I just checked benchmarks for the Arc 380. Supposedly, the ROG Ally is between GTX 1050 Ti and a 1060 for performance, the ARC 380 (MSI Claw) is about 5% faster than a GTX 1060. If this is true (MSI Claw having a a380 equivalent and the gpu comparison I found for the Ally) then it's actually like a 20-30% performance gap between the Ally and Claw, but we'll see.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, stepee said:

What happened with Skyrim? I just tested it because that surprised me and it worked fine without adjusting anything. If you were stuck on the first main screen, you just have to use the touchscreen and press on the play button.

Yea. Locked at title screen. Was extremely difficult to get the mouse over to "play". When on play I pressed every button on the deck and it wouldn't do anything. 

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

I just checked benchmarks for the Arc 380. Supposedly, the ROG Ally is between GTX 1050 Ti and a 1060 for performance, the ARC 380 (MSI Claw) is about 5% faster than a GTX 1060. If this is true (MSI Claw having a a380 equivalent and the gpu comparison I found for the Ally) then it's actually like a 20-30% performance gap between the Ally and Claw, but we'll see.

20% boost, working SD card reader and hall effect triggers and sticks would

be enough to upgrade for me. Though I want to hear the fans. The Ally is pretty quiet under load. 

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

Yea. Locked at title screen. Was extremely difficult to get the mouse over to "play". When on play I pressed every button on the deck and it wouldn't do anything. 

You don’t press any buttons I mean literally pretend the deck display is a phone and press the play button with your finger!

10 minutes ago, stepee said:

You don’t press any buttons I mean literally pretend the deck display is a phone and press the play button with your finger!

Jfc. I never touch the screen because of finger prints. Ok, I'll re-download it and try it. Thanks.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, stepee said:

53 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Jfc. I never touch the screen because of finger prints. Ok, I'll re-download it and try it. Thanks.

Does the touch pad work? That generally works as a mouse as well, just move it and push in the touch pad to click.

12 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Does the touch pad work? That generally works as a mouse as well, just move it and push in the touch pad to click.

Not in the initial splash screen for the original Skyrim release. Sometimes stuff that isn’t directly compatible won’t respond to physical buttons but touchscreen is always responsive as a mouse. It’s good to remember for some launcher and emulation stuff.

41 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

No, I pressed the touch pad. I'll use my finger soon here to play it. It's downloaded. 

3 minutes ago, best3444 said:

@stepee pressing start worked. But when you're done creating your character it forces you to name your character. I cannot type anything to get past this. I used my finger and every button. What am I doing wrong?

For text entry when you need to force it (this is universal for steam deck) hold down the steam button and press the x button which will bring up a keyboard 

22 minutes ago, stepee said:

For text entry when you need to force it (this is universal for steam deck) hold down the steam button and press the x button which will bring up a keyboard 

Geez. Did not know that! Thanks 

18 minutes ago, best3444 said:

@stepee Skyrim looks extremely good on the oled. I even have 12 mods loaded to make the visuals better. If the combat were better this would be an all time great. 

I bet @Xbob42 can recommend one for combat! 

And yeah honestly I was surprised how nice it looked on the oled deck. I think it’s color tone looks nice and pops with oled and it runs at 90fps so it’s real smooth looking. It’s real cool how on handheld you can max out these 360era games at high frame rates on a small oled display and suddenly they look great again. Max Payne 3 looks so good still, perfect way to replay it.

• True 1

1 hour ago, Biggie said:

Yeah but what about burn in?

I've had an OLED on my main PC for over a year without burn-in that Reddit insists will have burn-in for everyone within 45 months.

Don't use it for Excel 8-hour a day, and the risk of burn in plummets dramatically.

23 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I've had an OLED on my main PC for over a year without burn-in that Reddit insists will have burn-in for everyone within 45 months.

Don't use it for Excel 8-hour a day, and the risk of burn in plummets dramatically.

Monitors have extremely better burn-in mitigation than TVs, and TVs have already had great burn-in mitigation since the CX came out about 4 years ago. If you're only gaming and playing media on your monitor then there's absolutely no concern.. If you use your monitor for work for 6-8+ hours a day with static images, then it's a different story. Gaming hasn't been a typical burn-in issue for a long time.

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Monitors have extremely better burn-in mitigation than TVs, and TVs have already had great burn-in mitigation since the CX came out about 4 years ago. If you're only gaming and playing media on your monitor then there's absolutely no concern. If you use your monitor for work for 6-8+ hours a day with static images, then it's a different story.

The risk of burn-in has never been a big risk on TVs either -- unless you abuse them.  Many of the people who complained about burn-in ten years ago on Plasma were watching CNN for 6 hours a day on torch mode.

I still have my 2007-era Pioneer Elite Kuro plasma getting daily use with no burn-in.

12 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

The risk of burn-in has never been a big risk on TVs either -- unless you abuse them. 

That’s not true at all. Most 7 and 8 series from LG were incredibly prone to burn-in to the point that LG extended the warranty for many people.
Plasma =/= OLED. OLED panel burn-in is collective over time due to heat causing a colors brightness diminishing in certain areas. Plasma, like CRTs, is typically caused from uneven wear of phosors and is much harder to get burn-in from. 

24 minutes ago, best3444 said:

@stepee I go to play Skyrim (put like 6 hours in) and it shows I need to completely re-download it? Has that ever happened to you? If I list my eaves that will end my run on it. 

If you have it installed on the memory card your deck might not be seeing the memory card so I'd turn off the deck and eject and reinsert the card.

Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

If you have it installed on the memory card your deck might not be seeing the memory card so I'd eject it and restart the deck.

Thanks for any future issue like that. I just re-downloaded it so I am about to check if my saves are ok.