Steam Deck OLED - Information Thread, update (08/14): Valve announces (eventual) SteamOS support for ROG Ally

Commissar SFLUFAN

Welp, guess we will hope they can figure out how to deliver it tomorrow - crazy how I never get anything the first time it’s out for delivery no matter the carrier. This time it was USPS! It says they couldn’t deliver to my address because they didn’t have access…so the post office just couldn’t figure out how to deliver to my building at all today? 

(I’m sure it’s because the manager annoyingly puts a rope up after 5pm and when they are not here, which now includes Mondays, that blocks the parking in front of the building and they didn’t want to bother finding parking so they just skipped us today but oy)

31 minutes ago, stepee said:

@best3444 usps just drove by and my ssd isn’t delivered still so looks like we both are stuck waiting for Newman!

My mom came in the front door with mail and I was like it has to be here today. No sir...So I ended up deleting Psychonauts and getting TLOU again. I restarted yet another play through and I still can't get enough. I think I can safely say that's my favorite game of all time. Also, it runs at like 25fps imo not 30fps like my other games. It's still completely fine for me and looks phenomenal.

7 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Can you get GTA V on your deck @best3444?

Yes, but I honestly don't want it. RDR2 gives me my Rockstar fix. 

• Shocked 1

Just now, best3444 said:

My mom came in the front door with mail and I was like it has to be here today. No sir...So I ended up deleting Psychonauts and getting TLOU again. I restarted yet another play through and I still can't get enough. I think I can safely say that's my favorite game of all time. Also, it runs at like 25fps imo not 30fps like my other games. It's still completely fine for me and looks phenomenal.

Yes, but I honestly don't want it. RDR2 gives me my Rockstar fix. 

I stress tested it with settings that had me lock 30fps in the hardest to run place I know of so I think you could tone things down so you don’t dip to 25fps - BUT if you prefer to keep your fidelity as high as it currently is that is also fine - I’m also very lenient with fps on handheld - just not as sensitive as on a tv.

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

I stress tested it with settings that had me lock 30fps in the hardest to run place I know of so I think you could tone things down so you don’t dip to 25fps - BUT if you prefer to keep your fidelity as high as it currently is that is also fine - I’m also very lenient with fps on handheld - just not as sensitive as on a tv.

Exactly. The fidelity is too good for me to lower anything else. I checked the graphic settings and a lot of it is on the lowest anyway. The controls are extremely tight too because I get a lot of headshots.

• Hype 1

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

Exactly. The fidelity is too good for me to lower anything else. I checked the graphic settings and a lot of it is on the lowest anyway. The controls are extremely tight too because I get a lot of headshots.

Yeah, you would be lowering the internal res to keep a more locked 30fps so there would be a noticeable sacrifice 

14 minutes ago, best3444 said:

The battery today was impressive so I don't think I had it fully charged the other day. It lasted 2 hours running TLOU and RDR2. Good shit. 

Yeah it’s fucking incredible - I’m playing without it charging which I never did with a portable pc before and it’s kinda nice and freeing. Also it charges in like an hour now! Much better than before. So many improvements here.

• Halal 1

woooot I got it! It has been a pain in the ass the last half hour to get the damn thing recognized on my deck via enclosure - I had to first format it on my windows pc as GPT and then i had to use a fat usb to usb c cable on my docking station to get power because the deck wouldn’t power it and then I had to partition manager and refresh to recognize it in Konsole oyyyy

But it’s cloning! At least it says.

Damn this is supppppper slow though. It’s been an hour and it’s only at 200gb. I actually don’t have 200gb of data even on it so it’s apparently copying over blank data now? Strange.

Will be too late when this finishes for me to want to do the surgery so I guess I’ll do it tomorrow! Def looking forward to this being over with. Hopefully Valve starts offering up larger size ssd’s in future models from the jump (and doesn’t attach them to a worse screen)

@stepee I honestly don't have any words for what you did for me. I'm kinda keeping on the down low on how I'm currently doing but it's not good. But to have this fucking amazing technology at my fingertips is such a fuckin blessing. It gives me something to look forward to each day so I really want you to know how thankful I am. 

If I ever get settled etc I'm paying you back in some way. This is incredible. 

• Hugs 2

5 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I laughed. Thanks

It wasn’t a joke! I actually just got them which is insane - Amazon is the one place that delivers here with no issue. Looks like they delivered at 7:24am - I ordered at about 12:30am. Company may be evil but hot damn.

• Shocked 1

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

It wasn’t a joke! I actually just got them which is insane - Amazon is the one place that delivers here with no issue. Looks like they delivered at 7:24am - I ordered at about 12:30am. Company may be evil but hot damn.

Holy shit! Great news. 

Just now, best3444 said:

@stepee I honestly don't have any words for what you did for me. I'm kinda keeping on the down low on how I'm currently doing but it's not good. But to have this fucking amazing technology at my fingertips is such a fuckin blessing. It gives me something to look forward to each day so I really want you to know how thankful I am. 

If I ever get settled etc I'm paying you back in some way. This is incredible. 

Just hang in there. I’ve been in the same situation before. I remember almost having to move to WV just a few years ago, feeling I had no prospects and negative money and the whole world felt like it was collapsing. Obviously things recently got weird for me but even before then it was crazy how much things turned around and before I knew it I had a career, I was a manager, I had a future. No matter how bad things seem they really can improve before you know it. Once you’ve kinda hit bottom, only way is up, cliche, but true. Just stay focused, stay calm, be kind to yourself, and little by little work towards a better future. 

• stepee 1
  • Hugs 1

1 minute ago, stepee said:

lol I broke it fuckkkkkkk I snapped the wire at the part with the tweezers sigh 

Ill have to have my Dad do it when I get the new one - this whole process has sucked lol

I told you you weren't going to hurt it! How'd you hurt it?? You madman!

Yep, all good! I yanked out a cable that connects to the bottom right of the ssd - it really felt/looked like it ripped until I shined a flashlight on it! That was intense lol. But it’s complete, everything worked including the cloning process, and I now have a total of 3tb on this beauty.

• Shocked 1
  • Hype 1

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Yep, all good! I yanked out a cable that connects to the bottom right of the ssd - it really felt/looked like it ripped until I shined a flashlight on it! That was intense lol. But it’s complete, everything worked including the cloning process, and I now have a total of 3tb on this beauty.

3tb lololololololol

• Hype 1

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

@stepee The card just came. Thank you once again. Your handwriting is perfectly fine to me. Anything I need to know before using it?

Fuck yeah! Always get a little scared sending without tracking. I formatted it before I sent it so you should be able to just plug it in and I think it will prompt you to format for your device or something like that.