Steam Deck OLED - Information Thread, update (08/14): Valve announces (eventual) SteamOS support for ROG Ally

Commissar SFLUFAN

Just now, best3444 said:

Yea, it's a bundle for a good price. It's out of stock right now. 

I just saw the Ultimate Edition yeah. Did you already buy it already? Just know if you buy the GOG version (which is what I saw on cdkeys for $43 which is a great price) you’ll have to do this:

WWW.TECHRADAR.COM

Think you can't use your Epic library? Think again

And also sign up for a GOG account of course (and might as well do Epic then while at it for the free games)

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

I just saw the Ultimate Edition yeah. Did you already buy it already? Just know if you buy the GOG version (which is what I saw on cdkeys for $43 which is a great price) you’ll have to do this:

WWW.TECHRADAR.COM

Think you can't use your Epic library? Think again

And also sign up for a GOG account of course (and might as well do Epic then while at it for the free games)

Is that still coming out on on December 5th?

2 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Which I'll get my code then.

I was thinking about buying Starfield. I read it plays well but what are your thoughts?

I only played on ROG while plugged into a wall outlet at like twice the wattage of deck and it ran pretty decent enough but I’m a little skeptical that would be a good experience for deck unless they specifically optimized it. 

I've used Heroic Launcher (and have it installed on my Deck) -- and used it to play EGS games, never a GOG one.  It is not a plug-and-play experience, and I struggled to use it without a Bluetooth mouse/keyboard.  Before spending money on a GOG key, I would suggest getting it up and running with the weekly free EGS game.

• True 1

I was actually going to comment on how slick it was (I just set it up since I bothered looking into it) especially compared to using Lutris which I did last time and setting up the bottles and all that shit.

But yeah there’s a few things that a guide wouldn’t tell you like to remember you need to pull up keyboard by holding down the steam button and hitting the x button. And you need to use touchscreen to hit certain elements, especially if you want to point it to a sd card. Also to change controller config so you can use the right trackpad as a mouse (i really really wish this was steam default). I think those are the main things.

It is a very slick package they set up though. I love how it’s not per game, it’s all linked and my whole epic library is there.

Edit: I do really think for a newcomer that setting up an Epic account, getting whatever free games they have right now, and using that to test before buying anything is a brilliant idea.

29 minutes ago, stepee said:

I only played on ROG while plugged into a wall outlet at like twice the wattage of deck and it ran pretty decent enough but I’m a little skeptical that would be a good experience for deck unless they specifically optimized it. 

I'll pass on Starfield. Any AAA game worth checking out? My mind is cluttered right now. I didn't enjoy Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade at all. Any gems that I'm missing. 

Just now, best3444 said:

I'll pass on Starfield. Any AAA game worth checking out? My mind is cluttered right now. I didn't enjoy Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade at all. Any gems that I'm missing. 

Idk I’d play some of what you have lol but Days Gone is like $12 and runs great 

Look @stepee you have taken @best3444 away from me. We used to talk everyday about console games but now its all about PC games and the Steam Deck.

You both are dead to me.

GIVE ME MY BEST BACK!  

200.gif

• Haha 2
  • True 1

2 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Look @stepee you have taken @best3444 away from me. We used to talk everyday about console games but now its all about PC games and the Steam Deck.

You both are dead to me.

GIVE ME MY BEST BACK!  

200.gif

You just both need to get Robocop on ps5

Also I just want to vent that finding that Heroic article was a pain in the ass because the internet walkthrough world is a cess pool of AI generated garbage. You can just see all the kinda sorta right but wrong words being used thing going on. Just total junk it sucks.

8 minutes ago, stepee said:

Ohhh it’s the Blaxk Friday sale stuff that’s why you are getting so many at once lol

There will be another holiday sale in a month which may have even better discounts though fyi @best3444

I have been definitely checking deals for black Friday. 

8 minutes ago, stepee said:

Ohhh it’s the Blaxk Friday sale stuff that’s why you are getting so many at once lol

There will be another holiday sale in a month which may have even better discounts though fyi @best3444

Thanks for the heads up!

6 minutes ago, Biggie said:

You both are dead to me.

GIVE ME MY BEST BACK!  

200.gif

I'm just living a high right now and I'm trying to get as much information as I can from those on here who know what they are talking about. Absolutely no offense to you and you're my boy. 

3 minutes ago, BasemntDweller2 said:

Do you have game pass? Play cloud games like Starfield on your Steam deck 

How? Yes, I have gamepass.

1 minute ago, stepee said:

Also I just want to vent that finding that Heroic article was a pain in the ass because the internet walkthrough world is a cess pool of AI generated garbage. You can just see all the kinda sorta right but wrong words being used thing going on. Just total junk it sucks.

I just go to youtube. I cant mess with written articles for walk throughs anymore 

11 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I have been definitely checking deals for black Friday. 

Thanks for the heads up!

I'm just living a high right now and I'm trying to get as much information as I can from those on here who know what they are talking about. Absolutely no offense to you and you're my boy. 

How? Yes, I have gamepass.

I would set up an epic account and download the current free game Deliver me to Mars as it’s quite high quality and great looking. You’ll have to use the heroic launcher I posted on the previous page but then you’ll be all set if epic does its daily giveaways again this year. Even if you don’t set up epic yet - download it so you have it - and then you can build a library as you get that going.

Also Black Friday is over it looks like so i wouldn’t buy anything unless it’s a good cdkeys deal until the next sale as it’ll be a rip off

Edit: For setting up the epic account and claiming games you can just use your phone 

Just now, best3444 said:

It seems as though you need to stream this stuff and my connection absolutely cannot handle that. 

Yeah you would at least need to try to see if you can do that modem upgrade (i can’t tell if the router is bad or if it’s your connection..but the modem upgrade should be free so I’d start there)

Damnit I deleted everything I said about believing that hdr does not work if you run a game through another layer such as Heroic and possibly through some launchers because I noticed Dead Island 2 presented me with an hdr option - but that game isn’t marked as supported in Heroic and it crashes after that.

Took forever to get that game working but I finally did (Wine-GE-Proton-7-24 if anyone ever googles this - if it’s still not working and you tried before using this version then you need to delete your wine prefix folder for the game - go into desktop mode and just delete the whole prefix folder for DI2) and it’s just fake hdr lol. It lets you do the setting but steam doesn’t actually report hdr.

I tried Pumpkin Jack and it also lets you select hdr but it is not correct and Steam also does not report it as hdr.

So idk yet if some launchers will also break it - but I’m pretty sure I can confirm if you aren’t at least launching the game through Steam directly (ie using Heroic to launch a game from Epic/GOG) you aren’t getting hdr.

I hope this is helpful random person who may find this in google some day.

Okay I just needed to find the answer out and I realized I actually own Witcher 3 Complete on both GOG and on Steam. And yes, it has hdr on the Steam version and not on the GOG version. So if a game has hdr then you shouldn’t buy it on GOG/Epic, unless you don’t care about that. Maybe the Heroic people can figure that out or something some day. 

Obviously, I’m talking specifically in regards to deck.

@best3444 You need to buy Cyberpunk directly on Steam if you want hdr 

• Thanks 1