Steam Deck OLED - Information Thread, update (08/14): Valve announces (eventual) SteamOS support for ROG Ally

Commissar SFLUFAN

15 minutes ago, stepee said:

What struck me most is I forgot how fucking good the game is. I wish you would have told me about the sale price :P

Lets just call it supporting the developers. 

Yeah I fucked up. I thought about it after I said it, thinking you'd be ok with the version you have and the free version to check it out. Then later I thought that's actually a good deal even if you didn't want to buy it.

At least it's only $30. :p

10 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Yeah I fucked up. I thought about it after I said it, thinking you'd be ok with the version you have and the free version to check it out. Then later I thought that's actually a good deal even if you didn't want to buy it.

At least it's only $30. :p

lol yeah exactly its cheap enough and I usually undercut devs by buying on cdkeys like a dick so :p

I do like having all my fighters on Steam and on whatever handheld I’m using - I like to pick up whichever I want when I get an itch for a few rounds. 

And man this really is one of the best fighters ever. They did such an incredible job with this reboot. I really hope this leads the way to a sequel. And hdr or not those particles on the oled are mmmmmmm

Edit: Also the deck runs this maxed out and scores a perfect score (actually slightly over) on the performance test!

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

lol yeah exactly its cheap enough and I usually undercut devs by buying on cdkeys like a dick so :p

I do like having all my fighters on Steam and on whatever handheld I’m using - I like to pick up whichever I want when I get an itch for a few rounds. 

And man this really is one of the best fighters ever. They did such an incredible job with this reboot. I really hope this leads the way to a sequel. And hdr or not those particles on the oled are mmmmmmm

which fighter game?

3 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

And even if you didn't you could still play it free with a rotating free fighter. Sounds like Stepee doesn't like Eyedol though. :nottalking:

not at all lol

I did online and it was a lot of fun - if I can win in a multiplayer game at all ever I’m pretty happy and won 2 of the 5 rounds but every match was close. I won with Rash once and really demolished the one time I used Sabertooth, he might fit my offensive onslaught style..though this game in general kind of fits that.

10 minutes ago, Biggie said:

How’s Mortal Kombat 11?

The single player mode addition (ie, what replaced Krypt) kinda sucks but I like how the gameplay feels and the addition of the cameos (though I feel like there should be way more options) but I haven’t played the story mode yet. @Kal-El814 can expand more as he played more and beat the story.

Oh man Mass Effect Andromeda’s hdr doesn’t work (not surprising it was always wonky) but it is GORGEOUS on the oled. With the auto settings at 800p it’s running a pretty solid 60fps too. It’s definitely approaching time to tackle this one. I bet the remastered trilogy looks cray here too.

I'm officially decked out. I have played an ungodly amount of hours with it. I'm almost finished with RE4 Remake, GOW 2018, Horizon Zero Dawn, and I already beat TLOU part 1 and Left Behind. I'm on chapter 3 in RDR2 and making progress in Elden Ring. 

That's what happens when you don't have a job. 

• Shocked 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I'm officially decked out. I have played an ungodly amount of hours with it. I'm almost finished with RE4 Remake, GOW 2018, Horizon Zero Dawn, and I already beat TLOU part 1 and Left Behind. I'm on chapter 3 in RDR2 and making progress in Elden Ring. 

That's what happens when you don't have a job. 

I’ve seen you on at some late ass hours lol

Good luck on Elden Ring, that should last you until the next sale..then you can get MGS5 

8 minutes ago, stepee said:

I’ve seen you on at some late ass hours lol

Good luck on Elden Ring, that should last you until the next sale..then you can get MGS5 

Elden Ring looks so good. I still get my ass handed to me. I tried to do what you said about settings in Horizon but it didn't do much. I'm currently researching it now. 

4 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Elden Ring looks so good. I still get my ass handed to me. I tried to do what you said about settings in Horizon but it didn't do much. I'm currently researching it now. 

Its possible it just struggles later in that game (it’s probably the worst Sony port, another studio had to come in and fix it) I only played on through when you know who dies after the trial when shit goes down and then you end up in that cave after rolling down the cliff.

If you had issues during that time though then maybe the settings didn’t stick or something.

If it’s just kind of stuttering here and there, it does have loading stutters you probably can’t mitigate.

• True 1

9 minutes ago, stepee said:

Its possible it just struggles later in that game (it’s probably the worst Sony port, another studio had to come in and fix it) I only played on through when you know who dies after the trial when shit goes down and then you end up in that cave after rolling down the cliff.

If you had issues during that time though then maybe the settings didn’t stick or something.

If it’s just kind of stuttering here and there, it does have loading stutters you probably can’t mitigate.

It's not the settings. Everything was running perfectly fine until about 5 hours in when you really get out into the open world. It chugs here and there but it's not a game breaker. I have just accepted it and I'm still enjoying it. 

