Steam Deck OLED - Information Thread, update (08/14): Valve announces (eventual) SteamOS support for ROG Ally

Commissar SFLUFAN

6 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

You should always turn motion blur off anyway.

AND Chromatic Aberration, which is almost more important. And Vignette if a game has that. And film grain unless it’s some kind of pulp 70s thing or something. This applies to console and pc since console is starting to get those options to turn that shit off now too.

46 minutes ago, stepee said:

AND Chromatic Aberration, which is almost more important. And Vignette if a game has that. And film grain unless it’s some kind of pulp 70s thing or something. This applies to console and pc since console is starting to get those options to turn that shit off now too.

I never seen Chromatic Aberration so I'll look for that later. Honestly Horizon is my only game that struggles a bit. GOW runs extremely well and looks better, too. RDR2 is a massive game and runs flawlessly so I don't get Horizon struggling. 

5 minutes ago, best3444 said:

That term doesn't even ring a bell in the options I look at. 

The things I listed there are usually near motion blur above or below the main graphic settings. They don’t really improve or worsen performance they are just visual filters that ruin the visual quality. Most games have it and most games on pc have an option to turn it off.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

The things I listed there are usually near motion blur above or below the main graphic settings. They don’t really improve or worsen performance they are just visual filters that ruin the visual quality. Most games have it and most games on pc have an option to turn it off.

Motion blur is to mask low frame rate games though, to make them look better. At least in theory. I think it looks bad always. Looked cool when I first saw it in PD0 though.

Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

Motion blur is to mask low frame rate games though, to make them look better. At least in theory. I think it looks bad always. Looked cool when I first saw it in PD0 though.

There are different types also to be fair. There is per object motion blur which actually can add to the look but isn’t used as often and it gets confusing sometimes when you aren’t sure which type. Some games have two blur settings. But yeah that’s the purpose but even at low fps, I don’t think it helps. 

RE4 I know for sure has a CA toggle

BTW, my deck froze up and shut off while playing GOW. I panicked and tried to turn it back on and it wouldn't do anything. My heart sank to my stomach and I was devastated. I kept trying to turn it on and nothing would happen. I felt the deck and it was really warm. So I waited 10 minutes and it turned on. I shut it down for now to let it rest. I've been playing it way too much lol.

11 minutes ago, best3444 said:

BTW, my deck froze up and shut off while playing GOW. I panicked and tried to turn it back on and it wouldn't do anything. My heart sank to my stomach and I was devastated. I kept trying to turn it on and nothing would happen. I felt the deck and it was really warm. So I waited 10 minutes and it turned on. I shut it down for now to let it rest. I've been playing it way too much lol.

I wouldn’t worry about overheating, even if you played 20 hours in a row it shouldn’t. It sounds like a crash and maybe it took a bit to turn on and you ended up turning it off and on a few times. I wouldn’t change behavior because of it. If it actually starts overheating like that then we could return it as that should not happen.

8 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Does the deck run Starfield?

It shows as unsupported, so I would personally wait until Valve verifies it for deck - I’m personally skeptical but I know they did improve it a lot recently and maybe Valve didn’t go back and verify it yet. 

1 minute ago, Biggie said:

Can you imagine playing Starfield on a handheld!  

Yes because I'm currently playing RDR2 on the deck and that is massive with no loading compared to Starfield. I'll eventually get it if it's ever fully compatible with the deck. But RDR2 looks absolutely incredible and this oled deck and it barely feels like a handheld to me. When I play it I'm laying in my bed with the screen pretty close so it's extremely immersive. 

• Hype 1

Starfield is too much of a combination of ambitious and poorly coded for the deck I think. I did look at a video of someone playing in new Atlantis on the deck and idk the settings but it was hitting like 19fps at times. It’s probably 30fps outside of that and that’s an extreme but man I think it’ll be rough. Maybe if they continue to work on it or maybe when they add amd frame gen?

Honestly the way it looked on even my rog ally while plugged in drawing twice the power of deck, it was cool it worked, but I would never really play it like that. 

• Thanks 1

Best way to play Starfield on deck is still to upgrade the internet and get remote access going :P

Or if you are close enough to your modem you can do what I do and run an ethernet cable connected direct to a dock and then you run the charger also into the dock and then another cable from the dock to your deck which is now your charging cable. So now every time you plug your deck in you also have a full ethernet connection.

With that, you aren’t limited by your internet speed for local streaming as it will be going through your local network with ethernet on both ends. Then you just need to buy this $5 app because the free way sucks for xbox local remote play.

