Pixar's "Inside Out 2" (June 14 2024) - Official Trailer

SoberChef

7 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Yeah and I think that’s another win for this movie. I haven’t seen the first and didn’t need any explanation here that the movie doesn’t efficiently provide in the first few minutes. I found plenty to relate to here re: stuck in an anxiety loop of performance measuring. Loved the characters. The animation was beautiful. Loved the metaphors. Even the goofy pun ones. 

I mean, yeah, the second movie is far more impressive if it's the first time you're seeing that world in general, but that's the case with any sequel in that sense. If I saw Empire Strikes Back before A New Hope, my mind would be blown, if I had seen A New Hope first I could still be impressed but not as if I'm seeing that world for the first time. 

I just didn't find the movie incisive, which the first very much was by comparison. This was a fun movie. That was a masterpiece.

4 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

The film also felt "small", where it just happens over one weekend regarding a hockey camp. The first film covered a big event in Riley's life, this felt like . . . not that big a deal.

This is actually one of the things that I really liked about this one. Yes, to you and me as adults, this is just a hockey camp. No big deal. None of this will matter in a few months. But do you remember what it was like to be that age? Everything was so important. I’ve watched my niece go through this in the last few years (she turned 16 this summer). Softball, volleyball, band, summer camp - each new activity is a high stakes thrill. Will I make new friends? Will I lose my old ones? Oh my god, what if I trip and fall on the first day of summer camp and for two weeks everyone will think of me as the girl who can’t walk? Strike out during your first softball practice? Might as well never show up again - you’re terrible. If you don’t make a good impression on the first day, your high school social life could be over before it even began, and that’s a fate worse than death.

….or maybe you didn’t have crippling anxiety as a teen? Must have been nice! :p

• True 1
  • Halal 1

15 hours ago, TheLeon said:

This is actually one of the things that I really liked about this one. Yes, to you and me as adults, this is just a hockey camp. No big deal. None of this will matter in a few months. But do you remember what it was like to be that age? Everything was so important. I’ve watched my niece go through this in the last few years (she turned 16 this summer). Softball, volleyball, band, summer camp - each new activity is a high stakes thrill. Will I make new friends? Will I lose my old ones? Oh my god, what if I trip and fall on the first day of summer camp and for two weeks everyone will think of me as the girl who can’t walk? Strike out during your first softball practice? Might as well never show up again - you’re terrible. If you don’t make a good impression on the first day, your high school social life could be over before it even began, and that’s a fate worse than death.

….or maybe you didn’t have crippling anxiety as a teen? Must have been nice! :p

I completely agree! It just didn't come off as compelling as presented in the film. The stakes are clearly a big deal to Riley, but the movie doesn't do its job (IMHO) in getting the audience (well, me :p) on board with it being compelling. I just had hoped the film would either cover more time, be more about actual school, have more dynamics with other characters, etc. I did not have crippling anxiety as a teen, I know people who did (and do) but not me, this is true. 

To me, Big Mouth does a better job at what Inside Out 2 tried to do. Now that's a show, so they have more time, but yeah.