I found a nice little hard envelope to put the micro sd card in and figured it would be silly to go in to have my Dad go into usps when I have envelopes, stamps, and a pen. So I dropped it in the outgoing mail so it should go out today since it’s before 5pm.

As I’ve talked about before I have hand coordination issues so my hand writing looks like a toddlers and that’s probably an insult to toddlers so don’t make fun pls :P Normally I avoid sending stuff myself due to that but having my Dad go into the post office during the holiday season for something smaller than a stamp is a bit much.

Anywayyyyy I put the micro sd card in one of those shells that allows it to fit into a regular SD slot to help protect it. So just pop it out of that when you get it @best3444

• Hugs 1

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

I found a nice little hard envelope to put the micro sd card in and figured it would be silly to go in to have my Dad go into usps when I have envelopes, stamps, and a pen. So I dropped it in the outgoing mail so it should go out today since it’s before 5pm.

As I’ve talked about before I have hand coordination issues so my hand writing looks like a toddlers and that’s probably an insult to toddlers so don’t make fun pls :P Normally I avoid sending stuff myself due to that but having my Dad go into the post office during the holiday season for something smaller than a stamp is a bit much.

Anywayyyyy I put the micro sd card in one of those shells that allows it to fit into a regular SD slot to help protect it. So just pop it out of that when you get it @best3444

The only reason I have been able to function as an adult in the workplace was the invention of computers -- no one can read my handwriting.

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

Thank you so much, man. You truly have been a bright spot in my life right now. And don't worry about the hand writing because I write like I'm 2 years old. 

• Hype 1

Just now, AbsolutSurgen said:

The only reason I have been able to function as an adult in the workplace was the invention of computers -- no one can read my handwriting.

YUP. My teachers would always tell me I needed a computer before we got one. I seriously think they just would put a grade on my papers without reading them.

Just now, stepee said:

YUP. My teachers would always tell me I needed a computer before we got one. I seriously think they just would put a grade on my papers without reading them.

You should have seen my directors hand writing at my old job. He was a highly professional man but his hand writing was so poor I could never understand it. I used to write cursive and write well in general in my catholic grade school days but computers have completely erased any writing I used to be able to do. 

2 minutes ago, best3444 said:

You should have seen my directors hand writing at my old job. He was a highly professional man but his hand writing was so poor I could never understand it. I used to write cursive and write well in general in my catholic grade school days but computers have completely erased any writing I used to be able to do. 

I also really try to be careful too, I can’t imagine what mine would look like if I wrote casually. When you have to hand write information at the doctor it is the WORST

• stepee 1

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Post a pic of your handwriting. Thanks 

I hope Valve is planning on improving hdr compatibility including with older games. I imagine most games now will probably work okay as everyone bends to Valve’s will, but there’s a lot of older stuff I’d love to see. Or if they could get their own version of auto hdr that would be amazing. 

I do find most stuff that has an option to turn on hdr in the game that launches directly from Steam without a loader works. But looking around there are still some exceptions and some stuff can be kinda hacked into it working with different methods, but I’m not going to bother with any of that yet since it does work for most things I want to play that actually have hdr. 

Mostly sad the EA stuff, even direct through Steam, still loads the fucking EA launcher which breaks hdr. I did try to hack my way around those but none of the tricks I saw seem to work with EA stuff. NFS Unbound and Andromeda already look stunning on this but man if they had that cherry on top. 

I guess one thing about best being all about those big AAA’s is I don’t think he has anything it doesn’t work on lol

2 hours ago, stepee said:

Oh but Hot Wheels 2 has hdr (so does the first) and mannnnnnnn it looks nice.

Sadly this actually has a game breaking bug where it can’t play any(?) of the videos after the first one so by the third race in the campaign you get a black screen and you can’t skip it so all progress is stopped.

I can remote to my desktop on moonlight when that happens to watch them and then move on but it’s deck verified which is a bad look all around. Apparently this happened in the first patch (i guess this is how it got verified since it didn’t use to do this) like a month ago and has yet to be fixed.

Sad because it runs beautifully otherwise and seems super fun.

53 minutes ago, stepee said:

Good to know! I actually never played the first beyond where I’m at now so it’ll be kind of like a prequel game to me when I get to it.

I like it more than Forbidden West. It's not as bloated and more focused. It's a great game. 

49 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Does Blake shoot and dunk smoother?

Aloy looks much better in this than she does in Forbidden West. The character model is different in a good way. 

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, Biggie said:

Does Blake shoot and dunk smoother?

Not basketball but mannnn you should see Madden on this thing. Just did a match in the rain and it’s so so good. Great for quick pick up and plays too. 

Unfortunately I guess I’ve played too much Madden recently and have to take off easy mode now I think :(

41-0 as the 49ers vs Cardinals and I just started feeling bad for the AI (but still wouldn’t give them a touchdown)

• Hype 1