Steam Deck OLED - Information Thread, update (08/14): Valve announces (eventual) SteamOS support for ROG Ally

Commissar SFLUFAN

I was actually super impressed with Horizon with the 30fps lock - I did “The Proving” missing which is quite intense with a flood of dinosaurs and npcs in a blizzard and it all held up great. Actually noticed only one 2 second 24fps drop during the entire thing. And it’s crazy that it looks like it would hold up about 4 hours or so with hdr and maxed out screen brightness.

Just now, stepee said:

I was actually super impressed with Horizon with the 30fps lock - I did “The Proving” missing which is quite intense with a flood of dinosaurs and npcs in a blizzard and it all held up great. Actually noticed only one 2 second 24fps drop during the entire thing. And it’s crazy that it looks like it would hold up about 4 hours or so with hdr and maxed out screen brightness.

It's beautiful. 

18 minutes ago, best3444 said:

It reads "ELDEN RING PC (US/MEXICO)"

Is that something I can buy?

Yes. Like Abso said if you click on the listing it’ll show you that “can activate in the United States” - I just checked it. It’s really when you click on it where you want to check. 

Just now, stepee said:

It’s a weird brain fart I have with your username I DONT KNOW WHY

I know my Username is weird -- I was always Surgen before (because some BBSs use to limit your username to 6 characters), but it was already taken by XBL -- and they offered me AbsoluteSurgen (which I took, after I deleted the e -- because of course I did.)

Just now, AbsolutSurgen said:

I know my Username is weird -- I was always Surgen before (because some BBSs use to limit your username to 6 characters), but it was already taken by XBL -- and they offered me AbsoluteSurgen (which I took, after I deleted the e -- because of course I did.)

There was a user with the name AlienGunner that somehow I conflate your name with. Which is weird because you’re cool and I fucking hated that guy - it’s a weird brain tick. 

For some reason actually my Elden Ring download did not start normally now that I think about it. I had to go to the download queue and say download now. Hit the steam key and go to downloads and see if you can force the download to start there. I think it’s putting in the queue for whatever reason. @best3444

13 minutes ago, stepee said:

For some reason actually my Elden Ring download did not start normally now that I think about it. I had to go to the download queue and say download now. Hit the steam key and go to downloads and see if you can force the download to start there. I think it’s putting in the queue for whatever reason. @best3444

Its odd. I think it's dl but it's fucking weird. I really want this game. 

Well steam link still is horrible. I just wanted to see if it has hdr, it does not. It does do some fake hdr thing like if anyone remembers that from older tvs, which is neat I guess besides it looks awful.

But the quality is still bad and it’s still an incredibly inconvenient way of doing it without being able to access your desktop directly.

I just assume Valve has reasons it doesn’t want you to access your full desktop. They could improve the stream though, like Sunshine (platform agnostic Moonlight) is open source..just check the code, Valve :P

Moonlight, however, is stunning on this display!

1 hour ago, stepee said:

@Xbob42 Is there a guide you used to upgrade to the 2tb? Did you clone the existing drive or just install it and use steam recovery via usb/microsd?

Do you really need tools besides a guitar pick and a ssd screwdriver? I did my ROG and I didn’t need any special tweezers on that.

I used this guide to clone my SSD to a USB stick (as my Deck and new SSD weren't here yet) and then cloned that USB drive to my new SSD in my PC when it showed up, as my Deck arrived last. Worked flawlessly. Swapped my SSD before I ever even turned on the new Deck and it booted into SteamOS no problem. Apparently there's a DD command you can use to clone your drive from Linux, but I didn't know about that at the time and while it seems faster and somewhat reliable, I have noticed at least one person having issues with that method. I can't say myself as I have no experience with it.

And after reading several pages of little nancy boys fumbling around and complaining about how "hard" it was to change the SSD in their Steam Deck OLED (on Reset Era), I actually just made my first (and probably only) how-to video using my phone taped up on my monitor like a real redneck. Quality ain't HD but it'll show you the process from start to finish.

• stepee 1
  • Hype 1

15 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I used this guide to clone my SSD to a USB stick (as my Deck and new SSD weren't here yet) and then cloned that USB drive to my new SSD in my PC when it showed up, as my Deck arrived last. Worked flawlessly. Swapped my SSD before I ever even turned on the new Deck and it booted into SteamOS no problem. Apparently there's a DD command you can use to clone your drive from Linux, but I didn't know about that at the time and while it seems faster and somewhat reliable, I have noticed at least one person having issues with that method. I can't say myself as I have no experience with it.