• Sicko 1

3 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Lol go to space. Isn't that an awful game though?

I hear after they were done patching it’s actually pretty good. I’m about 10 hours in and I don’t see any big issues. Seems cool. Combat and movement is great. You can play that and a bunch of other games for $5/mo with a EA Play sub and just cancel when you get bored with them. Then you can play Madden. This is direct from Steam and only requires that you know once you open the game, it will say installing EA app or whatever, then you hit the steam button and go to resume game and it will finish.

8 hours ago, stepee said:

Unfortunately I guess I’ve played too much Madden recently and have to take off easy mode now I think :(

41-0 as the 49ers vs Cardinals and I just started feeling bad for the AI (but still wouldn’t give them a touchdown)

I have bad news for you, despite the easy mode difficulty that is a realistic outcome.  Play the eagles and see how easy easy mode is. :p

That being said for these games difficultly is just how much the CPU cheats, to really get a good difficulty you need to adjust sliders

:nerd:

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I have bad news for you, despite the easy mode difficulty that is a realistic outcome.  Play the eagles and see how easy easy mode is. :p

That being said for these games difficultly is just how much the CPU cheats, to really get a good difficulty you need to adjust sliders

:nerd:

I know nothing about football so I have no idea if the 49ers are any good these days I thought they hadn’t been in awhile 

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

I know nothing about football so I have no idea if the 49ers are any good these days I thought they hadn’t been in awhile 

Been to the playoffs the last 3 out of 4 years and one of those years went to the superbowl. :p

And Arizona has consistently been one of the worst teams.

• Shocked 1

Definitely no issues with Moonlight with anything like I had worried, and I guess there was no reason to worry as it apparently doesn’t even use vrr lol - it has its own frame pacing and compensation. It’s actually better when I don’t even try to cap it at 90 and just leave my settings on my pc as is because what you don’t want is for the source frame rate to dip below the refresh rate of the device you are playing on.

So yeah, using Moonlight to stream to this display is phenomenal and it’s only going to get better once they get hdr going. 

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

@stepee I get Cyberpunk on Tuesday for the deck. How does that run? I already bought it so...

I played a bit a couple days ago - remove the fucking fsr first thing and just change the res to 1152x720 instead and keep it on the “steam deck” preset - in the main game I was riding around on the motorcycle doing cop chases shooting people and didn’t even notice any dips - In dogtown at the town square where it’s a bit more demanding there were some small dips but nothing you wouldn’t see in any console game.

The shiny lights look real nice with the hdr too.

1 minute ago, stepee said:

I played a bit a couple days ago - remove the fucking fsr first thing and just change the res to 1152x720 instead and keep it on the “steam deck” preset - in the main game I was riding around on the motorcycle doing cop chases shooting people and didn’t even notice any dips - In dogtown at the town square where it’s a bit more demanding there were some small dips but nothing you wouldn’t see in any console game.

Awesome that's great news. Thanks for the tip. 

BTW, how powerful is the deck compared to the xsx and PS5? I am so impressed with the visuals here I'm interested in what it compares too. 

Just now, best3444 said:

Awesome that's great news. Thanks for the tip. 

BTW, how powerful is the deck compared to the xsx and PS5? I am so impressed with the visuals here I'm interested in what it compares too. 

It’s nowhere close :P

It’s like a super charged ps4 more than anything but has some more modern tech, ssd, better bandwidth, more ram, and the main thing is it’s just a smaller screen so it can look like it’s doing more with less. I find native 720p on a 7(.4)” screen looks pretty close to idk like 1800p on a 65” tv from normal viewing distance so that pulls a lot of weight. It’s also harder to notice lots of different imperfections or things like shadow resolution etc.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, stepee said:

It’s nowhere close :P

It’s like a super charged ps4 more than anything but has some more modern tech, ssd, better bandwidth, more ram, and the main thing is it’s just a smaller screen so it can look like it’s doing more with less. I find native 720p on a 7(.4)” screen looks pretty close to idk like 1800p on a 65” tv from normal viewing distance so that pulls a lot of weight. It’s also harder to notice lots of different imperfections or things like shadow resolution etc.

Very interesting. Thank you. 

Well fuck I might have to just order another 2tb WD because the fucking screw holding it down on my rog will NOT budge. I don’t get it. I obviously did this before to get it in there and now I have the extra screw drivers from Xbob’s set which worked great getting it open and I’m all ready to get it out but that ONE fucking screw. 

• Sad 1