Shōgun (Hulu/FX | adaptation of James Clavell’s 1975 novel) - update (05/16): seasons 2 and 3 officially in development

My love for this show has only been exceeded by my relief that they did not butcher it! I watched the conclusion last night and was very satisfied. We live and we die. we make, we sink, and we raise boats again. Who can say how many times?  :sun:

Finished. Flawless. Has easily one of the best episodes of television of all time and it’s def a top 5 show of all time for me. Sticks the landing the way GoT should have if they didn’t buy into their own hype and jump the shark.

I finally got around to watching and finishing this. I wasn't hooked until the end of episode 2, with episode 3 fully grabbing me (and it took my wife the same time), but man did it take off. Phenomenal show. Every aspect of it is well crafted.

• Hype 1

Uhhhh...what?

DEADLINE.COM

Hiroyuki Sanada, star and producer of FX's limited series Shōgun, has closed a deal to return as Lord Yoshii Toranaga, sources tell Deadline.

EXCLUSIVE: Hiroyuki Sanada, star and producer of FX‘s limited series Shōgun, has closed a deal to return as Lord Yoshii Toranaga, sources tell Deadline. Securing Sanada, whose character’s journey to become shōgun and lead Japan to an era of peace was chronicled in the 10-episode adaptation of James Clavell’s novel, has been considered crucial to any plan to extend Shogun beyond its original installment.

Other elements are still being worked out and deals are being finalized as part of an effort by FX to take Shogun to a second season in light of the big commercial and critical success of the limited series. The outcome of the effort would determine whether Shōgun would be considered a limited or drama series going forward, which could have major ramifications on the 2024 Emmy race, with the timing of the decision tied to the deadline for Emmy submissions.

• Shocked 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Shōgun (Hulu/FX | adaptation of James Clavell’s 1975 novel) - update (05/10): Hiroyuki Sanada reportedly signs deal for second season (?!?)

It seems very odd to me that they're framing a potential second season in terms of Emmy eligibility. Certainly it's nice to win an Emmy, and Shogun deserves more than a few, but I really hope the determining factor for making more of the show is "do we have a worthwhile story to tell and the confidence to tell it with the same quality" and not simply "this worked out better than expected, lets make more of this thing even if we don't know what to do with it."

• Halal 1

Without Clavell's excellent book to lean on for the show, I can't imagine how they'd replicate his writing for a season 2. The reason the show was so good is because it's based on an excellent book. Let's not forget what happened to Game of Thrones' writing once it went off book. I think this is a bad idea. I'd rather they do another book from Clavell's Asian Saga, Gaijin would be a great one since that takes place in Japan too, moves the time period to another interesting era (1862, around the same time as The Last Samurai takes place, which took a lot from Clavell's work) and also has a descendant of Toranaga as a main character. That character also has the same name as the one in Shogun, Yoshii Toranaga.

Unless that's what they mean for a season 2? Sanada plays another Toranaga in 1862? That would be awesome if they did that, but I assume they mean a direct sequel to Shogun for a season 2.

• True 1

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Without Clavell's excellent book to lean on for the show, I can't imagine how they'd replicate his writing for a season 2. The reason the show was so good is because it's based on an excellent book. Let's not forget what happened to Game of Thrones' writing once it went off book. I think this is a bad idea. I'd rather they do another book from Clavell's Asian Saga, Gaijin would be a great one since that takes place in Japan too, moves the time period to another interesting era (1862, around the same time as The Last Samurai takes place, which took a lot from Clavell's work) and also has a descendant of Toranaga as a main character. That character also has the same name as the one in Shogun, Yoshii Toranaga.

Unless that's what they mean for a season 2? Sanada plays another Toranaga in 1862? That would be awesome if they did that, but I assume they mean a direct sequel to Shogun for a season 2.

It's probably a bad idea but it could also be really good. The game of thrones guys arent writing it. 

The reason I'm totally fine with them doing a second season is because season 1 can stand alone. If it sucks, that doesn't take anything away from how awesome season 1 was. Game of Thrones was different with things building constantly so when they shit the bed it kinda fucked up my enjoyment of the earlier seasons knowing the last seasons were bad and rushed. 

2 hours ago, johnny said:

It's probably a bad idea but it could also be really good. The game of thrones guys arent writing it. 

1 hour ago, johnny said:

Plus, if you get some good writers, there's still the actual history to pull from. Just have somebody who can write some compelling fuckin dialogue. 

I agree it could be good but Clavell's writing is in its own league, which is why Shogun was so good. Without his material and writing and descriptions, it will become very hard to match that quality. I just think you shouldn't bother trying, there's no need. Like, why? Sure, it doesn't need to besmirch the first season, but why taint perfection? It's just unneeded.

WWW.HOLLYWOODREPORTER.COM

Creatives including Justin Marks, Rachel Kondo, Michaela Clavell and Hiroyuki Sanada are all returning as the former limited series will compete for Emmys in the drama categories.

It’s official: FX and Hulu are prepping not one but two more seasons of breakout drama Shōgun.

The Disney-owned network said Thursday that it is teaming with the estate of author James Clavell to extend Shōgun for two additional seasons. The company noted that both seasons are in development, meaning that a two-season renewal depends on how the creative comes in.

A writers room is being assembled and will open in the summer to explore a continuation of Shōgun beyond Clavell’s original novel. Shōgun’s creatives, including co-creators, exec producers and writers Justin Marks and Rachel Kondo, exec producer Michaela Clavell as well as star and producer Hiroyuki Sanada are all involved with the development.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Shōgun (Hulu/FX | adaptation of James Clavell’s 1975 novel) - update (05/16): seasons 2 and 3 officially in development
21 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Which is exactly what the other six books in Clavell's "Asian Saga" are!

Sorry, that's what I meant -- as in, the show should have done one of Clavell's other novels set in a different period. I can see why my wording was confusing :p 

• Halal 1

In regards to those other works of Clavell, being Devil's advocate here, but WHAT IF they adapted them in such a way to incorporate elements into the fallout of this first season? (I haven't read those works so I'm not entirely sure it would or could work, just putting it out there.)

13 minutes ago, SoberChef said:

In regards to those other works of Clavell, being Devil's advocate here, but WHAT IF they adapted them in such a way to incorporate elements into the fallout of this first season? (I haven't read those works so I'm not entirely sure it would or could work, just putting it out there.)

That's kinda impossible as the rest of the novels take place 200 to 300 years later, mostly in China, with one taking place in Iran during the events of the Islamic Revolution in 1979.

• 3 months later...
On 5/3/2024 at 11:45 AM, legend said:

I finally got around to watching and finishing this. I wasn't hooked until the end of episode 2, with episode 3 fully grabbing me (and it took my wife the same time), but man did it take off. Phenomenal show. Every aspect of it is well crafted.

Same here, or maybe it was the end of episode 3 that I was fully hooked. Good show.