And after reading several pages of little nancy boys fumbling around and complaining about how "hard" it was to change the SSD in their Steam Deck OLED, I actually just made my first (and probably only) how-to video using my phone taped up on my monitor like a real redneck. Quality ain't HD but it'll show you the process from start to finish.

Thank you! I found one video and it was 20 minutes of the guy fumbling with it and having issues all over the place so I had to ask lol - I see now you aren’t really disconnecting anything with the tweezers basically just lifting that tape then sticking it back down.

I read the linux process for cloning - I’m thinking of doing that - I read you need to format first as GBT or it won’t boot right so maybe that is why someone has an issue

Tweezer recommendation? And the thing you use instead of a guitar pick looks good, brand is that?

Thanks again yeah it was real bad when i looked.

And liked and subscribed!

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

Thank you! I found one video and it was 20 minutes of the guy fumbling with it and having issues all over the place so I had to ask lol - I see now you aren’t really disconnecting anything with the tweezers basically just lifting that tape then sticking it back down.

I read the linux process for cloning - I’m thinking of doing that - I read you need to format first as GBT or it won’t boot right so maybe that is why someone has an issue

Tweezer recommendation? And the thing you use instead of a guitar pick looks good, brand is that?

Thanks again yeah it was real bad when i looked.

And liked and subscribed!

I actually just used some metal tweezers I've had lying around for like 10 years, ol' reliable. Think they were just from Walgreens or something. I wanted to use the plastic ones at the start but they're not really meant for a grip like that, the adhesive on the ribbon cable is pretty strong, at least for dinky tweezers like that. But in any case, you could lift it up with your fingers if you wanted, tweezers just make it easier.

The guitar-pick shaped pry tool was actually part of this old joy-con repair kit I got a while back: 

WWW.AMAZON.COM

Amazon.com: Mviioe-GuliKit Switch Joycon Joystick Replacement Switch Joycon Repair Kit, No Drift, Hall Effect Joycon for Switch Controller/Switch OLED/Switch Lite : Video Games

But frankly the longer one I found to work a lot better, you get a ton more leverage. It is harder though so there's a higher chance of minor scuffs or whatever. If you use a guitar pick shaped one, you might need more patience than I had.

• stepee 1

11 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I actually just used some metal tweezers I've had lying around for like 10 years, ol' reliable. Think they were just from Walgreens or something. I wanted to use the plastic ones at the start but they're not really meant for a grip like that, the adhesive on the ribbon cable is pretty strong, at least for dinky tweezers like that. But in any case, you could lift it up with your fingers if you wanted, tweezers just make it easier.

The guitar-pick shaped pry tool was actually part of this old joy-con repair kit I got a while back: 

WWW.AMAZON.COM

Amazon.com: Mviioe-GuliKit Switch Joycon Joystick Replacement Switch Joycon Repair Kit, No Drift, Hall Effect Joycon for Switch Controller/Switch OLED/Switch Lite : Video Games

But frankly the longer one I found to work a lot better, you get a ton more leverage. It is harder though so there's a higher chance of minor scuffs or whatever. If you use a guitar pick shaped one, you might need more patience than I had.

Thanks! I’ll use the pry stick thing - I got that kit and some strong looking generic tweezers - now to wait until Friiiiday - but that’s fine if I’m cloning the drive 

Edit: and if I ever get joycon drift on my latest ones then I’m set!

• Sicko 1

Got emudeck set up and most of my roms over besides ps2 and wii/gc as those folders will each takes a couple hours to transfer to micro sd so Ill do them in two other phases.

I’ve really wanted a good oled emulation device - these games look so much better on oled but also having those pure black borders is key on 4:3 games. I can’t BELIEVE Nintendo never offered an option to turn borders off on the Switch VC stuff. Speaking of, the gigantic 7.4” display also really helps them still be large while maintaining the correct aspect ratio. 

Robocop actually runs okay at 30fps with some drops in firefights (low, ssr reflections, 70% render) - I certainly wouldn’t pick playing on here over a console because it’s such a current gen show off game but it’s more promising for handheld UE5 than I thought for deck/switch 2. Layers of Fear runs fine at 40fps, but that is not so demanding but does look very nice.. Remnant 2 and Immortals…I don’t think I even want to see tho lol (they barely run on ROG even when plugged in)..but I’m glad those two don’t mean UE5 isn’t going to scale at all.